Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Paulaner Premium Pils | Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

paulaner.de

Style: German Pilsener

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-18-2001

1.54/5  rDev -58.6%

A - A dull shade of gold with a flimsy head that soon reduces to a haze of dishwater film. Crystal clear with lots of tiny champagne bubbles. Swirling brings up a thin cap of white foam, and there is a good amount of spotty lacing on the glass.

S - Saltine cracker pils malts with subtle clean hop notes. Typical German pils nose.

T - Bitter and clean. Saltine crackers, salty cheese-whip, and metallic mineral flavors. I don't really care for mineral flavors in my beers, and this one is like sucking on a penny. Wow. This is no good. Makes my fillings hurt.

M - Thin, extremely carbonated, acidic, sour, and metallic.

D - Terrible. This is overly salty and metallic. I can barely finish this one....I will though (I don't believe in wasting beer....there are thirsty kids in China and my mom taught me to always clean my plate).

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

2.25/5  rDev -39.5%

2.31/5  rDev -37.9%

Violent pour creates a small egg-white head that dies off quickly. Crystal clear, light straw in color.

Smells like some of the Non-alcoholic brews--like raw grains. No discernible hop. Disappointing.

Has a sweetish quality to the taste but has a dry finish. Slight hop in the swallow. The body is appropriate for the style although the carbonation is little high.

Not my cup of tea for a pilsner. It has too many of the bland flavors I associate with the American macros.

2.65/5  rDev -28.8%

I originally sampled this Pilsener on 19 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I'll preface this by saying that I'm not too big on pilseners. So, it comes as no surprise that I found nothing exciting about this beer. It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't anything I'd go back for

2.75/5  rDev -26.1%

2.77/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Paulaner Premium Pils, in a 12 ounce bottle. Produced on 04/08, so it's a bit old. Oh well, here goes the review:

Pours crystal clear gold with a white head that quickly dissipates. It leaves some large, soapy looking bubbles behind. No apparent yeast flaoties, just some sparse tiny bubbles rising to the top.

Not too much of a smell, it's an aged pils what am i to expect? Has a slight hint of both hops and malt.

Body is good, medium, with nice carbonation. Tastes a little more than it smells. Has some subdued malts and sour hops. Doesn't taste fresh, it has kind of that stale feeling, the flavor just kinda rolls off your tongue and into your throat with a sort of nothingness. It actually has a nice slightly bitter aftertaste with nice burp taste, but on the tongue its pretty unappealing. But overall this is about as un-robust as a pils gets. Could be the age, I will try to re-review when I get a fresher bottle.

2.79/5  rDev -25%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.81/5  rDev -24.5%

Traditional Paulaner aroma with a hint of toasted malts comes from a thin, straw brew. It isn’t tasteless, but doesn’t really have a distinct flavor other than a sharp tinge when you first swallow. This is a crisp, light lager that is what Budweiser tries to mimic. That being said, it makes me think of cheap, tasteless brew that leaves one wanting. Ok beer, not worth the import price.

2.82/5  rDev -24.2%

Poured this into a pilsner glass. Small head, though nice carbonation, pale yellow color. Head has a pleasant aroma to it. Tastes pretty ordinary to me. Nothing stands out in any way. Pretty standard, though not bad. It just doesn't do anything for me. Very boring, and overpriced.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

Pours gold with a large quickly fading head.
Nose shows some grassy/spicy noble hops with sweet biscuity malt. Subtle but nice.
Flavours disappoint in comparison, only a little of the hops transfer through. There's a faint biscuity malt character but otherwise its pretty grainy and boring.
Higher carbonation would be good.

2.9/5  rDev -22%

There it is in my glass, billowing foam, crystal clear and straw colour. I anticipate great things, but bring to my nose and can smell only sweet bready malt and a vague floral hoppiness. Not much going on in either flavor or aroma. Fairly crisp, but not sharp. Carbonation high, the bubbles rise constantly. A slight floral and citrus aftereffect but the drink itself is fairly boring.
Bit of a disappointment here, was expecting a less malty beverage.

2.95/5  rDev -20.7%

2.97/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance – Very light yellow in color and almost clear with a rather disappointing head.

Smell – Nice, earthy floral hops make up the majority of the aroma here. There’s also a hint of fruity sweetness.

Taste – This one has some good carbonation for a Pils, and the flavor profile seems to be supported by a much stronger malt base than I picked up from the nose. The finish is light and fruity.

Mouthfeel – More on the carbonation. It was there, but lacked the fluffy, tickling character of a good Pils. The dryness was interesting; there’s definitely sweetness at the finish, but that dryness holds true and seems to almost suck the saliva from your cheeks.

Drinkability – I didn’t think that this was a classic representation of the style and otherwise wasn’t too impressed. I guess after reviewing their incredible Hefe Weizen I expected a little more.

Not bad, just not good.

Bottle. Pours a pale yellow colour with a nice large longlasting head. Has a malty grassy, slightly grainy aroma. The flavor is sweet malty with grassy hints. Also some grainy hints. Medium mouthfeel with a long bitter aftertaste. An okay German pilsener.

Paulaner Premium Pils from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG