Dry Dock Hefeweizen | Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Dry Dock HefeweizenDry Dock Hefeweizen

Dry Dock Brewing Co.
Colorado, United States
drydockbrewing.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by mentor on 01-28-2011

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Big white head slowly recedes above a cloudy pale washout golden colored hefeweizen.

Cloves seem to dominate over a light banana and even lighter lemon in the aroma of this beer.

The banana comes through more in the taste than it did in the aroma, balancing out the cloves some and even letting a light lemon come through in the taste.

A very light bodied beer with a bit of the tastes remaining behind in a light dryish aftertaste.

This seems to be a very drinkable hefe, I would think this would be a even better paired with the right food offering.

3.82/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Cloudy bright orange body with a half inch head. Expected a larger head given the style. Leaves clumpy lacing. Overall looks inviting.

Cloves, bananas...the usual suspects. I detect a hint of..menthol?

More bananas than cloves in the taste, especially on the back end. Would guess around 5%abv.

On the thicker side of mouthfeel for the style I feel. Low end of carbonation as well.

Overall a good beer on a warm summer's day. Not incredibly to style but still highly drinkable. Thanks a ton for this non-whaley, top 50 hefe want, kojevergas!

3.8/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Today is my New CANorado Beer Sunday and this one was part of an in-person trade with Blargimus whom I have traded with before, but never in person. He is a Bar Trivia master and so The Old Lady and I trekked down to play and then swapped beers afterwards. Slainte!

From the CAN: "Da such ich meine Freude. - There I seek for my happiness."; "A traditional German-Style wheat beer with a huge banana nose mit Hefe. Rouse yeast before pouring."; "Small Brewing Company of the Year, 2009 Great AmeriCAN Beer Festival"; "Gold Medal 2011 Silver Medal 2010 & 2009 Great AmeriCAN Beer Festival South German Style Hefeweizen".hat

As a retired sailor, this whole lineup really speaks to me. From the logo of the sailing ship to the nautical references to the sly humor, I CAN really dig it all.

Following directions, I roused the yeast before I even CANtemplated beginning the Crack & Glug. It was worthwhile as I not only garnered a finger of bone-white head with decent retention, but I got something that looked like Hefeweizen in my glass, as opposed to Kristalweiss. It was a cloudy lemon-yellow, SRM = ~ 6. Nose smelled of the kitchen sink - bananas, bubble gum, cloves. Mouthfeel was soft, like a gentle caress of my tongue. The taste was likewise all over the map. Pink bubble gum, initially, followed by overripe bananas and finally, clove cigarettes. Finish CANtinued the same stream of flavors and the clove lingered well past the swallow. I will cop yet again to this being one of my least favorite styles, but this one was one of the best CANned iterations in a while. I know that the right way (for me) would be to lager the beer, which would really bring out the clove esters. Ah well.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.25/5  rDev -18.8%

2.45/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Very light yellow, think Wit... Mild white foamy head, leaves mild lacing...

Crisp, fart aroma, lots of wheat.

Thin, very light, not much substance or flavors. Wheat-y, but extremely light. Missing many flavors... crisp, harsh carbonation. Very wet and bready.

Not recommended. I can think of many other canned Wheat brews which I'd much rather enjoy. Disappointing Dry Dock would put this brew in a Mix-12...They can do much better.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Dry Dock Hefeweizen from Dry Dock Brewing Co.