Penn Weizen | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
pennbrew.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Authentic wheat beer, brewed in the Southern German tradition, won the Silver Medal in 1997 and the Gold Medal at the 2000 in Denver, Colorado. Penn Weizen is top-fermented, cask-conditioned, and very effervescent with a slight hint of tangy clove flavor.

Added by SheepNutz on 03-06-2002

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last
Reviews: 239 | Ratings: 379
3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Aroma: A nice bready aroma with light citrus

Appearance: Golden wheat colored and hazy with a frothy white head

Taste: Lightly toasted malt, bread, crackers, with hints of citrus and clove. A bit of tang also comes through on this

Mouthfeel: Nice light feeling with good carbonation, and no alcohol burn at all

Overall: Great light weizen and very smooth. At 4%, this would be very refreshing on a hot summer day

Notes: This is my first beer from Penn Brew Co, as well as from Clubs of America, which turned out to be a great first impression from both. This was a really solid beer, something I would be open to picking up from my local bottle shop on occasion if they had it, but it isn't available in this area. This brew has also won numerous awards in the craft beer community, most notably the Gold medal in 2000 at the Great American Beer Festival.

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%

Bananas, bananas. Pours like a milkshake, very thick and cloudy, and a little darker than expected, but to style. Did I mention bananas? Aroma comes on the pour. Hops are mainly for a bitter balance on the tongue. Flavor has more variety, with cloves, vanilla, and mild spices. Mouthfeel is thick but still light, with a nice finish that's dryer than expected. A good Weizen that even agrees with kielbasa and kraut, and cuts the grease nicely.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

Penn Wiezen is an authentic German style, unfiltered wheat beer with the nose, look and taste of a classic German Summer beer.
The pour threw of some classic scents of banana or cloves.
Color is a cloudy, sunny yellow. while unfiltered like all hefeweizens, the yeast had clumped a bit more than I was expecting. The head was a nice, rich white, not lasting beyond two or three swallows.
Taste was crisp. First taste is pleasant malt, followed by a bit of sharp hop bitterness. This is a refreshing beer to be enjoyed on a sunny day, with or without a lemon.
All in all, Penn Brewing delivers a fine, German style beer.

I understand Penn Brewery's days are numbered due to the sale of the Brewery and the development of the surrounding land. I, for one, will miss this and other Penn Brewery beers.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Serving: 12oz brown bottle, poured in a bubbled Imperial pint glass

Pours opaque yellow-golden, with a thick, quickly diminishing off-white head, with large bubbles cascading superiorly..

Aroma of citris, lemony, banana, light clove, Bavarian yeast

Taste follows suit with the aroma of lemon and banana, yeast and clove, that finishes with a bit more clove and breadiness..

A refreshingly delicious beer for a hot summer day!! A good example of a Bavarian wheat, that doesn't last long in the glass, and the drinkablitiy is just wonderful, smooth. You could easily polish off about 3 without missing a beat..

4.19/5  rDev +7.7%

I was pleasantly surprised with this purchase. I have been searching for a 'true' American hefe, and I believe I have found it. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a frosted pint glass, it took quite a lengthy swirl to free the generous sediment. Color is very nice, almost a burnt orange, cloudy, with a strong head, and good retention. Smell just a tad weak, but the flavor more than makes up for it. Very nice clove and ripe banana in the backround, and incredible drinkability. Purchased on a recent weekend getaway to a relative in Easton, PA. I only hope I can find this one locally, as I will definitely be on the lookout for this one my next trip to the beer shack. A big thumbs up here. I am in love with the hefeweizens, and this one pleases, for sure!

4.84/5  rDev +24.4%

A - Pours a cloudy golden color, slightly orange.

S - Very pleasant aroma, slight citrus smell, hint of banana. One of the best smelling Hefeweizen ales I have enjoyed.

T - Hints of citrus with a pleasant bananna bread & clove flavor. Has a well balanced taste.

M - Goes down quick, fairly light, leaves some carbonation behind for a tingly feeling.

D - Light, smooth, very drinkable. A very well balanced ale, with an exceptional flavor and aroma. This has got to be one of my all time favorite ales. One of the best I have ever tasted!

