IPA | Mt. Carmel Brewing Company

Mt. Carmel Brewing Company
Ohio, United States
mtcarmelbrewingcompany.com

Style: American IPA

Our India Pale Ale is orange in color, entering with a pine hop aroma, followed by a rich malty body with hints of sweet biscuit, leaving with a lasting spicy hop finish.

Added by pwoods on 09-19-2008

3.36/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

12 FL OZ. bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It looks like a sunset. It has an orange center, gradually lightening towards the edges where in is yellow. This beer is hazy and topped with two inches of beige head.

S - For an IPA it has a lot of malt in the smell. I get some bread/biscuit. I do get a little pine from the hops.

T - As soon as I took a drink I thought I bought an old six pack. The malt is strong with a pine finish. This taste a lot maltier than most IPA's that I have tried. However, the finish does have a decent amount of pine.

M - Thick for an IPA. It looked thick when I poured it, and the mouthfeel is pretty full. It is very viscous.

O - This beer is maltier than I like my IPA's, and I prefer citrus flavors to pine. This is not an IPA that I will revisit unless I would find it on draft.

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

For those who are new to IPA's and want a lighter introduction to this style, I would recommend this IPA. For IPA aficionados, there are clearly better/stronger IPA's out there. That being said, this IPA is OK and my ratings reflect this. I'd be interested to try this again at their brew pub in Cincinnati because my experience has shown that draughts at their brewery generally taste better than bottles from grocery stores.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Orange color, a one-finger head slowly settles
S: Toffee, citrus rinds but not much complexity
T: Very malty, some toffee, just a hint of hops towards the finish. See the 'overall' for my thoughts here
M: Medium-bodied, smooth but lacks the bite of an IPA
O: Overall this reminds me much more of an APA if anything than an IPA. It lacks the herbal characteristics and bitterness of an IPA. Not a bad beer by any stretch, though not particularly memorable and does not accurately fit the stated style in my opinion

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%