Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils

View: Beers
Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 96 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
CraigDeMoss from Kansas

2.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

This beer is hilarious, honestly not sure what this is, looks like piss, tastes like a heavy lager, smells like bready malt and booze, feels like a eastern bloc boot stomp, yikes. It’s decent, but man, the mixed reviews on this have me laughing my ass off

May 05, 2020
BeaverMagnet from Arizona

1.15/5  rDev -52.7%

As a homebrewer, Im familiar with the style. Very on par for a Mr. BEER extract kit that the owner boosted with a sugary adjunct, such as honey or way too much sugar. Tastes acrid, sharp & bitter, like most brews from this hovel of a brewery. I tried their Lobster Lover's beer & it was identical. Drinks like what youd expect a Soviet Bloc country brewing adjunct beers & selling at craft prices to taste like. The bottom shelf at my local gas station would all drink smoother than this Slav piss.

Aug 21, 2019
zeff80 from Missouri

1.71/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

500ml bottle. Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a very, small, white head of foam. It smelled of boozy sweet malt. So much alcohol burn. Little bitterness.

Mar 02, 2019
BenHoppy from Michigan

Here is a brew I've been cellaring for quite a while as I feared it would taste rancid based on reviews of this site. Let me tell you maybe the bad reviews are due to drinking this too fresh or in the wrong glass or the wrong temperature or improper storage, I don't know. But I am drinking a bottle right now that has aged gracefully for 14 years and reminds me of nothing more than J.W. Lee's Barley wine, the only thing missing is some time in the barrel.

Poured at about 44 degrees into a snifter this beer has an appearance of opaque orangish, rustic brown with minimal head. The aroma is of sweet hints of subtle wet cardboard and wet basement yet has some bourbon, caramel, vanilla, fruity woodness mixed in. The flavors are very much of the aroma with some hints of tobacco. I'm telling you if I didn't see the bottle I would have thought it was a J.W. Lee vintage. For $3 this beer kicks ass! It might just need to age and be stored properly. This is for sure the best Lithuanian beer I have ever had. I give it a 5 because well I see nothing wrong with it and if I see it again I'll be sure be buying it again. Think about it J.W. Lees is $10 for 11.2 oz and this is $3 for 22oz.

Feb 17, 2019
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.23/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rinkuškiai "Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils"
16.9 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "L.13021"
$2.99 @ Roger Wilco, Pennsauken, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Cool label. I'm not sure what the santa hat is doing on a guy who looks kind of like the devil, but OK. And what is "naturally fermented beer"? Is there an un-natural way of fermenting beer? I have not heard of that yet but I digress. It pours a clear amber-orange body beneath a short head of bright white that is fizzling away before my eyes. At 15% alcohol though I guess that a little of that is expected. Ahhh, wait, although it's clear, not quite fingerprint-through-the-glass clear, but clear, the bottle says it's "partially filtered, bottle-conditioned" and maybe that's what they mean by "naturally fermented beer". Unfortunately partially filtered is not the same thing as bottle-conditioned, and I highly doubt you'd get much additional carbonation at 14+% alcohol unless you had a really tolerant yeast strain, but OK, here I go getting off-track again, back to the beer. There's some higher alcohol and ethyl acetate in the aroma. Not good. There's some adjunct laden and bready & caramelish malt as well but the nail polish aroma is distracting - big loss of points on that count. Of course, to be honest, I was kind of expecting that. This isn't from Russia, it's from Lithuania, but that's close enough and I've found a lot of the beers from the Baltic region with higher gravities and alcohol contents suffer from hot and fast fermentations. Personally I believe that they actually like this over there, but different strokes for different folks, right? At least it doesn't taste like anti-freeze was added, that's pretty much soley a Russian thing. Moving forward, and if you think I was kidding I wasn't, the flavor reflects those higher alcohols and ethyl acetate as well. It's not the worst I've ever had but it's still not good. I'm only a couple of sips into this and I'm not sure I want to finish it. I fear I might black out, or maybe do something weird if I get drunk on it. It's malty though, and at least I like that; and it's balanced by a low-level bitterness and the hot alcohol which equals a dry finish. There are, unfortunately, no noticeable hops. Perhaps some leafy, grassy, and spicy undertones are there but that's it. No, this is more like the malt prior to distilling Bourbon. Given that it's flawed it's hard to score it well, but at the same time I have had worse so it is what it is, and it gets what it gets. Medium-full in body with a dextrinous side and a moderate, soft carbonation that leaves it smooth and doesn't amplify the alcohol or heat that's there. Not the best by any means, but certainly not undrinkable.

