Bligh's Barleywine Ale | Dry Dock Brewing Co.

Bligh's Barleywine AleBligh's Barleywine Ale

Added by waltonc on 10-08-2011

Reviews: 123 | Ratings: 533
Reviews by kojevergas:
3.64/5  rDev -15.9%

2012 vintage. Acquired a few weeks ago at a liquor store in Parker, Colorado. Reviewed live. 10% ABV confirmed. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with an elegant label and a foilved over pressure cap served into an EKU 28 snifter in me gaff in high altitude Castle Rock, Colorado. Expectations are high given its current rating.

Served after a brief period of rest following its removal from the refrigerator, and allowed to warm further over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with honey pretzel braids.

A: Pours a half finger beige colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and bad retention (~40 seconds) - though it's excusable for the 10% ABV. A ring floater remains for about a minute after the head fully recedes. Body colour is a very dark caramel-brown; it's understated but I wouldn't call it dull. Its lack of transparency coupled with its opaqueness prevents it from being vibrant. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall a spot-on appearance for the style.

Sm: Whiskey is definitely the first thing I get, followed by oak. Caramel and toffee make an appearance. Hints of vanilla lend it more of a bourbon feel than a whiskey. Toffee. Biscuit malts. It's actually surprisingly restrained in terms of its malt character for a barleywine. Buried fruit. I search for coconut but don't find it. Rich in fermented sugars. I don't detect any substantial hop character - a positive attribute in terms of my personal preferences for the style. An understated, subtle aroma of above average strength. No real yeasty character is detectable, but there may be a hint of alcohol heat.

T: Oak and coconut hit me first and last throughout. Some bourbon-esque vanilla, again feeling more like bourbon than whiskey. Caramelized malts comprise the unobtrusive foundation, but never feel out of place. Subtle hints of toffee throughout. Some dark fruit on the climax combines with the vanilla for a satisfying effect. A bit of alcohol heat right on the finish, to its detriment. No yeast character at all. A bit imbalanced, but well put together for the most part. It's certainly a sipper. A good build for a barleywine. The taste is certainly more rich and malty than the aroma. I like it, but admittedly I expected better.

Mf: Undercarbonated, bordering on flat. Smooth and wet. Good thickness. Lacks sufficient palate presence to adequately support the flavour profile. A beer this refined in taste demands a better executed mouthfeel.

Dr: She's a sipper, alright. I'll have trouble killing this bottle by myself, but I reckon I'll enjoy doing so for the most part. Still, I do wish I had a friend about to help me put her down. The ABV needs to be hidden far better than this. Overall, it's a solid barleywine from one of Colorado's best breweries, but I expected far better given its current ratings. I'm hoping this will pick up with age, and I'm not unhappy to have a couple more bottles on hand, but I have to admit I'm disappointed. Worth picking up if you haven't tried it, but I won't be grabbing any in future years unless I hear it's gotten better.

High B

It does pick up slightly as it warms, but not substantially. I recommend serving it slightly chilled.

I wouldn't pair this with anything fancy. Pretzels did me just fine.

Seems like a good candidate for aging.

*I had to tweak the appearance rating to give this the letter grade I needed to. This helps keep my reviews fair and consistent. Please see my profile page for more information.

---
2013 vintage. Truncated notes. Reviewed side by side with a King Henry.

Deep dark red body with a plump khaki colour head. Poor (~1 minute) retention. Looking pretty good for a barleywine. I'd say it looks about as good as the King Henry.

More overtly fruity than King Henry. Otherwise, it's more reticent. Seems too sweet judging from the aroma alone. It seems like it's built from a weird mixture of amber malts and English malts. There's some marshmallow, but I remember there being more in the 2012 vintage.

Marshmallow, caramel, amber malts, English malts. I really crave a good toffee presence. Any barrel notes are quite reticent; where's the whiskey? I like that there's no whiskey spice, but I'd like some oak or vanilla or something.

Bar none, King Henry is a vastly superior barleywine, but I'm glad I did this side by side. I'll probably revisit Bligh's in the future, but I'm unconvinced it's world class. She's a sipper, but she's enjoyable.

Low B

4.04/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle (2011)

Acquired via trade
Thanks, quirkzoo!

Blind Tasting and Review

(Aged for 6 months)

Clear, dark auburn and chestnut in color with a very small light brown head. This leaves the glass relatively clean on the way down.

Nice, rich aroma of vanilla, caramel, toffee, and bourbon. This smells sweeter than most of the other barrel-aged barleywines in the lineup.

