Salvator Doppel Bock | Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG
Germany
paulaner.de

Style: Doppelbock

This unfiltered bottom fermented double bock beer has been brewed for over 375 years--always adhering to the original recipe. The taste is unmistakable, with its smooth chocolate flavor, robust dark caramel maltiness and a light note of hops--providing a nice intensity on the palate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001

Ratings: 2,739 |  Reviews: 1,377
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

16oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A - Aggressive pour yields a 4 inch head. Reddish brown in color, slightly hazy.

S - bready, dark fruits like plums or cherries, also get a decent amount of hops

T - sweet fruits, plums and cherries again, good bready malt backbone. burst of hops and booze toward the end. booze is almost overpowering after a few sips

M - medium bodied, a nice stickiness to it, but not imposing

O - A good beer for a few sips, but halfway down, the booze starts to kill off other flavors in my mouth. Worth trying however.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours out very thin in an amber color. White brown head that was stable (much longer then the bottle).

Smell/Aroma: Smells of malty caramel. Vey promising smell.

Taste: Mostly malt taste. Almost no hops. Very good taste although sometimes you can taste the alcohol after taste.

Mouthfeel: Very thick beer. Goes down ok. After half a liter you can feel your head starting to spin.

Overall this is an amazing beer.

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: Pours out very thin in a reddish amber color. Very little head that dissipates quickly. If this beer were a hooker, I would not pay her for this head. No froth, just a few bubbles to remind me of its carbonation.

Smell/Aroma: Reeks of malty caramel with light spices with a slight alcohol tinge. Upon hitting the nose, my senses gear up for a delightful treat. They are not let down.

Taste: Salvator is very bocky. A alot of malt, not very hoppy. It almost has an oak casket taste, not like the one my dead grandmother is buried in, but the kind they use for bourbon. A strong deep flavor with a kick that reminds you it is nearly 8%. Usually when reviewing, I savor my beers and enjoy them slow, this is so drinkable I found my schooner nearly empty in just a few minutes. I love the taste of this bock, and if this beer were a hooker, I would forgive her for her lack of head, because she tastes amazing.

Mouthfeel. It goes down easy and smooth. It lacks head and thickness, but still manages to feel creamy. I would say if this beer were a hooker, I like her in my mouth.

Overall this is a great beer. If anybody tells you otherwise, they have probably had some amazing hookers.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Dark brownish red and crystal clear. Thick white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Very malty, lots of caramel and toffee. Can also pick up some alcohol.

T: If you were to serve this to me blind and tell me it was barrel aged, I would absolutely believe you. It's extremely malty and bready, with a wood character and something that reminds me of Bourbon. I almost feel like the heat is the best balance for the malt as hops seem to be an afterthought. For the record, I'm absolutely not complaining!

M: Under carbonated for sure, but I might blame that on being obviously a little on the old side. The alcohol is present but pleasant. Very creamy.

O: I honestly can't decide if I like this beer or absolutely love it. At the moment, I expected something a little easier to drink as that's what I'm in the mood for. Give me a chilly night after dinner and this would be the perfect sipper. A truly great beer.

3.25/5  rDev -17.1%

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Murky brownish orange color with a head the disappears almost immediately.

S- I could hardly smell anything. Maybe a little malt and diacetyl but it isn't potent.

T- I like the flavor. The alcohol content comes through in a pleasant warming way. The caramel malt is present. Not much for hops, but there is something subtle there.

M- It's a wash, just the way I like my lagers. Easy to kick down, carbonated as hell, and dry finish.

O- It's a good beer. It'd buy it again in a mix-your-own 6 pack, but i don't think i could commit to a full 6 pack of it.

3.75/5  rDev -4.3%