Lobster Lovers Beer | Rinkuškiai

Red Label

Added by letsgopens on 12-22-2007

3.7

3.03/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a clear golden honey like color with a thin head and a decent amount of lace. The aroma is of an unknown sweetness and grains. The taste is of grains with a slight buttery taste at the end. The nouthfeel is creamy and full it is very nice. The drinkability is ehhh its a tough drink and you could only have one.

3.93/5  rDev +35.5%

Very tasty for it's affordability. If you are an every day drinker that can't afford $6 for every pint size bottle you purchase then take advantage of this bargain from eastern Europe. Lithuania's marketing strategies are confusing especially with Werewolf's slogan and this unexplained title, but I would drink this everyday.

3.68/5  rDev +26.9%

thanks to finewinemike for this one.

A- Bright yellow/gold, active fizzy head that settles out quickly.

S- sweet undefined fruits... grainy as well.

T- big sweet wave with a more drying, malty finish. Alcohol is noticable... but not overbearing. Not bad.

M- no off-flavors... a bit too sweet in an attempt to mask the ABV. doesn`t totally work... but it`s still pretty good.

D- Moderately high. Cleaner than most of its stateside cousins, this is a pretty good beer. Lacks the vegetal grainy off notes of malt liquors. I`d buy it if I had it alailable locally.

2.5/5  rDev -13.8%

16.9 oz bottle served in pint glass.

A - clear golden color with a frothy white head that quickly disappears.

S - malty lager with high ABV

T -Mostly toasted malt but a bit of metaliic bitter taste too.
High (9.5%) ABV is too obvious and alcohol detracts from flavor.

M - light/medium body; low carbonation.

3.42/5  rDev +17.9%

Picked up on a lark after a store marked them down to $2 a pop, poured into a nonic glass.

Rich transparent gold color with one finger of foam that dissipates after about a minute. Not a lot of bubbles to be had here.

Plummy mouthfeel. Hint of raisins and chewy toffee. The finish is a bit short and sharp. The alcohol sits on the throat nicely and isn't overwhelming. Surprisingly drinkable but nowhere near sessionable. You could pair it with food or enjoy it on it's own.

It's fortified, it's big, it empties pretty quickly. At $2 each, it'd be great to get a load of these in a bucket of ice water for a weekend party. It's not nuanced, and it won't win you points with the hop snobs, but I've had worse.

3.7/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #44 (Sep 2010):

Brilliantly clear golden color with a creamy white head. Hints of cherry, white chocolate and rose water in the nose ... seems the alcohol wants to take over even in a subtle manner. Creamy body with a struggling crispness. Maltiness is pretty sweet with some vague fruit and buttery flavors. Warmth from the alcohol is of a clean solvent and peppery likeness. More malt sweetness in the end, though the beer does move forward. Surprisingly good, and for its hefty strength, it does not stray too far. The name says it all ... this would be good with a fresh lobster and drawn butter.

2.52/5  rDev -13.1%

A - Crystal clear, a very dark yellow (almost golden). A nice eggshell head but it dies to nothing incredibly quickly.

S - The aroma is very faint. There is some very light graininess, a hint of bitter hops, but it's all very faint.

S/M - Much sweeter than I expected. An almost apple juice like flavor with a very bitter finish. The finish is a little off putting.

D - This isn't terrible, but not something I would drink again.

3.47/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was surprisingly better than I anticipated. With an ABV of 9;5%, I expected more of a sweeter taste. Not to say this beer is not sweet, but it is decent. It has a golden rich yellow color, minimal head, A sweet aroma and a nice slight aftertaste. The first Lithuanian beer I have ever had, probably will not be the last.

2.77/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured a meeger 1/2" head which quickly dissipated to zilch. Hazy raw sienna yellow color. Initially no smell at all (while cold). Both happily and sadly I'd have to say it does NOT taste like lobster. But what I do want to add and which I don't think many others put together is it has a saltiness and richness not unlike a seafood hotpot. Sure it's just a very strong pale ale and/or lager type but I'd say their seafood reference isn't just for the image on the label.

Like so many others I was drawn in by a) the name, b) the lovely naked chick with a lobster superimposed on her back on the label, and c) the fact I'd never had a Lithuanian beer before.

While it doesn't taste like lobster it certainly is rich, sweet, and salty like a seafood hotpot. Plus I swear to you as it fully warmed to room temperature the initial no smell at all blossomed into quite the pungeant aroma. I'd dare say if you shared a case of these at a party and left the empties sitting around until morning you'd really need to air out your home.

