Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils

Reviews: 30 | Ratings: 96 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by zeff80:
zeff80 from Missouri

1.71/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

500ml bottle. Poured out a clear, golden amber color with a very, small, white head of foam. It smelled of boozy sweet malt. So much alcohol burn. Little bitterness.

Mar 02, 2019
jdhilt from New Hampshire

3.24/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a three finger white head that fades quickly leaving no lace. Almost clear, amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight grassy nose and flavor is a lot of caramel sweetness hiding the very high ABV. Strange, sweet bitter aftertaste. $4.80 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

Dec 26, 2014
Suds from Missouri

2.57/5  rDev +5.8%

This is an amber colored brew...slim head and a medium clear complexion. The aroma is boozy with an off-putting caramel scent. Strong, alcoholic, sweet, and ill-conceived. It's like a sweet, alcoholic excuse for a beer. Not at all reminiscent of a pilsener. Disappointing.

Aug 06, 2017
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

3.23/5  rDev +32.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Rinkuškiai "Crazy Brewski Imperial Pils"
16.9 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "L.13021"
$2.99 @ Roger Wilco, Pennsauken, NJ

Notes via stream of consciousness: Cool label. I'm not sure what the santa hat is doing on a guy who looks kind of like the devil, but OK. And what is "naturally fermented beer"? Is there an un-natural way of fermenting beer? I have not heard of that yet but I digress. It pours a clear amber-orange body beneath a short head of bright white that is fizzling away before my eyes. At 15% alcohol though I guess that a little of that is expected. Ahhh, wait, although it's clear, not quite fingerprint-through-the-glass clear, but clear, the bottle says it's "partially filtered, bottle-conditioned" and maybe that's what they mean by "naturally fermented beer". Unfortunately partially filtered is not the same thing as bottle-conditioned, and I highly doubt you'd get much additional carbonation at 14+% alcohol unless you had a really tolerant yeast strain, but OK, here I go getting off-track again, back to the beer. There's some higher alcohol and ethyl acetate in the aroma. Not good. There's some adjunct laden and bready & caramelish malt as well but the nail polish aroma is distracting - big loss of points on that count. Of course, to be honest, I was kind of expecting that. This isn't from Russia, it's from Lithuania, but that's close enough and I've found a lot of the beers from the Baltic region with higher gravities and alcohol contents suffer from hot and fast fermentations. Personally I believe that they actually like this over there, but different strokes for different folks, right? At least it doesn't taste like anti-freeze was added, that's pretty much soley a Russian thing. Moving forward, and if you think I was kidding I wasn't, the flavor reflects those higher alcohols and ethyl acetate as well. It's not the worst I've ever had but it's still not good. I'm only a couple of sips into this and I'm not sure I want to finish it. I fear I might black out, or maybe do something weird if I get drunk on it. It's malty though, and at least I like that; and it's balanced by a low-level bitterness and the hot alcohol which equals a dry finish. There are, unfortunately, no noticeable hops. Perhaps some leafy, grassy, and spicy undertones are there but that's it. No, this is more like the malt prior to distilling Bourbon. Given that it's flawed it's hard to score it well, but at the same time I have had worse so it is what it is, and it gets what it gets. Medium-full in body with a dextrinous side and a moderate, soft carbonation that leaves it smooth and doesn't amplify the alcohol or heat that's there. Not the best by any means, but certainly not undrinkable.

Nov 05, 2017
Kwak from New Jersey

2.1/5  rDev -13.6%

Aug 05, 2015
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

2.91/5  rDev +19.8%

I was down in DC around the 2015 holidays (ostensibly) to visit my aunt & uncle, but partially to seek out new beers to drink. I was on my way back to their place from the Friendship Heights Metro station when I saw a window advertisement for World Market and something flashed in my mind that they carry a small assortment of beers & so I went in to take a look. The selection was not all that impressive, although I managed to build a mixed sixer and on the way out, I spied this bottle sitting on a clearance table. While most people might run in the other direction from such things, for me, it was a clarion call! This brewski and I are crazy!

From the bottle: "Partially filtered, bottle-conditioned".