Nov 05, 2017
MegaManX from New York

The look is that of a Samuel Adams Boston lager. The smell and taste is basically the same. Decent beer that has been sitting in a rusty bucket, it even slightly stings. THE FEEL!!!! This is where this beer shines. When you consider the alcohol content, it is so light and easy to drink. It has the alcohol of four beers and comes in 16.6oz bottles!
It doesn't taste like one of those iced beers, it's not thick, it won't make you puke if you chug it(which has happened to me with King Cobra and Natty Daddy). If you put a little thought, and calculate the amount of alcohol in this drink, the taste and feel are far better than anything else in the range. I will definitely buy again.

Oct 11, 2017
mark5692 from New York

1.06/5  rDev -56.4%

This was so disgusting, I didn't know how to describe it. It pours decent, but the smell is overwhelmingly terrible. It wreaks of stale, disgusting bourbon mixed with a even more stale and disgusting beer that's mixed with a stronger taste of alcohol than Everclear. Just don't do it. Stay away from it.

Aug 09, 2017
Suds from Missouri

2.57/5  rDev +5.8%

This is an amber colored brew...slim head and a medium clear complexion. The aroma is boozy with an off-putting caramel scent. Strong, alcoholic, sweet, and ill-conceived. It's like a sweet, alcoholic excuse for a beer. Not at all reminiscent of a pilsener. Disappointing.

Aug 06, 2017
MacMalt from New Jersey

2.3/5  rDev -5.3%

I received a single bottle of this Lithuanian "Imperial Pils" as a "gift" from a friend and didn't know what to expect. I've found some Eastern European beers to be surprisingly good. Poured from 16.9 oz. bottle into pilsner glass. It pours an orange-bronze color with a very thin, ecru-colored head. It smells of sweet malt, brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruit. The smell is vaguely reminiscent of a Barleywine. The taste, though, is awful: cloyingly sweet with astringent alcohol; there's nothing subtle about this . . . and nothing good, either. It's bereft of carbonation and the booziness is over the top. This may be the least pleasant beer I've had. Don't let the look and smell fool you; it's simply dreadful stuff!

Jan 05, 2017
Brutaltruth from Ohio

2.29/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From the bottle in a snifter. This head banger lager pours a clear and bright amber
with a light head of foam that fizzles flat and...well.....flat out gone. No nothing to speak
of. Nose of brown sugar stewed apples and astringent alcohol. Flavors follow with stewed
apples and slick malts with a warming almost clean finish. Decent mouth feel for such a beast;
slick, smooth, and warm as a camp fire in the belly. Overall, if you want a fast beer buzz this works
fine.....you can also get light headed fast by holding your breath and standing up fast from a seated
position......just about the same effect. Poor mans barley wine with little else to it other than a wino's
desire.

Sep 25, 2016
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

2.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

(16.9 oz bottle, code L.05271... red tag around the bottle neck, touting its '15%' potency... poured into a fluted goblet)

L: chill-hazy, medium amber-colored liquid... sizzly head builds then implodes, no foamy collar to speak of... no suspended sediment - I guess that's a good sign... does clear up... if this was cognac, it looks just fine - for beer, a liquid red flag

S: cheap homebrew barleywine, perhaps vaguely like an English strong ale... no boozy smell, very weak alcohol really - which is a bad sign, something might be off... no pilsner-like hop profile... potent medium-dark malt aromas, little else

T: nothing 'pilsner'-y here... just about syrupy-sweet, toasty-acidic... background peppery twang... weed stem bitterness and flavor in the aftertaste... dominant flavor left over is that of having just power-licked an aluminum pot

