Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb | Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Style: Hefeweizen

Added by SixpointJMH on 08-17-2001

Reviews: 1,359 | Ratings: 3,330
4.75/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass

A- A hazy amber with an giant head indicative of a Hefes, no granules to pour in. Good retention on the head. Very sexy looking beer.

S- A little sweet and spicy banana-clove going up front, malt towards the end. Not much hops to my nose.

F- the taste follows the smell with some sweet banana and spices along with bready malt. Really quite refreshing, a perfect beer for the summer.

MF- Fairly crisp from carbonation I'm assuming, as there isn't much bitterness to it. On the lighter side for weight.

O- A fantastic hefe that I will buy again and again.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

This beer was what began my beer adventure. I was in Germany, and wasn't a big beer drinker. I was out one evening in Heidleburg, and we went into a Paulener pub. Wow. That was when beer had a new meaning. I was in Bosnia before I went to Germany, and before I left, I was told to have a Hefe when I got to Germany, even though I had no clue what type of beer that was (this was many years ago). I was glad I did. It opened the world of beers to me. I finally realized that beer could actually taste good. I've primarily had only American lagers at this point in my life. It was poured perfectly in a pilsner glass with a nice head. It filled me up like a meal. It smelled of what I now know is Hallertau hops. It was very cloudy with a nice white head. It tasted like something I've never had at the time. It had a bannana flavor, and a little to much clove, but only slightly detracting. It had a great mouthfeel and was very smooth. I was in heaven, and someday I will have to go back to Germany for this experience again.
I bought it locally when I got back to the US, and it tasted like dirt. I'm not sure what happens on the boat over here, but it lost it all. I would only recommend it if you can find a fresh version, but otherwise, I would try Franziskaner, which seems to taste closer to what I had in Germany.

4.74/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I had this unbelievable beer directly in Munich, Germany for the first time... and I found myself asking, "Where has this beer been my whole life?" I never knew just how good German beer can be and now I have it on stock regularly. The smell is rich in what I can probably agree to being some type of banana. Whether it pours from draft or bottle (I've had both), it has a distinctive taste that it is of utter perfection, with no weird transitions between initial taste and after taste. It is my current favorite beer, as nothing I've had (50+ different beers) so far in my life beats it. Maybe I'll find something one day I like more, but this stuff is incredible.

Having previously gone through inexpensive American beers (Coors, Budweiser, Miller, Michelob Ultra) prior, this was like upgrading from a run-down coach bus to a private jet.

Life is short, pay just a little extra for great tasting beer instead of the cheap stuff.

4.74/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is what American Hefeweizens wish they were. Easy to drink with lots of flavor. I keep trying American Hefeweizens, but keep coming back to this. I'm not sure why the look matters. Smells like wheat beer and tastes delicious.

4.74/5  rDev +17%

Golden blond with a lasting creamy head. This beer, to me, both smells and tastes of banana. The wheat really comes through in this tasty beer. On the back tongue, this beer also has a slightly tart, almost lemon taste. Very light, this is a great summer beer, much more satisfying than most of the popular shandys out there now.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured a bright and warm hazy gold that seemed like a summer day in a glass with a generous and beautifully light white head that hung around nicely. The smell is predominantly a very pleasant citrus with slight flowery and clove smells as well. The taste was incredibly smooth and crisp highlighted by the sweet malt and citrus flavors. The carbonation level was just right to make my mouth and tongue sing for more. Overall this is easily the best Hefe I've ever had, and a pleasure to drink. I look forward to drinking more in the future.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

This is a great Hefeweizen. Colossal head when poured right. A fruity banana aroma permeates the air as your glass rises from the bar. The lemon wedge does wonders in bringing forward the citrus flavors. However, this one can be enjoyed equally without. A nice amber-light yellow color with a slight tinge towards opaque. Terrific feel washing around in the mouth; bountiful and impressing.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

This is beautiful beer in so many ways. Why the Germans (and now the Americans) want to mess it up with a wedge of lemon is beyond me.

Starting with the rocky head and cloudiness, the invitation begins right away. Anticipation is heightened with big banana smell, maybe banana bread, and a little peach or apricot.

