Grozet | Williams Brothers Brewing Company

Williams Brothers Brewing Company
Scotland, United Kingdom
williamsbrosbrew.com

Style: Scottish Gruit / Ancient Herbed Ale

From the Gaelic "Groseid", Since at least the 16th century Scots monks and alewives brewed indigenous drinks from cereals, wild herbs and ripe fruits. Tibbie Shiels green Grozet was immortalised by such Scots literati as Sir Walter Scott, Jas Hogg. (The Ettrick shepherd) and Robert Burns whoconsidered it a most convivial drink. Brewed with lager malt, wheat, bog myrtle, hops and meadowsweet then secondary fermented with ripe Scottish gooseberries.

Added by canadianbarman on 09-12-2001

3.73/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Highly filtered golden, highly carbonated, 2 finger creamy off white head, sustained head.

S: Light watery malt, almost aa lager type smell combined with watery sour smell, like a watered down juice drink for a child.

T: Very light and watery, medicinal, some sour notes of berry, some herbal notes like sage or some green leafy herb, malt kicks in near the end as well as a bitterness. Feels like someone went into some Scottish herb garden in a barren highland village, cropped up some herbs and added them to the brew along with some berries.

M: Very light and highly carbonated.

O: Loving the concept as described above. Great labeling on the bottle- Came with LCBO’s Ancient Scottish Ales Gift Wrap pack with 3 others. Drank in January 2013.

4.75/5  rDev +34.6%

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Roughly blonde, in color. Some haze. A little bit of carbonation head sits on top, but not much. Gruits come in all shapes and sizes, I suppose. This one... looks like a beer.

I smell wheat and gooseberry fruitiness. Smells like Swedish jam and crackers. Has a British allure to it. Hints of stone fruits and aged hops. Not a whole lot going on.

Firm hop bitterness upfront with wheaty malts and English pale maltiness. Fruity, somewhat. Cloudberry, pear, and tart apricot. Somewhat toasty. Bitterness almost turns into creaminess, late in the drink. Body echoes nearly the same with some mushiness that the carbonation tries to prickle up. A decent beer to pair with food.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

3.42/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Purchased 4-pack of Scottish historic ales from the LCBO. 1/4 is the Grozet, a gooseberry and wheat ale.

A - Light gold in colour with with minimal head retention.

S - Biscuity and meadow-sweet aroma with grassy and fruity notes. If I close my eyes I feel like i'm in a lush forest in the spring time.

T - The lager malts definitely come through. Slightly fruity flavour, although not as prevalent as I would have anticipated.

M - Crisp consistency with almost prickly carbonation and a quick finish.

O - Not overly impressed, but it is a very subtle drink - not one feature dominates. With that said, I expect this to be my least favourite in the 4-pack, mainly because it is brewed with lager malt, which I don't have a good palette for. With that said, others may come to a different conclusion.

3.16/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

The last beer as part of the Williams Bros. 4 pack Sampler Pack. Served chilled.

Appearance - Clear pale mixture of golden and off-orange hues. Only 1/2 finger of frothy head with only Ok retention. Some bubbles rapidly rise to the surface.

Smell - Aromas of low-hanging fruit and rather floral. Tok a few whiffs and could get much more than that.

Taste - Quite fruity with a palpable dry taste and dry bitterness to the beer. Again well-disguised as I wasn't able to pick up much more than that.

Mouthfeel - Medium-low carbonation, dry finish and very soft feeling in the mouth as with other in this style. A bit fizzy feeling despite lower carbonation (although this works in favor of the beer here).

Overall - For whatever reason, I just didn't really enjoy this, one of those situations (to me at least) where the sum of the beer was less than the individual components. I think this is a beer worth revisiting, as I feel that I might evaluate this differently in the future, but i definitely found it to be the weakest beer of the sampler pack.

3.05/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a clear pale golden color with a 1/2 finger white head and good lace. Lots of visible carbonation in the glass.

S: Earthy and a touch musty with an evident ripe berry and fruit backbone. Kiwi, red currant, gooseberry and some wet hay. An almost fruit leather note in there as well.

T: I don't know, kind of just tastes like a weak wheat ale. Underwhelming to say the least. Light slightly sour wheat note that kind of just dies. Some grain, chalky yeast and, yeah, off-tasting wheat. That's about it. Damn it.

3.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

So I picked this up kind of on a whim when I went to the beer store (the best kind of store there is).
Pours a hazy thick orange/amber colour. more bubbles than really head, if that makes sense.
I can't decide how I feel about the aroma on this one. Theres a decidedly fermented characteristic to it that I take to be from the gooseberries. Some herbs and a touch of spice on the back end, but the pervasive characteristic is almost musty. Kind of reminds me of when I worked at a vineyard. Actually, that's the best description I can think of: musty fermented berries and white grapes. There's a hint of sweet somewhere in there as well.

It is sweeter than I expected, with honey being the first thing that hits me, then that musty white grape note comes back. It's sweeter on the tongue than on the nose, and the musty fermented aroma gives way to a fruitier flavour. I actually find myself kind of enjoying it, at least moreso than I expected.

The taste is a little... not quite watery, but trending in that direction (p value not within significance), but I can't say it's thin because it actually has a medium to chewy body, which I find quite appealing. After smelling it, I was concerned that this would be kind of stale and brackish on the tongue, but it's actually quite crisp and refreshing. I find myself pleasantly surprised, and would certainly consider it again.

Grozet from Williams Brothers Brewing Company