F: approaching full-bodied, certainly some warmth in the back of the palate... take away the flavor, this flows and feels like a liqueur... between the alcohol and bitterness, my taste buds feel like they been deep-tissue massaged by newsprint paper

O: tastes like vodka-infused wort, at best - doubt this product reaches 15%... don't be tempted by its low price, it's low quality... one of the most amateurish commercial beers I've had in recent memory - like a fermentation failure salvaged and bottled... dumped the remaining 3/4 of the bottle probably

Sep 10, 2016
BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

2.45/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

From the bottle, it pours amber with virtually no head and few bubbles. The nose gets the alcohol and some malt. The mouth is the same - no carbonation bite, a little bit of malt and lots of alcohol.

Sep 07, 2016
0_0 from New Jersey

2.43/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 3

L - Bronze
S - Reminds me of barrels, wood, malt
T - Alcohol, grain, malt, alcohol
F - Like fire and brimstone
O - The death of my liver is palpable.

Jul 29, 2016
ohiobeer29 from Ohio

Picked this up for a $1 at piggly wiggly didn't expect much but syrupy a malt a little hoppyness and a ton of alcohol and burn for a $1 I'd pick up a case as this one gets it done nothing to write home about but drinks ok

Jun 04, 2016
Tone from Missouri

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong alcohol, sweet malt, caramel malt, burnt toast, dark citrus, and a hint of yeast. Fits the style of an Euro Strong Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, strong alcohol, yeast, slight dark citrus, slight caramel malt, and a hint of burnt toast. Overall, weak appearance, strong body, decent blend, but still average at best.

May 18, 2016
smbslt from Illinois

2.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

An impressive amber color with a minimal tan head that was not replenished due to the lat of carbonation ad dissipated quickly.

Sweet liquor, apricot brandy maybe.

Overly sweet with some alcohol - but not nearly as much as the 15 abv listed on the label.

Thick, very syrupy not surprising but not appreciated.

I'm sure there is a time and place for this one.

Mar 26, 2016
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

2.91/5  rDev +19.8%

I was down in DC around the 2015 holidays (ostensibly) to visit my aunt & uncle, but partially to seek out new beers to drink. I was on my way back to their place from the Friendship Heights Metro station when I saw a window advertisement for World Market and something flashed in my mind that they carry a small assortment of beers & so I went in to take a look. The selection was not all that impressive, although I managed to build a mixed sixer and on the way out, I spied this bottle sitting on a clearance table. While most people might run in the other direction from such things, for me, it was a clarion call! This brewski and I are crazy!

From the bottle: "Partially filtered, bottle-conditioned".

I Pop!ped the cap, but I was uncertain as to how to proceed with that "partially filtered" business. I went with a gentle pour that produced only wisps. An agitation of the liquid stubbornly brought forth a momentary finger of tawny head that quickly reverted to wisps. I spilled a little on my hand and it proved to be some of the stickiest stuff that I had ever encountered! Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. The nose was extremely sweet, like toffee or caramelized sugar. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but its decided lack of carbonation kept it from achieving fullness. It had a decidedly dollop-like quality on the tongue, though. It just sat defiantly, awaiting my next move. The taste was really sweet & sugary, beyond simple maltiness, this was like dumping a bag of sugar into a pitcher with Kool-Aid mix, adding water and stirring. It was sugary & malty to the point of saturation. Having established that piece of the puzzle, the next thing to hit was its heat. As a previous reviewer remarked, at 15% ABV, this is up there with wine, or put otherwise, this is a 30 proof beer! Phew! They could have distilled this and no one would have been the wiser. I didn't really catch it until the finish, when my gullet suddenly lit up like I had swallowed barium. This leads me to my next aspect - it is a Sneaky Pete! The labeling cops to its intensity, but the taste gives nothing away initially, and then, out of nowhere, it comes with a rabbit punch to the fontanelle at the base of the neck, rendering one nearly unconscious! I consider myself a seasoned beer drinker, but this had an immediate, adverse effect on me. Why would they brew something this strong? It must render the average consumer crazy! The big takeaway on this, for me, was that it was not unpleasant (think Manjit & Ravinder Minhas products), making it just that much more dangerous. I felt no guilt or shame, just a creeping drunkenness that seemed to increase with every sip.

