Lobster Lovers Beer | Rinkuškiai

good
Read the review
Lobster Lovers BeerLobster Lovers Beer

Rinkuškiai
Lithuania
rinkuskiai.lt

Style: Euro Strong Lager

Red Label

Added by letsgopens on 12-22-2007

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer poured out with a typical yellow color with a white fizzy head on it. Lots of bubbles rising in this one but the head fades away and doesn't leave much lacing at all. The smell is pretty much like any other lager out there. The taste is stronger than I expected. a decent amount of flavors in there but nothing that really makes it taste good to me. The mouthfeel is pretty light and the ABV will run its course quickly if you let it. I can't see myself drinking these back to back though.

3.75/5  rDev +31.1%

2.5/5  rDev -12.6%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass.

A - clear golden color with a frothy white head that quickly disappears.

S - malty lager with high ABV

T -Mostly toasted malt but a bit of metaliic bitter taste too.
High (9.5%) ABV is too obvious and alcohol detracts from flavor.

M - light/medium body; low carbonation.

2.38/5  rDev -16.8%

What a creepy-looking label! Someone get that rotten lobster off that person.

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a small, frothy white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling pale malts with a faux floral waft of cleaning solution.

Taste: Strongly sweet malt flavor with an odd, industrial-strength astringency and some questionable flowery hints. Pair that with the hot alcohol taste and the whole thing becomes off-putting.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: The kind of beer that just begs to be drank straight from the bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag.

3.33/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours with a decent, large-bubbled head. Settles quickly but with some texture. Light spotty lace. Golden color with a very mild chill haze.

Slightly sour smell with a decent whiff of hop bitterness. Light raw graininess in the background. For the style, pretty good.

The taste is relatively bland. There's honey-like sweetness on the initial sip. The body is similar to skim milk--not bad. The carbonation is quite high. Very little bitterness. The swallow features the sourness I described above in the smell. The aftertaste is mild and short lived. Interestingly, the alcohol is quite hidden, which, given the abv percentage and the style, is stunning.

3.08/5  rDev +7.7%

"Has life ever snapped at you? Grab it by the claws!"

--rear label

Slightly more orange than amber with gold edges. At least there are no nasty floating bits, which is frequently the case with beer from this part of the world. The crown is yellowed bone in color and looks decent. Going on appearance alone, this could be an American pale ale. Something tells me this is where the similarities to that style will end.

The nose doesn't impress, but at least it isn't offensive. In addition, the alcohol is fairly well-masked. A whiff of pale malt, a mild earthiness, a little floral fruitiness... yawn. It's probably too much to hope for that the flavor will set off in a new and more interesting direction.

Surprise, surprise, surprise. Lobster Lovers Beer is actually decent, all things considered. As with most beer of this style, it tastes like a more bitter, less corny, less sweet version of American malt liquor. The alcohol is much more noticeable on the palate. This is one of those cases where the heat of the first few mouthfuls fades once the tongue becomes sufficiently anesthetized, making the bottom half of the bottle much smoother sledding.

The flavor profile is the very definition of simple. The pale malt backbone doesn't provide much more than a firm mouthfeel and a moderate amount of sweetness. In addition, the Euro hops contribute more bitterness than flavor. There's no lobster flavor, so that must mean no crustaceans were harmed during the brewing process.

The mouthfeel is granite firm and is as glassy smooth as possible, given the sharpness of the incompletely buried alcohol. No one drinks beer of this sort for the mouthfeel, but it's always nice when it isn't a hindrance to what we on Beeradvocate like to call drinkability.

Lobster Lovers Beer has one of the strangest names and one of the strangest labels that I've ever seen. Even though the contents of the bottle are essentially 'same old, same old', this is one of the best ESLs going. That still doesn't make it good beer.

1.12/5  rDev -60.8%

"Grab it by the claws!" Wow, 2 dollar pint of 9.5% abv let's get fucked up Lithuanian beer. Pours a deep semi viscous golden orange sunrise hue with a bright quickly dwindling white head. Thin scattered lacing between sips. Aroma is sweet honey tones, green apples, mineral water, barley husks with some cooked creamed corn. Flavor this is malt liquor it might as well come in a forty ounce bottle. Super cloying mess of a beer, just not acceptable. More green apple with honey bursts of gag reflux sweetness, cooked veggies and a bit of rust or penny sucking sensations. Mouthfeel is so bad I can't really stand taking a big gulp it's offensive. Medium bodied cloying mess with residual sugars clouding the palate, it's so bad it's making my head twitch with each sip. Drinkability, I don't think so drain pour, but it was worth the fun.

