Hop Abomination | Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Hop AbominationHop Abomination

Added by Domingo on 06-03-2011

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 51 | Ratings: 219
4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

This is from the taproom, although I’ve also had this at the Rackhouse Pub. Perhaps it might end up being a new regular item? The chalkboards in the taproom claim this has an insane 250K IBU’s. I’m assuming this is either a joke or refers to the weird “theoretical” IBU count that can go to a million.
Oddly, the ABV’s only 6.5%, so it’s on the upper end of a normal IPA, but probably not strong enough to be a double. Fine by me!
Anyway – this one’s is a shade or two lighter than copper. Head’s a standard 1/4” sheen for a draft beer. Lace rings are there as you work your way down.
The flavor profile has huge pine and citrus rind notes throughout. Grapefruit is one of the primary notes, but there’s also a hint of dank/cannabis flavor in the finish. That isn’t my favorite flavor note, but it does work here and it never heads into “swampy” territory either. Not the most bitter beer I’ve ever had on the palate, but it’s about as hop-centric as a beer can get. A little bit of malt creeps in here and there, but it’s really only there in tiny doses.
There isn’t much heat on this at only 6.5% ABV, which makes it pretty drinkable…but not for the faint of heart or for anyone who isn’t a serious hop lover. There isn’t much of a malt base or booziness to hold the hops back, so they run wild. I’ve had this 3 times and I find that I drink the first 1/2 of the glass pretty quickly, but the last 1/2 lingers and becomes an inadvertent sipper.
I think this might be my favorite of the various hop monsters from Dry Dock. The hop blend works for me, and I like that it’s a bit milder. Plus, even with the crazy amount of hops, it never really has any harshness.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Hop Abomination from Dry Dock Brewing Co.