Jan 19, 2016
GarthDanielson from Virginia

2.53/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber into a shaker pint, the beer is a hazy copper coloring with a thin halo of white head. Aromas of tangy sweet malt notes, and some farmhouse skunky characters. Flavors are caramel rich and tangy forward, like a straight malt extract. This is swill, seriously. Wow. The body is full and slick. There is no mistaking what you are suffering through on this one. Good lord. The higher ABV builds a warmth as you go, and the finish has a solid linger of shame and regret. In all honesty, this is an extremely out of balance, over-boozed take on an imperial lager, and it missed.

Jan 03, 2016
metter98 from New York

2.37/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: The beer is clear dark yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head consisting of large bubbles that quickly died down, leaving bits of lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of alcohol are present in the nose along with notes of bready malts.
T: The taste has flavors of alcohol; these stand out in front of hints of bready malts grassy hops and bits of sugary sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a heavy dose of alcohol in the taste, but isn't as bad as some malt liquor store that I've had, especially when considering its high abv. The drinkability does deteriorate as the beer warms up.

Nov 14, 2015
bogiestl from Missouri

1.32/5  rDev -45.7%

Is good beer. Is strong beer. Like smell of fine Lithuanian Ox. And stronger. Maybe as strong as Lithuanian barmaid. Excellent for the intended use of cleaning shipping grease from inferior Russian weapons.

Rated higher overall because drank some, and do not mind smell or taste of grease on AK-47 any more.

Nov 07, 2015
tone77 from Pennsylvania

2.98/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a orange/amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, caramel, alcohol. Taste is malty, alcohol, sugary, more alcohol, not good but not horrible. Feels light and sugary in the mouth and overall, not a good beer, but based on the reviews here, and the young man at the liquor store's negative comments, it's better than I expected.

Oct 13, 2015
HabaJohn from Illinois

2.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Terribly sweet, I suppose it's to cover up the 15% alcohol. Nice color, besides the extreme sugar content the taste is ok. It's a cheap Lithuanian brew

Oct 10, 2015
WestmontStorm from Illinois

There was a half bottle of white Zinfandel in our fridge when I was growing up. It sat there for years. One day I grabbed it and took a slug from the bottle. It was old nasty vinegary booze. This beer took me right back to that day.
F***ing awful!!!

Jun 22, 2015
TopherBreski from New Jersey

1.28/5  rDev -47.3%

Caramel color with a lot of carbonation - great look. The smell is awful; I took a sniff and my girlfriend asked if I was ok. The taste; is like an ultra heavy Olde English; I can't determine a taste because it's so alcohol heavy.

Apr 17, 2015
are_doubleyou from Illinois

2.06/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

L: Pours a deep golden color, that is a bit too dark for something marketed as a pils in my opinion, with a nice white head that dissipates into a very fine lace. The beer is very clear with some carbonation.

S: Very strong aromas of sweet caramel and alcohol. There is also a strange pungent smell underneath that I can't place. I'm searching for any hints of hops, but I can't find them behind the alcohol. Unless that weirdly pungent scent is the hops. Not very appealing unless you want to get drunk fast.

T: There is a sweet caramel flavor that is quickly swept away by a grain alcohol flavor. There is grassiness that I imagine is the hop flavor, but it isn't much. Ever wanted to depth charge a Märzen with a shot of everclear? This is your beer.

F: It even feels boozy. Usually I hold beer in my mouth for a few seconds to get more descriptions, but this one demands to go down quickly or it will burn your palate. It is thick and malty, but any lager crispness is overwhelmed by alcohol.

O: A friend gave me this as a solstice gift mostly for the label, ABV and the curiosity of Lithuanian beer. I texted him that it tasted like they channeled their Soviet oppression into a bottle. I'm going to stand by that. This doesn't live up to my hopes for an Imperial Pilsner and is the first beer I've had in the Euro Strong Lager category here. If you want to get drunk enough to forget about the cold, this beer will be there for you. If you to taste beer instead of booze, go elsewhere.

This beer was poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass and inebriated me at apx 55F.

Jan 02, 2015