3.02/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from 330mL bottle into a dimpled mug. It's finally that time, 2,784 reviews in, to try the infamous Lobster Lovers Beer. Wish me luck!

Appearance: cloudy orange hue with a thin layer of frothy ivory foam. There are lots of little chunks floating around in the beer; maybe not a great sign for a lager.

Smell: extremely sweet with a light apple fruitiness. It's actually not terrible, and relatively appropriate for the style.

Taste: super sweet and malty. I tend to like sweet and malty -- I'm a tripel and BSPA fan -- so it's not actually too bad. But it does lack character; just kind of bland and sweet.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a decent carbonation and creaminess.

Overall: this beer is not anywhere near as bad as I was expecting. Sure, there's a bit of alcohol heat, but despite its sweetness is not as cloying as some beers of the style. Is it weird to be disappointed that a beer is not as bad as I thought it might be? I'll settle with "pleasantly surprised".

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

Lobster Lovers Beer

Pours a clear, pale yellow with a bit of white soapy head. Smell of pale malt and a small malt sweetness. In the taste, big presence of euro pale malts, just a slight sweetness to a smooth creamy malt finish and some honey. Alcohol is pretty well hidden between a very euro pale malt flavor and mild herbal hops providing little bitterness. Deceptive in its strength, smooth, easy drinking, and rather light for a beer 9.5% ABV. Would have again, a very nice place to start.

3.5/5  rDev +22.4%

3.95/5  rDev +38.1%

Pours a two finger off-white head that fades slowly leaving some lace. Crystal clear, amber color. Malty nose. Good carbonation and medium bodied. Flavor is sweet malty, caramel finish. The high ABV is hidden. Decent strong lager, big improvement over their 5% version. $4.50 for a 500ml bottle from Tully's Beer & Wine Wells, Me.

2.77/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.03/5  rDev +5.9%

I tried both this and its 5% ABV brother, and didn't like either of them. This beer was a gold color with a small white head that disappeared quickly. It had an aroma of grain, and that was pretty much it. I thought the alcohol was very noticeable, but despite that, the beer was pretty bland. I finished this 500ml bottle and couldn't imagine having another one.

2.32/5  rDev -18.9%

I got a bottle of Rinkuškiai Alaus Darykloje's Lobster Lovers Beer that my brother brought back from his trip down south. I have had a couple different Lithuanian beers a while ago but they never turned out good and since I'm half Lithuanian I feel like I need to give their beers another chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it looks good and it's really eye catching, nicely done. It poured a pretty clear golden yellow color that took on a bright orange tint when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of foam that faded to nothing pretty fast. This was a goof looking beer, but I would have liked better head retention.

S- Wow this is one sweet smelling beer. It starts out with tons of sweetness followed by a very apple juice like aroma. I also get some candied sugar and some more apples that smell tart and sour. At the end I picked up some alcohol that when combined with the apple cider aspect gives this beer an aroma that is very similar to a hard cider. I'm not impressed with the aroma, way too sweet and it smells more like a Hard Cider then a beer.

T- Unfortunately the taste is similar to the aroma. It starts off with a little bit of booze to greet you then right after that comes a large amount of very sweet malts that impart a thick molasses like flavor and an apple cider like flavor followed by a little more chemical like alcohol. The finish has a lighter amount of bitterness with a slight sweet and tangy taste and a sweet malt and slightly boozy aftertaste. I didn't enjoy the flavors of this beer, it was way to sweet and boozy with those flavors sticking out the most, not a fan.

M- Not too smooth, cloying, slightly dry, on the fuller side of being medium bodied, and it had a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but it was a little too cloying.

Overall I wasn't a fan of this beer and I thought it was a below average to average Euron Strong Lager, I haven't had this style before so I can't say for sure, but Beeradvocate says that the style is the European version of Malt Liquor, so I think this is right around average and tastes similar to some shitty Malt Liquors I have had. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it went down a little rough and it was boozy, I am glad I am splitting this bottle, I don't think I could drink it all by myself. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, it looked pretty nice in a Pilsener glass, the only flaw was the head retention. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, they wen't that good and were overly sweet and boozy. I wouldn't buy this beer again, if I wanted a beer that tasted like this I would save some money and just a buy a shitty can of Malt Liquor, I don't recommend this beer to anyone even Lithuanians. This was my first beer from this brewery and I wasn't a fan which didn't make for a good first impression. I have yet to find a decent tasting Lithuanian beer, but I haven't given up hope just yet... the search continues.

3.25/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Lobster Lovers Beer from Rinkuškiai