And if that's not enough to wake you up, the light bitterness does its job to offset the fruity and smooth sweetness that caresses the inside of the mouth and stays there calling for the rest of the bottle, draft pint or even the canned variety to come join the party. As the gracious host, you oblige.

There is little doubt why this review will be No. 118 for this hefe that is a classic.

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

poured from a bottle into my Paulaner weizen glass.

Beautiful cloudy copper orange color with a big white creamy head that recedes quickly leaving just a skim covering the beer and moderate lacing. Smell of citrus, bread, wheat and spice. Taste is fruity, mostly banana, with some spice and wheat and a nice light hop finish. Mouthfeel is light, smooth and creamy with a dry finish.

This is definitely one of my favorite beers. Drinkablility is high, could easily have many of these in a sitting.

4.71/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer pours a slightly hazy yellow gold. The nose is bursting with banana, brown bread, toast, and general roasty notes. The flavor is complex, bready but light, with a pleasant acidity, tangy, and very satisfying. I have always said wheat beers are not my thing, but this and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis have convinced me otherwise. When done well, a wheat beer can be awesome. Nothing like a classic to convert you to a flavor.

12oz bottle into a pilsner glass

A - Cloudy yellow / light orange. An almost merinque-thick head that stands well above the rim of the glass. It stays about 1/4" thick and leaves an impressive lace all the way up.

S - Rich, luxurious rising bread with an hint of banana. Just a faint and pleasant hint of spicy hops.

T - Rich bread dough and ripe bananas. Very well complimented by citrusy hops that become more spicy as the beer warms and a hint of cloves that also comes out more on warming. A bit more bitter than any other hefe I've tasted- and very enjoyable.

M - Full. Not really heavy- just definitely there. The carbonation is refreshing and just right for the style. It doesn't cloy or overwhelm.

O - What a great hefeweizen!!! This is the apex of the style. The other great German hefes I've tried each have their own brilliance- from more prominent esters to definitive cloviness, but this one just balances it all perfectly. Yet another beer that is better just at cellar temp.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an attractive cloudy orangish-yellow color with a fine head that dissipates quickly but hangs around the edges. Aroma is muted until the beer warms a bit, then it's as inviting as its well-balanced taste. Nice melding of fruit (lemon and banana) and cloves. Clings in the mouth just enough to say, "Please sir, may I have another?" A better Hefe-Weizen I have yet to taste.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WOW, what more can I add, other than this is by far the best hefe that I have ever had the privelege of drinking.

A - Deep orange/flame color. Good head that holds reasonaably well.

S - Fruity, with tones on citrus and banana.

T - A typical whilst pleasant weissbier, with dominant banana/toffee tones.

M - Perfect carbonation, and exceptionally well balanced.

D - Very drinkable, even after a 500ml, you certainly can go for more, unlike many other weissbier that I've drunk.

Overall, personnaly, the best weissbier I've had to date.

4.69/5  rDev +15.8%

The beer pours a cloudy amber-orange. Pour with the glass tilted somewhat vigorously and then stop Let the glass sit as the creamy head rises to 2+ fingers. Then slowly pour the rest of the beer into the glass. The head will rise up like a thick creamy milkshake. Sooo beautiful! The nose has a hint of grass at first followed by banana and bubblegum. The flavor is wonderful as it washes over your tongue with hints of banana, yeast and citrus on the tail end. I am not a big wheat fan but this is my favorite Hefe and in my top 5 beers. This beer is crisp and refreshing, especially in the summer and has a wonderful feel from the yeast. I probably drink more of this beer than others. Way to go Paulaner!

4.69/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The standard by which I measure all wheat beers. Crisp and refreshing but with great body and taste. Opaque with beautiful color. I've only had it in bottles but would love to try it on draft.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

Beautiful hazy golden with a creamy white head on top. Banana and light clove in the nose. Great wheat and yeast with an awesome banana character and just enough clove. Awesome creamy mouthfeel and amazingly drinkable. Damn was this awesome. I really don't think anything would have tasted better after a long week of work.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

This is an outstanding example of a quality wheat beer. Makers of wheat beers, study this one. It is great all around. I don't really have anything negative to say about it. The initial drink down to the last drop and the aftertaste are all good for me. Great job!

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

This is easily one of the best hefeweizens that I have ever tasted. I picked this one up while trying out a new store for a BeerFly review. Paulaner makes quite a few great brews, and this one does not disappoint. In fact, it just blew me away.