Serving type: bottle (poured into glass)

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I live in Pittsburgh but travel to Germany quite often and have had the opportunity to compare Penn Brewery's Weizen Beer with some of the great German and Belgium Wheat Beers.
Penn Brewery's Weizen is as good as some of the best German Wheat Beers, and better than many others.
I enjoy the slight taste of fruit and spice in wheat beer but it can easily become overpowering. They seem to have got it just right.
It's also one of the few beers that taste nearly as good from the bottle as from the tap.

3.05/5  rDev -21.6%

Beer pours a slightly cloudy yellow but not as cloudy as I would expect from Hefe....even when I get all the yeast out of the bottle. Large head as expected for a beer this carbonated.

Beer smells of citrus but I don't get much clove or banana smell.

The beer doesn't taste much like many Hefe's I've tried. There was no banana taste which I enjoy and was expecting. There was some pepper flavor but there is a sourness throughout which was unenjoyable. I purchased an entire case of this and am quite dissappointed. I thought I purchased a bad case in Lancaster, PA but I then purchased a single from a six pack shop in York and got a similar sour taste. If this beer can't travel across the state there is something wrong.

Mouthfeel was excellent with the perfect amount of carbonation for the style.

This beer would be very drinkable if it wasn't for the sour taste. With the sourness however I would say this is average. I'm not sure if this beer tastes better on draft but from a bottle I've had better.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

A- Cloudy, and a nice rich gold color

S-Bananas, Clove,( thats all I could get, recovering from a cloged nose)

T- Bananas, pears, a good sweetness, and a nice clove flavor to smack you're tougne at the end

M- Smooth, silky, and rich

D- very good, def. drink a 12 pack of this

4.44/5  rDev +14.1%

On tab at the brewery.
Classic cloudy straw in color with a thick persistent head. Excellent aromoa banana forward with nice clove. No sulfur aroma.
Low bitterness barely noticeable behind the hints of citrus. Yeast flavors predominate but the breadiness lingers on the tongue fading to clove.
Medium bodied but with surprising drinkability.

Can't wait to try their weizenbock in the works!

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

Once again I can not praise the brewers at Penn enough. This beer is the height of their mastery of brewing. If any of you have homebrewed a hefeweizen before then you must certainly know how difficult it is to master the balance and subtle flavor of this beer. There is also lots of patience in conditioning involved. These guys do it in the most traditional of ways just like in bavaria. With that said, if you've never tried this beer and are a fan of german wheat...it is an absolute must.

A-Cloudy straw color with a tinge of orange. Typical hefe look with a nice frothy head.

S- This is where it gets good, big clove and banana esters right away...but not overpowering. The balance between the two is just right for the style.

T- Great balance of malty and fruity character with just enough of an acidic zest to quench your thirst and keep you wanting for another gulp...not sip! haha

M- Light body but just enough so that its not too thin and super drinkable. The zesty quality makes it very refreshing on a warm evening.

Overall: If you are a fan of the german style beers, there is nobody in america that does it better than Penn Brewing, in my opinion, and this beer is on the top of their list if you had only one to choose.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

An absolute treat from beginning to end. I was at the pub monday night and the first one was so good I had to have three. Poured as well as any hefeweizen could be poured. Thick , white head lasted throughout. Heavy on the clove in both aroma and flavor, which is exactly what I prefer. Not very often that I latch onto a beer like I did with this. Great finish with a nicely balanced character all around.

Overall, I'm very impressed by my fellow Pennsylvania brewers and I place Pennyslvania Brewing Company among my favorites. Leading the pack of fine beers that I've tasted so far from Pennsylvania Brewing Company is their Penn Weizen. This is a classic hefeweizen true to style and tradition sporting everything you expect from a finely crafted hefe. I found this glass of Penn Weizen, and subsequent glasses, difficult to put down because after each swallow, I was too impatient to wait for the next taste.

Cloudy as it should be and the yeast characters are just in there injecting the fruity esters and tangy bite to support the crisp, refreshing maltiness. Lovely, sweet complexity throughout the glass.

I've had this beer both on tap and poured from a bottle and the tap experience is noticeably better. However, I'm a fan of this beer regardless of the packaging.

2.16/5  rDev -44.5%

Bought this at Vintage Cellar expecting a decent beer, but I was unimpressed, I'm normally a fan of hefes.

A - yellow-orange, pours with very little head, no lacing

S - not strong, small hint of orange, not great overall

T -tasted more of clove and orange than clove and banana, the clove seemed heavy, poor aftertaste

M - light body, heavy carb

D -wouldn't recommend, won't try again

firstprev| 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next → last