The flavor follows the aroma, though is significantly sweeter than many of the others in the blind barrel-aged barleywine lineup. There's nice vanilla and bourbon character, though the base beer seems like it's probably somewhat lacking.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Silky.

A very nice, somewhat sweet, barrel-aged barleywine.

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Brian for giving me this bottle. 22oz bottle poured into a Cigar City snifter 4/26/2014.

A- Caramel brown, thick and viscous. Small light off-white head with retention that is average for the style- which is to say it is a bit low. No lacing.

S- Holy caramel batman. This is the most caramel-forward barleywine I've had the chance to try. Sweet caramel, toffee, with a slight earthiness and dark fruit contribution. Slight hints of oak and whiskey, but not very much.

F- Tastes just like liquid caramel. This is not superbly complex, but this is a barleywine that packs a lot of caramel and toffee sweetness, with a small dark fruit component and some whiskey that adds a bit of complexity. Very nice, though I would have liked a little more of the whiskey barrels to show up.

M- Medium bodied, viscous with low carbonation. Very sweet, easy to drink despite its higher ABV. Smooth and resinous but without being cloying.

O- Really good English barleywine. I enjoyed drinking this one a lot and so did everyone else. However, for an barrel-aged English barleywine, this beer lacks a lot of the distinct whiskey character that makes a BA English barleywine what it is.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

4.25/5  rDev -1.8%

So far I've been impressed with a lot of Dry Dock's beers so I had to try the Barleywine (BA Barleywine is one of my fav styles)...

It didn't disappoint. Pours a cloudy deep brown mahogany with a tan head, carbonation was spot on for a barleywine.

The aroma was sweet like caramel with a hint of vanilla, coconut and toffee, and had really nice whiskey notes that weren't overwhelming but complementary... one of the reason I love BA Barleys. Overall a perfect balance of aromas, without any dominating.

The taste is just as amazing and well-balanced. The sweet maple and caramel flavors along with some dark fruit are on the forefront coupled with the complexity of the whiskey and gentleness of the oak. So good, so sweet.

Mouthfeel is so right for this beer, not too heavy, not too light. While it's loaded with flavor and a medium-thick mouthfeel, the beer doesn't seem difficult to drink!

Great beer... probably the top of my BA Barleywine list.... already purchased another couple bottles.

Side note: This beer was aged in Stranahan's Whiskey Barrels, so it's not bourbon your tasting, it's single-malt whiskey made in Colorado, not Kentucky.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

4.06/5  rDev -6.2%

Shared bottle at RBWG-2015.
Pours very clear red-brown with a frothy head.

Moderately sweet.
Excellent aroma. Plenty of toffee and burnt sugar in the nose.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Dark hazy brown with a syrupy complexion. Light carbonation and just a few bubbles.

S - Malty, lots of barrel and oak, dark fruit, and light chocolate

T - Sweet brown sugar, dark fruit, lots of chocolate. Good beer with lots of sweet flavor. Light oak on it in the finish

M - Smooth, body with a light syrupiness and stickiness to it

O - Really good and sweet barleywine with nice chocolate flavor to it as well. Not as good as KH but pretty close

4.43/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From the bomber into a snifter.

Not much head on this but it has the thick caramelly-look. Dark amber body almost. 4.25

Sweet sticky caramel, soy sauce and tobacco. Faint floral hop aroma. Brown sugar. 4.25

Very consistent with the nose. Caramel drips from this as does brown sugar. Tastes oaken and tobacco-like with a touch of port. 4.5

Pretty low carbonation but silky smooth and rich-feeling. Mildly sweet and a touch of faded bitterness. Really it's just a smooth creamy drinker. 4.5

This is an outstanding barleywine. The barrels don't stifle the base beer but rather complement it well.

4.24/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2011 Vintage.

A: Pours a slightly hazy brown color with a small tan head that reduces quickly leaving a ring on top. Not much lacing.

S: Nice caramel and bourbon aroma mixed with some brown sugar, toffee, and a little wood.

T: Lots of caramel and toffee mixed with bourbon and brown sugar. A bit of oak and vanilla, faint dark fruit in the middle.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Pretty good for a barleywine, barrel does a nice job. Was better when I had it alone than at a barleywine tasting, but I think that was simply due some of the other beers in the line up.

3.75/5  rDev -13.4%

Bligh's Barleywine Ale from Dry Dock Brewing Co.