Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Penn Dark | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
pennbrew.com

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Munich and various roasted malts give it a very malty, rich flavor with a hint of burnt flavor. 100% imported Hallertau hops, moderate bitterness and aroma.

Added by SheepNutz on 08-27-2001

Pint draught.

Appearance - Light tan head that last for the first 5 minutes. Lacing throughout every taste. Dark mahogany, almost black with dark purplish-red hues.

Smell - Clean. no off scent. Slight nutty and toasty smells.

Taste - Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Light like a lager. Not over carbed but well-balanced carbinated.

overall - Superb for a dunkle. Sweet nose with some nutty/chocolaty tones. Malty with some hop bitterness for balance. Very drinkable and not heavy.

4.88/5  rDev +26.4%

yes, I would agree more with Swillinbrew than dungeldauf. I had some of this last night and it was my first experience with munich dunkels and an experience that I enjoyed very much. Because of my lack of knowledge on dunkels I cannot describe or compare and contrast this beer, however I will note the soft, silky, cream like mouthfeel and its delicious dark, deep red appearance.

Brewed 10 minutes away and for 24 a case, along with their other beers, I feel very content with purchasing more.

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

I decided to buy a few beers that I already had, but I seen this Penn Dark and decided to give it a try. I was pretty blown away by the superb taste of this beer.

Poured the 12oz bottle into a glass:

A- A nice dark brown color with a tint of amber. Has a chocolaty type look to it. Decent head, with a light lacing that stays for a while

S- Hints of dark wheat bread, slight chocolate aroma, kind of a tobacco smell with a hint of musty-yeasty aroma as well

T- Great, great taste. Sort of a salt cured beefy taste with a few hints of chocolate; sharp yet slightly bitter taste that is very smooth. I would compare the taste to new castle brown mixed with Sierra Nevada Porter.

M- Very pleasant on the palate; Smooth as hell, not very tangy which is a plus in my mind. Kind of a bubbly feel to it, but also pretty sturdy

D- Super drinkable. I think I could drink a full 6 pack of this because of it's smoothness. For some reason, it fells like I am drinking a light meal- very fulfilling.

Overall, an excellent beer. I felt like I stumbled upon gold with this one, and I would definitely buy this one again and again. I think I found a new favorite :)

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I must say that in the past, I have boughten a whole case of this stuff and believe me that case was worth it. Each one of those beers were fully enjoyed by all, so now it's time to return to this old favorite and break it down. Appears a very dark nearly opaque with hints of ruby piercing through around the edges when held up to the light. Paired with a tan moccha head, which is binding to the rim of the forming even annular rings of lace as the glass empties. The aroma has some semi-faint fruit tones wrapped in a mild milk chocolate bringing creamy malt to the forefront. Also some of the darker roasted malts are also doing their part allowing a toasted nut scent to dance in the air. The taste leaves me with that creamy milk chocolate sweetness around my lips, along with the trickled chocolate and mild coffee tones comes a crisp smooth lager-like characteristic making this one amazingly smooth. The mouthfeel is full of those creamy sensations down the palate of this fairly heavy bodied beer. Drinkability I would love to find this on tap just to see if it gets any frothier than it already is, and I would like to experiment with mixing this with some Lindemann's Framboise.

4.67/5  rDev +21%

tried this bottled beverage not expecting much...i was pleasantly surprised. a nice colored drink with a medium head. the smell is outstanding, a roasted dark chocolate smell that is very appealing. the taste was amazing like drinking roasted almonds dipped in dark chocolate. a nice feeling on the tongue and lips. similar to Bass but with much more flavor. I was definately be drinking this treat again.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

12oz bottle into nonic.

Deep brown hue, the same as a brown ale, but maybe not quite as dark as a Schwarzbier.

Nutty roastiness with a light creaminess that's always characteristic of the style. A bit of butterscotch in the background.

Very very smooth malts, which give a good amount of creaminess and roastiness along with a strong nutty flavor. Full bodied.

Quite the enjoyable Dunkel Lager. Smooth, creamy, roasty. Everything that needs to be there is there. Good job by the PBC.

4.6/5  rDev +19.2%

At first, this brew reminded me very much of Yuengling's Lager, but as I tasted it it differentiated itself quite nicely. Nice malt flavors up front with a smooth buttery finish (without the bite the Yuengling has). A great drinking brew that I will have to try to find locally.

4.59/5  rDev +18.9%

Beer is a clear dark ruby red. Thin light brown head leaves some sparse lace. Nice nose of toaste malt, burnt caramel, toffee and licorice. Really nice. The taste follows through in a big way. Nice caramel and burnt malt tones. Bitter roasted notes. Great flavor. One of the best tasting dunkels I've had the pleasure of consuming. Mouthfeel is appropriately smooth, creamy, silky. Body is about medium. Very good beer.

I'm sold on Penn. Nice brewery there.

Thanks for the Penn samples marc77.

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.54/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.52/5  rDev +17.1%

(Freshness dated February) — Appearance: Pours a rich chestnut color with amber hues; the head is creamy and tan in color, holds decent then fades to a nice thin layer of creamy foam. On the nose the aroma of roasted malts, dark toasted bread, and hints of caramel and orange peels. On the palate the flavors consisted of dark toasted bread, graininess, mellow hop bitterness, sweet caramel, bready…the mouthfeel is fairly smooth. What a great brew!

Penn Dark from Pennsylvania Brewing Company