Nut Brown Ale | Mt. Carmel Brewing Company

Mt. Carmel Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
mtcarmelbrewingcompany.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Nut Brown is mahogany in color, entering with hints of maple, followed by a roasted hazelnut body, balancing a clean malty finish.

Added by bluejacket74 on 06-30-2007

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Appearance - Pours a nice brown color with a slight amber hue. Has a centimeter thick, creamy tan head that dissipates quickly. Also has a nice, creamy lacing.

Smell - Strong malts and caramel, maple, and grains.

Taste - Very sweet, mostly from the maple I believe.. Toasted malts, caramel, a feint hint of coffee and chocolate, with a nutty character that dominates the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall - It's a little too much on the sweet side for me but this is one of the best brown ales I've tried.

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

A: The beer is clear but dark reddish brown in color. It poured with a quarter finger high light beige head that has very good retention properties and hardly died down.
S: There are light aromas of nutty malts in the nose along with some notes of maple syrup.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the flavors of maple syrup are a bit stronger and there is a slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels a bit shy of medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I really enjoyed this nut brown ale because there's just enough maple syrup in this beer to make the smell and taste interesting without having any sweetness.

4.12/5  rDev +4.8%

A: A nice crisp mahogany with thin off white head.
S: Rich. Maple jumps right up. Roasted nuts. Pleasant and different.
T: Can taste the maple and nuttiness. Roasty bitterness lingers and finishes kind of dry. Nice balance with the sweetness at the beginning.
M:Clean and not too full. Nice brightness from the tap.
O: Enjoyable. A bit different than I'm used to. Probably won't be a go to, but I'm glad I tried it.

4.01/5  rDev +2%

A- Full inch-tall, off- white head on a reddish-brown colored body. Good head retention and lacing splatter all over the sides of my glass.

S- Whiffs of brown roasty toasty malts, copper pennies.

T- Sweet and rich maltiness with just a touch of coffee/hazelnut character on the back-end. I have to say, this has so much flavor that I almost question the stated 6%abv...would guess higher!

M- Full bodied mouthfeel with low and soft carbonation.

D/O- I really like this brown ale, the finish to each sip (soft hazelnut to me) really set it apart from other browns I've had in the past. Recommended. Thanks for the Ohio "Top 50" brew, MaxSpang!

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

4.01/5  rDev +2%

Been quite some time since I've sat down with a nut brown ale.

This one looks real nice on the pour. The nut tones seem to be very appropriately placed accents. This beer has excellent balance. I think that's what I would say if I had to use just one word: balance. Extremely easy drinking and well worth the ride. Suggested.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.07/5  rDev +3.6%

Another BIF beer, the last of 3 from this brewery. Tonight, I'm just craving a brown ale, and feel lucky to have this sitting in my refrigerator.

Pours a deep chocolatey brown. With light behind it, reddish hues come through. One finger of yellowish head, gone in a flash, little lacing.

Smells nutty, malty, and mildly sweet, just as I'd hoped. Very well-rounded, full-bodied, and complete. Hazelnut and maple syrup come through clearest. I love the light touch that the maple syrup adds, providing soft syrupy sweetness. Plenty of different things going on here, and they're all good.

The taste was always going to have trouble living up to the billing laid out by the smell. It comes close, but doesn't bring the same level of complexity or fullness. Quite nutty, more like walnuts here, thinner and less sweet. Some grassy hops in the back-end round things out. I've been saying this about a lot of beers lately, but it taste slightly hollow, like the malts are all riding high in the mouth with the hops, and lacking that rich mid-body taste to fill in the flavor.

Mouthfeel is decent. Medium-bodied, carbonation rising and falling, and a rather quick finish.

Quite a good brown ale. The addition of maple syrup does great things for the smell, but strangely not much for the taste. Feels like a fall beer, but I'll take it on an unseasonably chilly spring evening. And I look down, now, disappointed to find that my glass is empty.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

3.85/5  rDev -2%

Poured into a perfect pint.

3.5 A: Clear deep amber brown color. Two fingers of frothy/foamy beige head. Retention is average and a few whisps of lacing is left.

3.5 S: Dry toastiness with a solid nuttiness backing it up. Smells great, but could use a bit more power.

4.0 T: Toasty and nutty with a good bit of neutral maltiness to satisfy. Clean graininess overall. Simple, but quite nice.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Frothy creaminess.

4.0 D: Simple, but a pleasure to drink. Good flavors, very clean, and super drinkable.

3.68/5  rDev -6.4%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Medium brown in color. Half-finger head but laces nicely.

S: Nice caramel & malty sweet aroma.

T: Well-balanced taste - just sweet enough - with a finish that doesn't linger.

M: A little thin for my preference for this style, but not a deal-breaker.

O: It was a decent example of the style. This bottle was given to me by a cousin of mine, and I have no idea how old it was. As has been pointed out, I *really* wish more breweries would put some kind of dating on the bottles.

Nut Brown Ale from Mt. Carmel Brewing Company