Salvator Doppel Bock

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Salvator Doppel BockSalvator Doppel Bock
Notes: This unfiltered bottom fermented double bock beer has been brewed for over 375 years--always adhering to the original recipe. The taste is unmistakable, with its smooth chocolate flavor, robust dark caramel maltiness and a light note of hops--providing a nice intensity on the palate.
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,429 | Ratings: 2,901 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by ONUMello:
3.98/5  rDev +0.8%

11.2oz bottle (best before 9/14, oops, didn't see that before getting it from my local beer store) poured into an Ayinger dobbel bock glass
A: Hazy caramel color with a one-finger head
S: Caramel, wheat, bread, brown sugar
T: Matches the nose; a bit sweet, definitely malt-heavy but tasty
M:Medium-bodied, somewhat sweet
O: A good example of the style. Tasty, but a touch sweet... if that were toned down just a bit it would go from very good to great. Still worth a try

4.34/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours medium - dark amber. 1 Inch cream head. Aroma is sweet malts, brown bread (think pumpernickel) and toast. Taste is somewhat toasty with chewy raisin. Low-medium carbonation. Overall, it's a solid example of the style as it should be considering its history.

4.49/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have had plenty of Austrian Bocks, Festbocks and the like, Doubles I am not that familiar with yet. Are they all like this or is it just the German kind?
It reminds me a bit of Barleywines, kind of similar in taste and feel.kind of round bodied, thick, syrupy and boozy - which is great. Never thought I would be praising a German beer but here we go. This one is just great, great balance between booziness and sweetness, does not overdo either. As good as it would get, or rather: I am quite satisfied with this.

4.27/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Yes! This is a nice one. My gramps used to tell me about the "doppel bock", he was German to the core, and would have enjoyed this one, I'm sure. Very nice reddish-brown look. Awesome smell. Banana-booze smell and a VERY balanced caramel-banana-booze flavor. Simply delicious, and underrated, imho. I think this one is better than many high-rated Germans.

Edit: now I see why gramps said you have to drink beer warm. I don't always agree with that, but in the case of the doppelbock, he might be right. The one I had yesterday was much more special than the cold one I'm having today. The sweet and caramel flavor and smell is subdued and more hops are present. Takes it from a 4.3 to a 3.9, imo.

4.71/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

11.2 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
7.9% ABV, Best Before: 05/14

A - Salvator pours delicately cloudy but maintains it's brilliant color that starts with a golden orange color at the base, gradually shifting to a burnt orange in the more volumetric top where it's sturdy tan head slowly plateaus to leave little gobs of lace.

S - Smelling like wort brewing, Salvator consists of dense bread, bold caramel sweetness, toasted Vienna malts, and a perfect absence of hops. This is the kind of doppelbock aroma dreams are made of!

T - Perfectly malty, Salvator's gooey caramel sweetness has Vienna toasted bread notes with a fantastic lingering sweetness that never gets cloying or absentmindedly unbalanced. Again, the intentional lack of hops is very nice in this, letting the bready malt complexity shine.

M - Smooth and medium-full bodied with a lower carbonation level and almost creamy, sweet finish, I can't stress enough the importance and impact of how malty but balanced and not cloying this doppelbock is.

O - Malt lovers rejoice! This. Is. Exceptional. Paulaner's Salvator is one of the kings of the doppelbock kingdom and for good reason; perfect malt balance so as to not be overly sweet but still keep a fuller bodied feel that washes down with delicious bready complexity and a smooth finish.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Deep hazy orangeish brown, fairly dark, with a creamy tan head.

S: Nose is full of malt, bready, with a bit of red apple.

T: Malt has you up front, followed by a touch of alcohol. Finish and aftertaste are malty.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

O: My favorite bottom fermented beer. It's a malt bomb, and for a long time it was my favorite beer. If you like malty beers, this is the beer for you.

11 oz. bottle poured into a regular ol' pint glass (all I had available at the time). Best by date of August 2016, so this is still relatively fresh.

Pours a murky dark red with a thin, quickly dissipating head. Smells of raisins and caramel malts. Slight alcohol bite is noticeable as well. The taste is a nice blend of caramel malts, raisins, toffee, and bread. Alcohol is a bit more noticeable here than it is with the real titans of the style like Weihenstephaner Korbinian. Mouth feel is medium.