I Pop!ped the cap, but I was uncertain as to how to proceed with that "partially filtered" business. I went with a gentle pour that produced only wisps. An agitation of the liquid stubbornly brought forth a momentary finger of tawny head that quickly reverted to wisps. I spilled a little on my hand and it proved to be some of the stickiest stuff that I had ever encountered! Color was solidly Amber (SRM = > 7, < 9) with NE-plus quality clarity. The nose was extremely sweet, like toffee or caramelized sugar. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, but its decided lack of carbonation kept it from achieving fullness. It had a decidedly dollop-like quality on the tongue, though. It just sat defiantly, awaiting my next move. The taste was really sweet & sugary, beyond simple maltiness, this was like dumping a bag of sugar into a pitcher with Kool-Aid mix, adding water and stirring. It was sugary & malty to the point of saturation. Having established that piece of the puzzle, the next thing to hit was its heat. As a previous reviewer remarked, at 15% ABV, this is up there with wine, or put otherwise, this is a 30 proof beer! Phew! They could have distilled this and no one would have been the wiser. I didn't really catch it until the finish, when my gullet suddenly lit up like I had swallowed barium. This leads me to my next aspect - it is a Sneaky Pete! The labeling cops to its intensity, but the taste gives nothing away initially, and then, out of nowhere, it comes with a rabbit punch to the fontanelle at the base of the neck, rendering one nearly unconscious! I consider myself a seasoned beer drinker, but this had an immediate, adverse effect on me. Why would they brew something this strong? It must render the average consumer crazy! The big takeaway on this, for me, was that it was not unpleasant (think Manjit & Ravinder Minhas products), making it just that much more dangerous. I felt no guilt or shame, just a creeping drunkenness that seemed to increase with every sip.

Jan 19, 2016
scruffwhor from Illinois

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

Feb 02, 2014
metter98 from New York

2.37/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A: The beer is clear dark yellow in color and has a slight amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high white head consisting of large bubbles that quickly died down, leaving bits of lacing on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of alcohol are present in the nose along with notes of bready malts.
T: The taste has flavors of alcohol; these stand out in front of hints of bready malts grassy hops and bits of sugary sweetness.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer has a heavy dose of alcohol in the taste, but isn't as bad as some malt liquor store that I've had, especially when considering its high abv. The drinkability does deteriorate as the beer warms up.

Nov 14, 2015
Tone from Missouri

2.88/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/5 inch head of an off-white color. Poor retention and poor lacing. Smells of strong alcohol, sweet malt, caramel malt, burnt toast, dark citrus, and a hint of yeast. Fits the style of an Euro Strong Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with a low carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, strong alcohol, yeast, slight dark citrus, slight caramel malt, and a hint of burnt toast. Overall, weak appearance, strong body, decent blend, but still average at best.

May 18, 2016
BeerForMuscle from New Jersey

3.13/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Sep 12, 2015
Bouleboubier from New Jersey

2.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

(16.9 oz bottle, code L.05271... red tag around the bottle neck, touting its '15%' potency... poured into a fluted goblet)

L: chill-hazy, medium amber-colored liquid... sizzly head builds then implodes, no foamy collar to speak of... no suspended sediment - I guess that's a good sign... does clear up... if this was cognac, it looks just fine - for beer, a liquid red flag

S: cheap homebrew barleywine, perhaps vaguely like an English strong ale... no boozy smell, very weak alcohol really - which is a bad sign, something might be off... no pilsner-like hop profile... potent medium-dark malt aromas, little else

T: nothing 'pilsner'-y here... just about syrupy-sweet, toasty-acidic... background peppery twang... weed stem bitterness and flavor in the aftertaste... dominant flavor left over is that of having just power-licked an aluminum pot

F: approaching full-bodied, certainly some warmth in the back of the palate... take away the flavor, this flows and feels like a liqueur... between the alcohol and bitterness, my taste buds feel like they been deep-tissue massaged by newsprint paper

O: tastes like vodka-infused wort, at best - doubt this product reaches 15%... don't be tempted by its low price, it's low quality... one of the most amateurish commercial beers I've had in recent memory - like a fermentation failure salvaged and bottled... dumped the remaining 3/4 of the bottle probably

Sep 10, 2016
HabaJohn from Illinois

2.47/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2

Terribly sweet, I suppose it's to cover up the 15% alcohol. Nice color, besides the extreme sugar content the taste is ok. It's a cheap Lithuanian brew

Oct 10, 2015

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%

May 29, 2016
tone77 from Pennsylvania

2.98/5  rDev +22.6%

Poured from a brown 16.9 oz. bottle. Has a orange/amber color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of malts, caramel, alcohol. Taste is malty, alcohol, sugary, more alcohol, not good but not horrible. Feels light and sugary in the mouth and overall, not a good beer, but based on the reviews here, and the young man at the liquor store's negative comments, it's better than I expected.

Oct 13, 2015
Drknight from Virginia

2.5/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Oct 26, 2013

3.56/5  rDev +46.5%

Oct 14, 2014
Arithmeticus from Maryland

3.13/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

They are who they thought it would be.

Dec 25, 2014
ronniebruner from Arizona

2.75/5  rDev +13.2%

So everyone of us who are rating this beer are doing so because we bought it because of the high ABV. At 15% this is almost as high as it gets but that's where the positives pretty much end. This beer has a putrid aroma. It smells rotten, I had to check the dates to make sure it was still drinkable. It poured a nice golden color, had way too much carbonation and a decent amount of lace. It is too sweet to enjoy and very acidic and pungent. Has a very strong and bitter taste similar to sulfur. While it is still better than a Bud Light, I would only recommend getting this for the novelty factory.

Dec 22, 2014