Hop Abomination | Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Hop AbominationHop Abomination

Added by Domingo on 06-03-2011

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: Pours from the can with a slightly hazy copper color; the head is rather modest but it does leave some splashy lace

Smell: Dank and resinous with a caramel undertone; slightly floral, too

Taste: The dank and resinous flavors mix with the caramel and produce an ever-sweetening combination that winds up tasting like a hop flavored hard candy; balanced, in the finish, with the sweet tones lingering

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A nice IPA that winds up being just a tad too sweet to contend with the top beers of the styel

Thanks, JMBSH, for the opportunity

3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Continuing with my can quest for the summer, finally broke down and got the Hop Abomination from Dry Dock. I've had their Apricot Blonde (ok), and their imperial pumpkin (underwhelming), and I've just been reluctant to try them again. But what the hell, can an IPA ever be all that bad?

Let's break this beer down. Six of cans depicting green eyes coming up from a green ocean. Looks remeniscient of a UFC ad, but what sold me was their own description of the beer denoting "massive amounts of floral, citrus and tropical hop flavors," which is basically right up my alley. So much so that I'm surprised we haven't bumped into each other before.

Pour yields a clouded amber beverage with a quickly dissapating off-white head, much like the "ivory whitecaps, swirling amid golden seas" also mentioned in the description on the can. I do love my hazy ales. Nose off the bat sets it apart from other IPA's. I've heard the descriptor "dank" used a few times, and that's what this is: a soppy, dank, fruity and herbal IPA.

Flavor really showcases herbal-not-piney hops on a bed of tropical fruit. There is a slight off flavor for me where I'm tasting something like freeze-dried vegetation, but that is by no means necessarily the case, just what I am tasting. Very funky-fresh, sweet, hardly bitter enough for an IPA, but I think the showcasing of the hop, whether bitter or not so much, is still effective. Carbonation is low, mouthfeel is medium, with the big flavors staving off all but the slightest sense of wateriness.

Overall, I am most impressed by the uniqueness of this IPA, and I think that's really what brewers have to do now with SO MANY IPA's out there for consumers to enjoy. The flavors are good, my only regret is that kind of funky, dry-grass flavor lurking just underneath the surface. If they could address that issue, I think they'd have a world class beer on their hands.

3.63/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Fresh growler from the source had a few hours after fill.

A- Deep mahogany, medium lacing cloud white in color, very good retention and legs that move and shake

S- Big malt upfront, then hops and pine. Kinda bland here

T- Bland malty with bland hops with bland gha. I remember loving this beer; but since then I have been blessed to try top notch IPA around the nation. Bland gha

M- Really watery for me; I like the effort toward some sort of creaminess or texture of some sort. Sort of a void here on that. Other than that the carb is spot on.

O- Under impressed, maybe I got a bad batch. I remember it being better in the long long ago

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

Hop Abomination from Dry Dock Brewing Co.