Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils | Rinkuškiai

rinkuskiai.lt

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Added by Drknight on 10-26-2013

3.23/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rinkuškiai "Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils"
16.9 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "L.13021"
$2.99 @ Roger Wilco, Pennsauken, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Cool label. I'm not sure what the santa hat is doing on a guy who looks kind of like the devil, but OK. And what is "naturally fermented beer"? Is there an un-natural way of fermenting beer? I have not heard of that yet but I digress. It pours a clear amber-orange body beneath a short head of bright white that is fizzling away before my eyes. At 15% alcohol though I guess that a little of that is expected. Ahhh, wait, although it's clear, not quite fingerprint-through-the-glass clear, but clear, the bottle says it's "partially filtered, bottle-conditioned" and maybe that's what they mean by "naturally fermented beer". Unfortunately partially filtered is not the same thing as bottle-conditioned, and I highly doubt you'd get much additional carbonation at 14+% alcohol unless you had a really tolerant yeast strain, but OK, here I go getting off-track again, back to the beer. There's some higher alcohol and ethyl acetate in the aroma. Not good. There's some adjunct laden and bready & caramelish malt as well but the nail polish aroma is distracting - big loss of points on that count. Of course, to be honest, I was kind of expecting that. This isn't from Russia, it's from Lithuania, but that's close enough and I've found a lot of the beers from the Baltic region with higher gravities and alcohol contents suffer from hot and fast fermentations. Personally I believe that they actually like this over there, but different strokes for different folks, right? At least it doesn't taste like anti-freeze was added, that's pretty much soley a Russian thing. Moving forward, and if you think I was kidding I wasn't, the flavor reflects those higher alcohols and ethyl acetate as well. It's not the worst I've ever had but it's still not good. I'm only a couple of sips into this and I'm not sure I want to finish it. I fear I might black out, or maybe do something weird if I get drunk on it. It's malty though, and at least I like that; and it's balanced by a low-level bitterness and the hot alcohol which equals a dry finish. There are, unfortunately, no noticeable hops. Perhaps some leafy, grassy, and spicy undertones are there but that's it. No, this is more like the malt prior to distilling Bourbon. Given that it's flawed it's hard to score it well, but at the same time I have had worse so it is what it is, and it gets what it gets. Medium-full in body with a dextrinous side and a moderate, soft carbonation that leaves it smooth and doesn't amplify the alcohol or heat that's there. Not the best by any means, but certainly not undrinkable.

The look is that of a Samuel Adams Boston lager. The smell and taste is basically the same. Decent beer that has been sitting in a rusty bucket, it even slightly stings. THE FEEL!!!! This is where this beer shines. When you consider the alcohol content, it is so light and easy to drink. It has the alcohol of four beers and comes in 16.6oz bottles!
It doesn't taste like one of those iced beers, it's not thick, it won't make you puke if you chug it(which has happened to me with King Cobra and Natty Daddy). If you put a little thought, and calculate the amount of alcohol in this drink, the taste and feel are far better than anything else in the range. I will definitely buy again.

1.06/5  rDev -56.7%

This was so disgusting, I didn't know how to describe it. It pours decent, but the smell is overwhelmingly terrible. It wreaks of stale, disgusting bourbon mixed with a even more stale and disgusting beer that's mixed with a stronger taste of alcohol than Everclear. Just don't do it. Stay away from it.

2.57/5  rDev +4.9%

This is an amber colored brew...slim head and a medium clear complexion. The aroma is boozy with an off-putting caramel scent. Strong, alcoholic, sweet, and ill-conceived. It's like a sweet, alcoholic excuse for a beer. Not at all reminiscent of a pilsener. Disappointing.

1.38/5  rDev -43.7%

2.88/5  rDev +17.6%

2.83/5  rDev +15.5%

2.3/5  rDev -6.1%

I received a single bottle of this Lithuanian "Imperial Pils" as a "gift" from a friend and didn't know what to expect. I've found some Eastern European beers to be surprisingly good. Poured from 16.9 oz. bottle into pilsner glass. It pours an orange-bronze color with a very thin, ecru-colored head. It smells of sweet malt, brown sugar, caramel, and dark fruit. The smell is vaguely reminiscent of a Barleywine. The taste, though, is awful: cloyingly sweet with astringent alcohol; there's nothing subtle about this . . . and nothing good, either. It's bereft of carbonation and the booziness is over the top. This may be the least pleasant beer I've had. Don't let the look and smell fool you; it's simply dreadful stuff!

2.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.78/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.07/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.3/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.29/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From the bottle in a snifter. This head banger lager pours a clear and bright amber
with a light head of foam that fizzles flat and...well.....flat out gone. No nothing to speak
of. Nose of brown sugar stewed apples and astringent alcohol. Flavors follow with stewed
apples and slick malts with a warming almost clean finish. Decent mouth feel for such a beast;
slick, smooth, and warm as a camp fire in the belly. Overall, if you want a fast beer buzz this works
fine.....you can also get light headed fast by holding your breath and standing up fast from a seated
position......just about the same effect. Poor mans barley wine with little else to it other than a wino's
desire.