This beer started off O.K., as I served it very cold. In the mouth, I thought the alcohol was well blended and nothing really jumped out - slight citrus and sweet flavors. However, the finish, especially as it grew less cold, became more and more offensive. Highly alcoholic finish. However, I won't be getting another.

3.33/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours with a decent, large-bubbled head. Settles quickly but with some texture. Light spotty lace. Golden color with a very mild chill haze.

Slightly sour smell with a decent whiff of hop bitterness. Light raw graininess in the background. For the style, pretty good.

The taste is relatively bland. There's honey-like sweetness on the initial sip. The body is similar to skim milk--not bad. The carbonation is quite high. Very little bitterness. The swallow features the sourness I described above in the smell. The aftertaste is mild and short lived. Interestingly, the alcohol is quite hidden, which, given the abv percentage and the style, is stunning.

2.11/5  rDev -27.2%

I had to buy this beer given the most unusual label. I was also amazed at the 9.5% abv when I inspected the fine print on the bottle.

Poured hard into a pint glass. No head and little carbonation. Slightly yellow orangish color surprised me as I was expecting a very pale lager. Smell was sickly sweet and made me dread the first sip.

Medium light body with sweet aftertaste. The first few sips were detestable. I was surprised how the alcohol was masked though. Also, not very bitter. As I got half way through the beer, the drinkability improved drastically. I would say the first sip was a 1.0 and the last sip was around a 3.

Love the label! I think my first Lithuanian beer.

2.48/5  rDev -14.5%

pours semi hazy golden orange with a 1 finger head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet fruity malt and nail polish remover

taste is way too sweet and boozy and there is also some funky metal flavors

mouthfeel is nice - medium body good carbonation that gives it a smooth creamy finish

drinkability - another drain pour for the night i wouldnt buy this beer again even if i was wanting to catch a cheap buzz

2.73/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a dark orange golden with a lacy head.

S: Alcohol and sweet malt.

T: Cloyingly sweet with Banana and clove notes. I cannot detect any hop presence. (likely due to the ABV-boosting adjuncts)

M: Thick and viscous. Hard to drink many. (unless you were already tanked)

D: Nothing too offensive to say no. That's why it gets a 3.5

2.26/5  rDev -22.1%

Drinking this beer makes me ask a few questions. Why did I buy this? Why did they make a lager this strong that tastes like horrible cheap American booze beer? How can I help prevent others from making this error?

What also worries me is that I bought something else by this brewer. I will make sure I have had several others before I try it (to dull the pain). This was a bad purchase.

I think it is the nasty malty flavor not balanced by decent hops that makes this taste so bad. I don't get the almost sexy label (or name, for that matter) either.

2.38/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is a clear gold with a finger of foamy white head and no lacing.

The smell is a light spicy flavor and a bit of citrus flavor.

The taste seems to take a left turn and is a bit tough to place. A bitter flavor takes this beer from beginning to end and does kick in the aftertaste. A little too bitter and does not seem to come from any hops.

The feel of this beer is medium at first but seems to kick with a strong bitterness before long. Not my favorite import by far and a beer that would take some getting used to.

2.65/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured from a bottle on 4-7-10

A - Pours a clear light golden yellow with no foam at all.

S - light malts, some slight earthy hops break through, not a whole lot going on here

T - light malts and some lemon, overall not a very enjoyable taste

M - light, crisp with good carbonation

D - easy to drink because there isn't very much going on here. I think I will pass next time.

2.68/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The label said "Porter" but it's actually a lager. It pours a nice clear medium amber, more like a fine ale than a lager, with a decent off-white head. Aroma is crisp and malty, typical for a lager. Flavor is rather sweet and fruity, just a little malty. Texture is quite smooth and hardly fizzy at all.

3.59/5  rDev +23.8%

An impulse buy at Vintage Estate, bought at the recommendation/egging on of Sick Puppy.

Poured into a large tulip pint: Clear pale gold body with 2 fingers of creamy that retains well, dropping to 1 finger. Just a few stray bubbles rising. Maybe it's just the power of suggestion, but the head looks like melted butter with the lipids floating on the top.

Smells of a strong, slightly toasty sweet malt, mild toffee, very subtle earthy hop.

Taste of sugar & a sweet, artificial lemon flavor, like lemon cream pie. Turns to a weizenbock kind of rich sweetness. Mild grape tartness shows up later, alcohol creeps in very gently.

