Salvator Doppel Bock | Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG

Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG
Germany
paulaner.de

Style: Doppelbock

This unfiltered bottom fermented double bock beer has been brewed for over 375 years--always adhering to the original recipe. The taste is unmistakable, with its smooth chocolate flavor, robust dark caramel maltiness and a light note of hops--providing a nice intensity on the palate.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2001

Ratings: 2,743 |  Reviews: 1,379

2.25/5  rDev -42.6%

4.02/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pours out very thin in an amber color. White brown head that was stable (much longer then the bottle).

Smell/Aroma: Smells of malty caramel. Vey promising smell.

Taste: Mostly malt taste. Almost no hops. Very good taste although sometimes you can taste the alcohol after taste.

Mouthfeel: Very thick beer. Goes down ok. After half a liter you can feel your head starting to spin.

Overall this is an amazing beer.

4.62/5  rDev +17.9%

Appearance: Pours out very thin in a reddish amber color. Very little head that dissipates quickly. If this beer were a hooker, I would not pay her for this head. No froth, just a few bubbles to remind me of its carbonation.

Smell/Aroma: Reeks of malty caramel with light spices with a slight alcohol tinge. Upon hitting the nose, my senses gear up for a delightful treat. They are not let down.

Taste: Salvator is very bocky. A alot of malt, not very hoppy. It almost has an oak casket taste, not like the one my dead grandmother is buried in, but the kind they use for bourbon. A strong deep flavor with a kick that reminds you it is nearly 8%. Usually when reviewing, I savor my beers and enjoy them slow, this is so drinkable I found my schooner nearly empty in just a few minutes. I love the taste of this bock, and if this beer were a hooker, I would forgive her for her lack of head, because she tastes amazing.

Mouthfeel. It goes down easy and smooth. It lacks head and thickness, but still manages to feel creamy. I would say if this beer were a hooker, I like her in my mouth.

Overall this is a great beer. If anybody tells you otherwise, they have probably had some amazing hookers.

4.17/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Dark brownish red and crystal clear. Thick white head that dissipates quickly.

S: Very malty, lots of caramel and toffee. Can also pick up some alcohol.

T: If you were to serve this to me blind and tell me it was barrel aged, I would absolutely believe you. It's extremely malty and bready, with a wood character and something that reminds me of Bourbon. I almost feel like the heat is the best balance for the malt as hops seem to be an afterthought. For the record, I'm absolutely not complaining!

M: Under carbonated for sure, but I might blame that on being obviously a little on the old side. The alcohol is present but pleasant. Very creamy.

O: I honestly can't decide if I like this beer or absolutely love it. At the moment, I expected something a little easier to drink as that's what I'm in the mood for. Give me a chilly night after dinner and this would be the perfect sipper. A truly great beer.

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

3.46/5  rDev -11.7%

A- Murky brownish orange color with a head the disappears almost immediately.

S- I could hardly smell anything. Maybe a little malt and diacetyl but it isn't potent.

T- I like the flavor. The alcohol content comes through in a pleasant warming way. The caramel malt is present. Not much for hops, but there is something subtle there.

M- It's a wash, just the way I like my lagers. Easy to kick down, carbonated as hell, and dry finish.

O- It's a good beer. It'd buy it again in a mix-your-own 6 pack, but i don't think i could commit to a full 6 pack of it.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.03/5  rDev -22.7%

12 0z bottle poured into a Mug.

A- Dark with very nice head.
S- Light hop, malty, brown sugar.
T- sweet with toffee, licorice, and dark fruit. Some bitterness.
M-Creamy and thick. Medium body.
O-Good doppelbock, on the lighter side, but wasn't bad. Would get again.

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

3.67/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a light caramel/amber, with a medium creme head that dissipates quickly. Leaves moderate lacing. This is a bit lighter than most popular doppelbocks, but looks aren't everything. It still looks appetizing.

The nose is gifted with caramel malt, pale malt, some dark fruit, and a touch of fudgy chocolate. Less chocolate than most doppelbocks, with more dark rye bread.

The flavors are similar. Less chocolatey than other doppelbocks. More figs and raisin, and alcohol is well hidden.

This is a good doppel, however I prefer the fudgy ones more.

Salvator Doppel Bock from Paulaner Brauerei GmbH & Co. KG