Overall, a very solid doppel bock, and certainly a classic. I actually enjoyed this more than Ayinger Celebrator, but that bottle may have been a bit oxidized or something given everyone else's rave reviews.

Weihenstephaner Korbinian remains my favorite of this style. A bit smoother and more luxurious than Salvator.

4.21/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: 10/15 code date. Appearance: Clear ruby red/brown, with a thick khaki foam head. Aroma: Toasted bread crust, figs, raisins, dark cherries Taste: Rich bready, toasted, chocolate malt. Very fruity, with notes of figs and cherries. Multiple layers of flavor here. Mouthfeel: Medium body and moderate mouthfeel, with an underlying alcohol warmth. Finish: Leaves a warm toasted breadiness on the palate. Overall: A world class doppelbock. Rich malt breadiness and fruity character, that leaves you feeling

4.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

11.2 oz. bottle

Pours clear red amber with a creamy off-white foam head. Smells like caramel, toffee, toasted malts, rich brown bread, red and black grapes, red apple, some chocolate, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like dark caramel, toffee, roasty toasted malts, rich brown bread, some chocolate, red and black grapes, red apple skin, with floral earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. Overall a really nice doppelbock.

4.41/5  rDev +11.6%

Nice little gem that surprised me. I am a fan of malt and this one hit me very well. A lot of malt but it really comes across as light and drinkable. I was really surprised that is was 7.9% ABV, it did not come across as that high. Full of flavor but very smooth and drinkable. Excellent beer that I hope to keep in my regular rotation.

4.77/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am fixated on doppelbocks. I try every one I can get my hands on. I hate the mentality that says this is only a winter beer or a spring beer...probably invented by some hop loving, fruit infused, pseudo beer connoisseur from a hipster town. I consider this the benchmark doppelbock which all others are made to compare to. Excellent aroma, medium brown with good head characteristics. Mild carbonation. Best enjoyed by having only one in a session (and make it your first one). Rich, full flavor. I have been a long time fan of Salvator and prefer it over Celebrator initially because of the price (and I don't know what to do with all those cute little goat decorations you get on each bottle of Celebrator), and now because of the richer flavor (more Munich malt presence and slightly sweeter) Salvator has over Celebrator. Still left some room in my score for another dopplebock to challenge.

4.22/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 320mL bottle into my Ayinger Celebrator pokal.

Sienna to bronze gradient, not quite clear with a half finger of buff cream on the surface. Average retention; fine, delicate lacing.

Bready, jam-on-toast aroma with faint milk chocolate hints as well. Malt-forward with barely discernible hops.

Melanoidin-heavy, deep, rich maltiness on the palate, growing sweeter into the finish where it is eventually joined by a low earthy bitterness from the hops. Hints of fruit laced black tea and caramel at times, and hints of alcohol. No off notes.

Medium-light bodied, gently warming, and clean with moderate carbonation.

A clean, not-quite-sweet, deeply malty exemplar of the style - I prefer Optimator (darker) or Celebrator (more potent), but this is probably the best value among the easily obtainable imports.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

L: Pours orange gold to ruby brown under a finely bubbled persistent clingy 2” white foam collar. S: Aroma: bready malt aroma but not boatloads, a little musty with a touch of fruit and chocolate.T: Strong malt flavors with melanoidins and a hint of fruit and chocolate. Liquid bread. Faint tartness, light bitter accent. F: Full body, medium carbonation, alcohol, clean and smooth. O: A big, full flavored, complex world class beer

4.81/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Light tan to Copper

S: sweet smell, maybe oaken hints

T: Was accurate for a German Dopple, it was smooth and easy to drink. We drank at 57F (12 C)so the extra alchol wasnt apparent.

M: I smelled the and tasted like a heavy bier but the mothfeel was light, the appreance tricks the eye.

O: This is one of great Dopplebock's, but drink it just below room tempature to get the wonderful real experience. Grabbed one from the fridge after our tasting and the cold (42 F) changed the taste, it needs to warm to truely be at its best.