For its strength & sweetness, pretty light-bodied. Leaves a stickiness that I'm not a huge fan of.

Not bad overall, but the unchallenged sweetness was a little much after a bit. High ABV is hardly even noticeable. Not great, but I can see this compliment sweet lobster meat & butter well.

1.12/5  rDev -61.4%

"Grab it by the claws!" Wow, 2 dollar pint of 9.5% abv let's get fucked up Lithuanian beer. Pours a deep semi viscous golden orange sunrise hue with a bright quickly dwindling white head. Thin scattered lacing between sips. Aroma is sweet honey tones, green apples, mineral water, barley husks with some cooked creamed corn. Flavor this is malt liquor it might as well come in a forty ounce bottle. Super cloying mess of a beer, just not acceptable. More green apple with honey bursts of gag reflux sweetness, cooked veggies and a bit of rust or penny sucking sensations. Mouthfeel is so bad I can't really stand taking a big gulp it's offensive. Medium bodied cloying mess with residual sugars clouding the palate, it's so bad it's making my head twitch with each sip. Drinkability, I don't think so drain pour, but it was worth the fun.

3.78/5  rDev +30.3%

A: Pours a deep honey color, and looks like the same consistency. A nice bright white head on top dissipates to a film, nice lacing.

S: Not much going on here, smells kind of like rice and cheap malt, with a little sweetness to it.

T: Wow, so much better than I expected. Some tasty malts with a honey sweetness to it, caramel malty, and slightly boozy flavor at the end. A hint of fruit in there as well, and even a biscuity quality.

M: Very smooth, medium body. Sticking to the "honey" theme, carbonated honey, if that makes sense. ABV hidden very well.

D: This stuff is easy to put down, especially for almost 10% ABV. It was pretty cheap too, about $2.50-$3.00 for a pint. Will definitely purchase again.

EDIT: I don't know why this beer is so unpopular. Normally I would be the first to bash import lagers, but to me, this one is a winner.

2.55/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A- Pours a clear yellow color with a very thin white head that receeded to nothing.

S- Faint grain and loads of alcohol. A bit of yeast and sweetness.

T- Very sweet initially with a solventy finish. The alcohol is quite brash and the overall flavor does little to mask it.

M- Medium bodied with high carbonation.

D- This one wasn't for me. Too boozy and sweet.

1.5/5  rDev -48.3%

I wonder what the hell this label means. A naked chick with a giant lobster on her back. I wish there was a story on the bottle or something. Anyway, it pours out a cloudy brass color and has a dense foamy off-white head. Smells awful. I swear to god I can pick up a hint of Limburger cheese and that's about the last odor you want coming from your beer. Musty like a urine soaked diaper stench exists as well. Old grain. Just awful! I'm switching from a 1.5 to a 1.0 for the smell. Every time I sniff again it gets worse. The taste is ruined by the smell. Those terrible aromas are detected in the flavor also but there's a also a sweet grainy element that improves this whole experience ever so slightly. Did they boil some lobster then use the same water for the brewing process? Appearance and mouthfeel are the only things going for this disaster-of-a-beer. This is the worst beer I've had in a while. I'm choking it down.

2.52/5  rDev -13.1%

This is a strange beer with a strange label. Seriously I don't get the label. Still, even though I do not like lobster (honestly I don't) I'm curious to see what this is like.

Pours a bright clear gold with hints of copper (must be the lobster pigment...) with a fizzy white head that is gone in seconds. Little disappointing.

Smells of grains and musty malts. It leaves me wondering...where is the lobster?

Taste is the same as the nose, musty earthy malts and grains...and *gasp* no lobster? Extremely boring...but not awful. Alcohol is noticeable.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a high carbonation that cuts the sweetness and flavorless liquid that is Lobster Lovers. Drinkability is pretty poor.

Overall, not something I enjoyed, but something I'm glad I tried. I was disappointed but glad at the same time that there was no Lobster flavors in this one. A strange name for a beer, but honestly how else would this beer sell. Great marketing technique if you ask me.

2.8/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a clear yellow, decent head that dissipates quickly. Smells of grassiness with some floral notes, corn like sweetness. Tastes of sweet syrupy like malt with just a touch of bitterness. Alcohol fairly overwhelms this beer finishing fairly sweet and corny.

A pretty bad beer, doesn't bring much to the table besides corn like sweetness. Just a touch of grassiness saves this from being truly terrible, but just barely. Alcohol is pretty strong as well

Lobster Lovers Beer from Rinkuškiai