Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils | Rinkuškiai

Added by Drknight on 10-26-2013

View: Beers
Reviews by watermelon:
2.44/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

16.9 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Purchased the single bottle for $3.50 at 15% I couldn't pass this up.

A: Orange-amber body with an off white one finger head. Some lacing as well as a ring of retention around the rim.

S: I mostly smell honey and malty sugar adjunct grains as well.

T: Carmel malts and booze. Lots of sugar

M: Thick and syrupy. Fair amount of heat as can be expected with a 15% beer. Its a bit hard to put down.

O: If you see it give it a shot. For $3 whats to lose? It wasn't awesome but it was better then I thought it would be.

2.25/5  rDev -7.4%

3.75/5  rDev +54.3%

3.25/5  rDev +33.7%

2.83/5  rDev +16.5%

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

2.36/5  rDev -2.9%

3.23/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rinkuškiai "Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils"
16.9 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "L.13021"
$2.99 @ Roger Wilco, Pennsauken, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Cool label. I'm not sure what the santa hat is doing on a guy who looks kind of like the devil, but OK. And what is "naturally fermented beer"? Is there an un-natural way of fermenting beer? I have not heard of that yet but I digress. It pours a clear amber-orange body beneath a short head of bright white that is fizzling away before my eyes. At 15% alcohol though I guess that a little of that is expected. Ahhh, wait, although it's clear, not quite fingerprint-through-the-glass clear, but clear, the bottle says it's "partially filtered, bottle-conditioned" and maybe that's what they mean by "naturally fermented beer". Unfortunately partially filtered is not the same thing as bottle-conditioned, and I highly doubt you'd get much additional carbonation at 14+% alcohol unless you had a really tolerant yeast strain, but OK, here I go getting off-track again, back to the beer. There's some higher alcohol and ethyl acetate in the aroma. Not good. There's some adjunct laden and bready & caramelish malt as well but the nail polish aroma is distracting - big loss of points on that count. Of course, to be honest, I was kind of expecting that. This isn't from Russia, it's from Lithuania, but that's close enough and I've found a lot of the beers from the Baltic region with higher gravities and alcohol contents suffer from hot and fast fermentations. Personally I believe that they actually like this over there, but different strokes for different folks, right? At least it doesn't taste like anti-freeze was added, that's pretty much soley a Russian thing. Moving forward, and if you think I was kidding I wasn't, the flavor reflects those higher alcohols and ethyl acetate as well. It's not the worst I've ever had but it's still not good. I'm only a couple of sips into this and I'm not sure I want to finish it. I fear I might black out, or maybe do something weird if I get drunk on it. It's malty though, and at least I like that; and it's balanced by a low-level bitterness and the hot alcohol which equals a dry finish. There are, unfortunately, no noticeable hops. Perhaps some leafy, grassy, and spicy undertones are there but that's it. No, this is more like the malt prior to distilling Bourbon. Given that it's flawed it's hard to score it well, but at the same time I have had worse so it is what it is, and it gets what it gets. Medium-full in body with a dextrinous side and a moderate, soft carbonation that leaves it smooth and doesn't amplify the alcohol or heat that's there. Not the best by any means, but certainly not undrinkable.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Picked this up for a $1 at piggly wiggly didn't expect much but syrupy a malt a little hoppyness and a ton of alcohol and burn for a $1 I'd pick up a case as this one gets it done nothing to write home about but drinks ok

2.29/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

From the bottle in a snifter. This head banger lager pours a clear and bright amber
with a light head of foam that fizzles flat and...well.....flat out gone. No nothing to speak
of. Nose of brown sugar stewed apples and astringent alcohol. Flavors follow with stewed
apples and slick malts with a warming almost clean finish. Decent mouth feel for such a beast;
slick, smooth, and warm as a camp fire in the belly. Overall, if you want a fast beer buzz this works can also get light headed fast by holding your breath and standing up fast from a seated
position......just about the same effect. Poor mans barley wine with little else to it other than a wino's

2.98/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a orange/amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, caramel, alcohol. Taste is malty, alcohol, sugary, more alcohol, not good but not horrible. Feels light and sugary in the mouth and overall, not a good beer, but based on the reviews here, and the young man at the liquor store's negative comments, it's better than I expected.

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%

1.75/5  rDev -28%

1.52/5  rDev -37.4%

3.56/5  rDev +46.5%

2.37/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: The beer is clear dark yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head consisting of large bubbles that quickly died down, leaving bits of lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of alcohol are present in the nose along with notes of bready malts.
T: The taste has flavors of alcohol; these stand out in front of hints of bready malts grassy hops and bits of sugary sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a heavy dose of alcohol in the taste, but isn't as bad as some malt liquor store that I've had, especially when considering its high abv. The drinkability does deteriorate as the beer warms up.

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%

2.03/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

2.06/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

L: Pours a deep golden color, that is a bit too dark for something marketed as a pils in my opinion, with a nice white head that dissipates into a very fine lace. The beer is very clear with some carbonation.

S: Very strong aromas of sweet caramel and alcohol. There is also a strange pungent smell underneath that I can't place. I'm searching for any hints of hops, but I can't find them behind the alcohol. Unless that weirdly pungent scent is the hops. Not very appealing unless you want to get drunk fast.

T: There is a sweet caramel flavor that is quickly swept away by a grain alcohol flavor. There is grassiness that I imagine is the hop flavor, but it isn't much. Ever wanted to depth charge a Märzen with a shot of everclear? This is your beer.

F: It even feels boozy. Usually I hold beer in my mouth for a few seconds to get more descriptions, but this one demands to go down quickly or it will burn your palate. It is thick and malty, but any lager crispness is overwhelmed by alcohol.

O: A friend gave me this as a solstice gift mostly for the label, ABV and the curiosity of Lithuanian beer. I texted him that it tasted like they channeled their Soviet oppression into a bottle. I'm going to stand by that. This doesn't live up to my hopes for an Imperial Pilsner and is the first beer I've had in the Euro Strong Lager category here. If you want to get drunk enough to forget about the cold, this beer will be there for you. If you to taste beer instead of booze, go elsewhere.

This beer was poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass and inebriated me at apx 55F.

1.32/5  rDev -45.7%

Is good beer. Is strong beer. Like smell of fine Lithuanian Ox. And stronger. Maybe as strong as Lithuanian barmaid. Excellent for the intended use of cleaning shipping grease from inferior Russian weapons.

Rated higher overall because drank some, and do not mind smell or taste of grease on AK-47 any more.

2.08/5  rDev -14.4%

2.07/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

3.5/5  rDev +44%