3.61/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark amber, dark white creamy foam.
In the smell the malt dominates, with caramel touches, a bit of toasted and nuts and dry fruit.
Taste: malt and caramel, that give a good warming, but without being too sweet.
Average body, a bit of alcohol in the aftertaste, again nuts.
Founder of the style, it is still a great representative of the category.

4.9/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

It is one of my favorites it turned me on to dopple bock. When the income tax refund comes in gonna get me some. Its not so expensive, I'm just el pooro.

3.95/5  rDev 0%

I just enjoyed my last Celebrator last night and I sat down with one of these before I started my homework. It struck me as a very similiar taste as celebrator (as I guess the type would make it so) but was significantly weaker. Thats not to say that is a detriment in the beer. I look at it as enabling me to drink more of these than I could Celebrator and though I enjoy the taste of Celebrator more, the lighterness of this brew in comparison helps it's drinkability. Now as for the beer it has a very unique red tint to its dark amber color. The head is light and cabornation is even lighter. The taste is a rich toasted malt with a trace of an alcohol aftertaste. Leaves a slight lace around the ale glass I am drinking out of. I like this brew and I think I might have thought more of it had it not been for the two six packs of celebrators I have been enjoying all weekend. I will definetly give it a retry in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, dark, deep amber body with a medium-sized, though dense, off-white head.

Smell: Sweet-smelling, lightly nutty nose of dried herbs, honey, pears, and even sugar-coated figs.

Taste: Lightly toasty, lightly nutty malt flavor with a definite sweetness, but it's kept in check by an herbal spice character, the certainly noticeable alcohol, and the bitter hops. Rum-soaked fruitiness. Still though, it finishes bready and sweet with warming alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A fine, respectable doppelbock, but, truth be told, it's bit boozy for me.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Serving Type Sampled: 12fl. oz. brown crown top bottle. Features produced on date.

Appearance: The beer pours a deep copper in color, crystal clear. Formed a nice 2 finger off white head that diminished rather quickly but still clings to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Intense maltiness, Dried fruits, alcohol.

Taste: Big, sweet maltiness up front. I taste some dried fruits prunes and raisins, kind of tart. I also taste alcohol, I guess at 7.9% what do you expect. I also taste a spicy note just can’t put my finger on it. The finish is some what cloying and sweet.

Mouthfeel: Chewy! Medium to full body, very light carbonation.

Drinkability: Great, for being 7.9% this is a very drinkable beer. Very smooth and a perfect balance of sweetness. This beer also follows the style guidelines quite well.

3.85/5  rDev -2.5%

crystal clear amber with a lacy head.

dark fruits dominate the smell.

a little bitter bite fades very quickly to a caramel backed by dark fruits. hints of alchol warm the tounge.

smooth very chewy low on the carbonation. The Germans know how to do it.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a dark slightly hazy amber. Smell of figs, brown sugar, raisins, roasted malts.

Taste of nice mild not overly sweet brown sugar. Thick roasted malts, figs, raisins, wheat bread and some caramel. All of the flavors in this Doppelbock really come together well. This is a fantastic example of the style and a great deal at under $10 a six pack. Carbonation is on the light side which I think is ideal for the style, bringing out more of the roasted malt and raisin flavors.

Overall a very well put together Doppelbock. I think they have mastered making this beer over the three hundred years it has been being brewed. Great job.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Cellar temperature. Tulip.

It's got a fleeting head of tan foam, and a mahogany sort of red hue going on. I can see a lot of carbonation. Pretty.

A really nice aroma from this of sweet red fruits like cherries and apples, raisins, and even some cinnamon. Lovely.

Oh yeah, baby, give me that fruitiness! Now this is interesting: rather than the more roasted, stout-like maltiness of some doppelbocks, this brings the full-on fruitiness that the aroma suggests, very nicely balanced between sweet and tart. A sweet breadiness is apparent after the fruity burst. This reminds me of some of the red-hued Belgian ales I've sampled. Clean finish from the effervescence.

Highly carbonated, and full-bodied.

A fruit-forward dopplebock that immediately fires apples and cherries at you, and asks questions later.

Salvator Doppel Bock from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG