Victory Pale Ale | Emmett's Brewing Company

Victory Pale AleVictory Pale Ale

Emmett's Brewing Company
Illinois, United States
emmettsbrewingco.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by mynie on 08-13-2005

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
2.96/5  rDev -22.9%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date. I have no idea why this beer is listed three times on BeerAdvocate, once for Palatine, IL, one for West Dundee, IL, and once again for Downers Grove, IL. They are all within close proximity to where I live, but my particular bottle lists Palatine, IL as it's point of origin. Uncapped and poured into my Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours the standard cloudy burnt sienna orange color with an obnoxious fluffy three and a half finger draft-looking head with a decent amount of retention. Very significant amount of sediment floating around. Reminds me in a way of what the Three Floyds Alpha King looked like, albeit less hoppy and spicy. Fluffy scattered lacing.

S - Has the definitive "wet" hop smell going on for sure. Pine. Citrus.

T - Bitter tasting hops, but perhaps a tad bit too carbonated for my liking. The malts seem to become more dominant in the taste. Although I would enjoy some more hop bite, I'm enjoying the way this beer is balanced. Simple, and not overdone, and I give it mad props for that fact.

M - Very dry finish, not sticky, doesn't linger. Little bit of green apple sugary sweetness lingering around, but faint. A nice tasting brew. Slightly over-carbonated for my liking, but it works well with the feel of this beer.

In all, not a milestone beer by any means, but a decent brew with a sessionable 5.80% abv. A simple, yet modest beer with a high drinkability. Use it to introduce your friends to the realm of good beer. Would definitely try again, especially to see if I could note the difference between a bottle bottled at Palatine and one bottled in Downers Grove.

Emmett's Victory Pale Ale ---3/5.

3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%

12oz bottle - Small & local, the way it should be - No idea of freshness - Poured into a pint glass...

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with one finger of soft white head which vanishes into a cap of haze...

No idea of freshness, damn. I hate not knowing when I beer was bottled...smells pretty fresh though. Slightly citric hops with a bit of sweet malt. A bit floral. Pretty good...

A bit soapy at first, dry and bitter. Floral and earthy with a citrus twist. Bitter. Dry. Not much of a presence from the malts. Still a bit soapy. Not bad but could use a bit of a sweet malt boost...Is it fresh?

Medium bodied and well carbonated. Full amount of flavor and relatively easy drinking. Bitter and dry lingering...

Pretty good beer from a local place. But breweries, PLEASE DATE YOUR BOTTLES! At least Pale Ale's, I hate not knowing if I am drinking a fresh example of a beer. This day in age it should not be difficult for all breweries, small and large to date their bottles (or at least give us a range)...Drinkability score suffers because of this...

3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: light amber, 1 finger fluffy head, patch lacing

S: light grapefruit, pine, mild lemon grass

T: sweet citrus front, pine malt middle, slow subtle bitter finish

M: med/light body, light oily/sticky mouth

O: I would have again, but there are other
brews of this style. Could be a fair session brew.

SOLID, NOT MUST HAVE!

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours a burnt sienna and copper color with a two finger tan head. This recedes to a nice layer of film and a little lacing too after each sip.

The aroma is dry dirt and musty orange peel hops with some biscuits and flour in the aroma.

The taste is a grainy, flour dry texture with those musty orange peels upfront. The middle to the finish is a little more resiny, only faint. And the biscuits balance out the hops a bit.

This is an interetsing beer and worth trying sor a session or twelve. Glad to see this Brewpub has started bottling at leat one of their brews.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a Nonic pint glass. Thanks to Tony for this beer.

It pours a almost clear tangerine with just a small amount of yeast chunks floating from the bottle conditioning. A 2 fingered bone colored head dies down to a healthy ring around the edges. Minimal lacing on the sides of the glass.

The hop smell is interesting. It took me a while t pinpoint it but I finally determined garlic. The dominating smell is just like an Italian garlic bread. I've never had a beer smell like this. I just can't get past the smell. Not a aroma hop choice I would make.

The taste thankfully isn't garlic. It's rather a nice subtle pine with a firm bitterness backed up by a balancing malt character. I'm enjoying it but would like to have a little more hop taste to push me over the edge to make this a great beer.

The mouthfeel is nice and smooth without a lingering bitterness in the mouth. Carbonation is at a perfect level. The beer drinks great and it's very enjoyable. The only thing that's gets me is that garlic on the nose.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield, IL for $1.49. No freshness date or any other information about the beer on the label, except for the 5.6% abv.

The beer poured a hazy deep amber color, but it only produced a thin white rim for a head that dissipated quickly and left no lacing on the glass.

Faint hop and even fainter fruit smell to this. Weak nose.

Big hop flavor to this one - both piny bitterness and grapefruit citusy-ness. Plenty of biscuity malt for balance. Nice if you like your beer on the bitter side - and I do!

Light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation to keep it lively.

Not a bad effort. I liked it.

3.61/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Not sure I am reviewing this in the correct place, but the bottle indicates this was "proudly brewed and bottled in Palatine," so I am putting it here.

A: Light copper in color with about a 1/2" of foamy white head. Little retention, reduces down to a ring around the glass. Minimal lacing. Some chunkies floating around the bottom of the glass.

S: Grapefruit and pine, but not a very strong scent.

T & M: A mild pale. Some toast flavored malt, followed by a moderate pine bitterness. Dry on the tongue. Clean. Medium in weight with appropriate carbonation.

D: A good all-purpose pale ale that would go well with all types of food and would also be easily sessionable. Much better than I expected.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Beer pours an Amber/Copper color, minimal head. First tastes are a little unsettling, and I get an almost soapy taste. A couple more sips and I really get the hops. Tastes very much like a Green Flash West Coast IPA Lite. You can definitely put a couple of these down in no time after the initial soap taste passes, not sure why that is. It was picked up by both myself and my buddy while we were drinking, although it didn't really cause us to put it down. A very drinkable beer. I'd be willing to try this one again to both support a local establishment, and because I REALLY like GF WC IPA but don't always want the ABV that goes with that one.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Slightly hazy copper color. Ok head. Fresh mown grass. Fairly citrus like. Sulfury in spots. Strong hop flavor and bitterness upfront. Caramel like sweetness in the very far back but it's there. Lemon like puckering effect from the hops. Good mouthfeel and a very nice US pale. Solid beer.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Very dark amber with virtually no head or lacing.

S - Urine from a flower-eating cat.

T - Upon first taste, I sense a vague hint of honey and some summery fruit, strawberries perhaps. The hops are present throughout, but they're not as intense as the nose suggests. I thought they were Simcoe at first; now I'm not sure. The finish is bitter; about right for an APA.

M - Nice amount of carbonation and fine mouthfeel all around.

D - I can see this as being readily sessionable for a lot of people. It's well balanced, relatively light, and quite enjoyable.

This is a quality pale ale; no more, no less. If you're into the style, this is definitely worth a try.

Pours, a clear golden color with a finger of white head. Sporatic lacing clings.

The nose has some fruity and pine filled hops with a touch of sweet malt. Very fresh smelling.

Again, nice balance between the hops and malt. A pretty nice flavor of floral hops strikes my palate with a nice bitterness.

The mouthfeel is crisp and light-medium bodied with a dry finish.

Overall, I enjoyed this brew due to a fresh and assertive hoppy bitterness.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast