Penn Oktoberfest | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania, United States
pennbrew.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

A rich, deep golden-colored lager fest bier that is exceptionally smooth and mellow. Uses two-row malted barley and a combination of roasted malts. Highly rated by the National Tasting Institute.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2001

4.92/5  rDev +29.8%

Marzens are one ofy favorite styles and of the 40 or so I've had this is no doubt top three (and arguably the best). Rich, bready and so authentic it blows away most of it's Bavarian competition.

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

An Oktoberfest in its classic form. Traditional color. Crisp clean taste and finish. To me simply best in class

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

This Oktoberfest pours a brilliant golden amber that's as clear as can be. It pours with a one finger loose head, but the carbonation in this beer is vigorous and quite well spread. It's quite a beuty for the eyes.
This beer smells faintly of biscuity malts. Not much Hop's detected either. As far as aromas go this is very light but straight forward and simple.
The taste of the Oktoberfest is amazing. I'm loving how awesome the finish to this beer is. It comes in the mouth biscuity and slightly sweet. Really comparable to a hot cereal served cold. And in the finish I'm getting one of the best maltiness I've ever experienced in an Oktoberfest.
The mouthfeel is very light and a bit thiner than others in the style. This however makes it too easy to drink.
Thanks PBC for making yet another awesome beer. I've never been disapointed yet.

4.54/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours orangish bronze with a white head that soon becomes a patch. Minimal amount of lacing sticks to the glass.

The smell is grainy - carmelish - malty - slightly grassy.

The taste is of rich, fresh, caramelish malt. Slightly nutty and bready. A spicy Hallertau hop bitterness balances out the sweetness of the malt to give it a refreshingly dry finish.

Medium to full bodied, it has a wonderfully smooth texture with just the right amount of malty sweetness lingering on the palate.

This is a wonderful, highly drinkable, interpretation of the style. This is what an O-fest is all about! A rich, carmelized malt-accented, Hallertau hopped (though hops play an appropriately supportive role), incredibly smooth, This is one that I would definately love to stock up on for the O-fest season!

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

4.48/5  rDev +18.2%

A really good beer, well worth the wait each year. There is a definite roasted barley flavor that is neither overpowering or burned tasting.
It's a very smooth drinking beer with just a bit of bite. I happen to be a fan of most of their beers, but this is one of their best..
I think what most impresses me is the flavor that you immediately taste. I was completely unprepared for the very pleasant flavor.

4.47/5  rDev +17.9%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle. Color is amber, with a good head. The smell is a slightly cereal malt. The taste has a decent malt sweetness, but provides a nice hop bitterness to balance it out. Mouthfeel is very smooth. As for drinkability, could drink these all day!

Well, maybe I'm a bit biased, but Penn certainly makes one of the top Oktoberfests of the year. I'll certainly have as many of these as I can, and I'll certainly look for this next year.

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle and poured into my favorite beer mug. Color is amber, with a good head. The smell is a slightly cereal malt. The taste has a decent malt sweetness, but provides a nice hop bitterness to balance it out. Mouthfeel is very smooth. As for drinkability, could drink these all day!

Well, maybe I'm a bit biased being from Da 'Burgh, but Penn certainly makes one of the top Oktoberfests of the year. I'll certainly have as many of these as I can, and I'll certainly look for this next year.

4.4/5  rDev +16.1%

Probably the best domestic Oktoberfest ive had so far this year. Pours a medium tea colour with a nice white head that lasts and laces well.. Typical malty sweetness on the nose with just a hint of hops.. Drinks smooth as silk. Malty goodness all the way down with enough hops to keep it from getting too caramel sweet. Mouthfeel is so good it wants me to put on my lederhosen and yodel. Maybe a bit a bit more malty than the German Oktoberfest beers, but those seem to be getting lighter.. This one went perfectly with a simple dinner of boiled potatoes, Raclette cheese and brown bread.

4.35/5  rDev +14.8%

Slightly yeasty aroma with a hint of cheddar cheese! Orange-brass body, very clear, with a nice tan head that dies quickly but leaves good lacing. Very chewy in the mouth, but also slightly gritty. Sweet and slick tasting, with a bitter aftertaste.

I like this Oktoberfest. It has a slight sourness that is reminiscent of a good English ale. I'm not sure that's a good thing for an Oktoberfest, nor am I sure that it's not a good thing, but I don't care either way. I like it.

Penn Oktoberfest from Pennsylvania Brewing Company