2.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

(16.9 oz bottle, code L.05271... red tag around the bottle neck, touting its '15%' potency... poured into a fluted goblet)

L: chill-hazy, medium amber-colored liquid... sizzly head builds then implodes, no foamy collar to speak of... no suspended sediment - I guess that's a good sign... does clear up... if this was cognac, it looks just fine - for beer, a liquid red flag

S: cheap homebrew barleywine, perhaps vaguely like an English strong ale... no boozy smell, very weak alcohol really - which is a bad sign, something might be off... no pilsner-like hop profile... potent medium-dark malt aromas, little else

T: nothing 'pilsner'-y here... just about syrupy-sweet, toasty-acidic... background peppery twang... weed stem bitterness and flavor in the aftertaste... dominant flavor left over is that of having just power-licked an aluminum pot

F: approaching full-bodied, certainly some warmth in the back of the palate... take away the flavor, this flows and feels like a liqueur... between the alcohol and bitterness, my taste buds feel like they been deep-tissue massaged by newsprint paper

O: tastes like vodka-infused wort, at best - doubt this product reaches 15%... don't be tempted by its low price, it's low quality... one of the most amateurish commercial beers I've had in recent memory - like a fermentation failure salvaged and bottled... dumped the remaining 3/4 of the bottle probably

1.52/5  rDev -38%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

2.45/5  rDev 0%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

From the bottle, it pours amber with virtually no head and few bubbles. The nose gets the alcohol and some malt. The mouth is the same - no carbonation bite, a little bit of malt and lots of alcohol.

2.43/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 3

L - Bronze
S - Reminds me of barrels, wood, malt
T - Alcohol, grain, malt, alcohol
F - Like fire and brimstone
O - The death of my liver is palpable.

Picked this up for a $1 at piggly wiggly didn't expect much but syrupy a malt a little hoppyness and a ton of alcohol and burn for a $1 I'd pick up a case as this one gets it done nothing to write home about but drinks ok

2.85/5  rDev +16.3%

2.75/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.88/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong alcohol, sweet malt, caramel malt, burnt toast, dark citrus, and a hint of yeast. Fits the style of an Euro Strong Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, strong alcohol, yeast, slight dark citrus, slight caramel malt, and a hint of burnt toast. Overall, weak appearance, strong body, decent blend, but still average at best.

2.03/5  rDev -17.1%

2.67/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

An impressive amber color with a minimal tan head that was not replenished due to the lat of carbonation ad dissipated quickly.

Sweet liquor, apricot brandy maybe.

Overly sweet with some alcohol - but not nearly as much as the 15 abv listed on the label.

Thick, very syrupy not surprising but not appreciated.

I'm sure there is a time and place for this one.

2.55/5  rDev +4.1%

2.91/5  rDev +18.8%

I was down in DC around the 2015 holidays (ostensibly) to visit my aunt & uncle, but partially to seek out new beers to drink. I was on my way back to their place from the Friendship Heights Metro station when I saw a window advertisement for World Market and something flashed in my mind that they carry a small assortment of beers & so I went in to take a look. The selection was not all that impressive, although I managed to build a mixed sixer and on the way out, I spied this bottle sitting on a clearance table. While most people might run in the other direction from such things, for me, it was a clarion call! This brewski and I are crazy!

From the bottle: "Partially filtered, bottle-conditioned".

I Pop!ped the cap, but I was uncertain as to how to proceed with that "partially filtered" business. I went with a gentle pour that produced only wisps. An agitation of the liquid stubbornly brought forth a momentary finger of tawny head that quickly reverted to wisps. I spilled a little on my hand and it proved to be some of the stickiest stuff that I had ever encountered! Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. The nose was extremely sweet, like toffee or caramelized sugar. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but its decided lack of carbonation kept it from achieving fullness. It had a decidedly dollop-like quality on the tongue, though. It just sat defiantly, awaiting my next move. The taste was really sweet & sugary, beyond simple maltiness, this was like dumping a bag of sugar into a pitcher with Kool-Aid mix, adding water and stirring. It was sugary & malty to the point of saturation. Having established that piece of the puzzle, the next thing to hit was its heat. As a previous reviewer remarked, at 15% ABV, this is up there with wine, or put otherwise, this is a 30 proof beer! Phew! They could have distilled this and no one would have been the wiser. I didn't really catch it until the finish, when my gullet suddenly lit up like I had swallowed barium. This leads me to my next aspect - it is a Sneaky Pete! The labeling cops to its intensity, but the taste gives nothing away initially, and then, out of nowhere, it comes with a rabbit punch to the fontanelle at the base of the neck, rendering one nearly unconscious! I consider myself a seasoned beer drinker, but this had an immediate, adverse effect on me. Why would they brew something this strong? It must render the average consumer crazy! The big takeaway on this, for me, was that it was not unpleasant (think Manjit & Ravinder Minhas products), making it just that much more dangerous. I felt no guilt or shame, just a creeping drunkenness that seemed to increase with every sip.

Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils from Rinkuškiai