It poured with a wonderful 3/4 inch head, carbonation bubbles aplenty. Dark and yellowish in color, I couldn't see entirely through the beer. It had a beautiful cloudiness. It hit me as being slightly sharp on the nose, almost but not quite bitter, but that didn't pan out at all in the taste. It was far smoother than it initially smelled.

The taste just excelled. Smooth...oh so smooth...I was halfway through the mug before I even knew it. Citrus flavors mingled with the grain, a spicy middle replacing the lemons and orange peels. It finished with a very slight hops tingle, but there was almost no bitterness to be found in this brew. Absolutely world-class, this beer has to be considered one of the standards for the style.

Better than average mouthfeel. Great natural carbonation. High marks on drinkability. It would be very easy to put away quite a few of these in one sitting. This would be a fantastic session beer, especially on a warm summer evening, sitting around on the back porch. It would go great with some lemon-pepper chicken or pork.

Do NOT pass this beer up if you see it. A classic in every way.

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

A - Pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a huge and thick, foamy, almost creamy, frothy head tops the amber body. the color is a bit darker than usual. The lively head comes down to a good sized covering

S - a subdued smell with whiffs of wheat/bread upon opening, with light hints of spices and even less a suggestion of fruit in the background. The yeast gives its banana and bubblegum smell up front. Both the banana and bubblegum are strong enough to make their presence felt.

T - The taste is bubblegum on first sip, followed by a banana fruitiness. Wheat underlies it all, as in the nose, with a subtle spice that gives it refreshing character.

MF&D - Light to medium bodied, with a short, clean finish with a good amount of carbonation, and a good consistency to the viscosity. Drinkability is very high, ahhhh, thirst quenching

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a nice creamy white head. The beer it self has a really nice hazy golden color. Banana, citrus, clove smell and taste. Low carbonation. It is a really smooth hefe. Can't go wrong with one of these.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

This is one of my favorite beers. It's a great starter and a great finisher. I have found this one all over the place so it should be easy enough to find for anyone that has never been able to try it.

I'm not the best at rating so I'll just say that it's a cloudy golden, crisp beer that tastes great on the palate. Please try this if you haven't.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

Aroma here is very rich and strong. Banana...fruity esters....spice...pepper. It's all there. One of the best I've had. Also extremely cloudy, as per style. For some reason, it just seems more cloudy than others. I could be wrong.

Carbonation is prickly. Initial taste is of sweet, fruit esters...banana. There's some citrus involved there as well. Spicy cloves make an appearance as well....and in the finish, there's a good mix of spices and citrus combining together. There's even a little wheat perceptible...though it is faint. Not too much aftertaste here; it's pretty clean.

Tasty beer!! I love hefeweizens, and I really love the ones with powerful flavors. This fits the bill.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

Amazing head. Perfect height, creamy white. The head slowly, unevenly goes away. The aroma is out of this world. As soon as I put my nose to it, I want to gulp it down! But I resist and sniff a bit longer. Not too lemony, very wheaty. Tastes superb, crisp, light, a little too fizzly on the tongue, but one of the most drinkable beers I've had. The taste and aroma drag you back for more, and the aftertaste is very pleasant.

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured a hazy orange/gold color from a 11.2 oz bottle, with ABV and 'best-by' date clearly marked on the label.
Towering head that does not want to go anywhere. Dissipates very slowly and leaves behind some really nice lace.
Aroma is a wonderful blend of fruity esters, banana being the prominent one with hints of clove, some sweetness and spice.
Taste compliments the aroma perfectly. All the aroma components make their presence felt on the tongue. This is just a delicious brew; crisp, clean and easy to drink. Perfect for a hot, summer day. Great drinkability and mouthfeel.
One of the best hefe's out there, and a must-try for anyone who enjoys a good hefe.
Highly recommended.

Poured into pint glass

S - Sweet, banana bread, pine, cloves
A - Pours a hazy gold-honey color, big thick white head, medium lacing
T - Wheat, banana, cloves
M - Tangy, high carbonation, dry, sweet and clean finish
O - Love this brew. What a hefe should be. Very sessionable.

Paulaner Hefe-Weissbier Naturtrüb from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG