Penn Dark | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
pennbrew.com

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Munich and various roasted malts give it a very malty, rich flavor with a hint of burnt flavor. 100% imported Hallertau hops, moderate bitterness and aroma.

Added by SheepNutz on 08-27-2001

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.56/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Light brown in color with very little head. No lacing.

Smell - Some malt and caramel

Taste - Toasted malt and a little hops.

Mouthfeel - Very light in the mouth with very little bite. I would even say it is a little watery.

Drinkability - I didn't enjoy this beer very much. It is something you could drink if you are in to lighter beers.

2.57/5  rDev -33.4%

Poured into an A-B flute on 2/3/12

Pretty dark beer; it's a medium shade of ruby and brown with some rusty highlights. One and a half finger head drops quickly to a much thinner but even layer. Some lace, but not much.

Aromas of ground dark grains, bitter cocoa with a hint of roast and dried bread. Overtones of raisin sweetness and reduced dark fruit sugars. A fine layer of yeast lingers underneath. The raisin and fruit translate to the palate but whereas it was sweet in the nose it takes more of a tangy bent, clashing with nippy roasted grain notes. The finish has a musty earthiness and a wash of stale, bitter coffee. Thin body with over-reaching carbonation. The finish also has an unpleasant coating feel.

Penn Dark just isn't doing it for me. Maybe a sub-par bottle? Old bottle? I dunno, but I have a hard time believing this is as the beer was intended. I'll pass.

2.61/5  rDev -32.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

2.62/5  rDev -32.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer poured a deep, dark brown with a nice ample just off white head that stayed atop the beer for a long while. That is where the good story ends. I might have gotten a bad bottle, but the aroma is very mild and barely any malt. The taste is bland and in no way could I call this complex. There are no chocolate flavors. The mouthfeel is almost American Lager light. I will be trying the other two bottles I have of this beer sometime and may reevaluate this beer. BUT this bottle REALLY SUCKS.

2.67/5  rDev -30.8%

I didn't know what to expect going into this one. The bottle only revealed that this was a dark lager. There are various styles and variations within there but I have to say that I enjoyed the mystery.

The appearance of the beer was a pleasant dark brown. I expected a lager that was more amber in color and so this was a pleasant surprise. What I was taken aback by was the lack of foamy head and, as I worked my way through this one, a thin layer of light brown lacing never formed. When I bought the beer, it was stored at room temperature and there's no born-on date so perhaps this has something to do with it.

It smelled like fresh toast and coffee. Chocolate asserted itself a little as it warmed up. I knew this was a sign of roasted malts. I'm not a huge Stout fan but this smell coming from a lager intrigued me. Couldn't pick up on too many hops in the aroma. If they're there, my nose isn't discerning enough to find them.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I wasn't so impressed with the complexity of the taste. I kept hoping for something other than this brew's rich smokey top layer to come at me in the aftertaste. Save for the slightest of hoppy bitterness to balance it out, it never did. Not that there's anything wrong with the toasted malts and coffee that dominate the palate. The beer favorably reminded me of a porter. Funny thing though: maybe it's because this is actually a lager but despite the fullness of the taste, the texture of the beer remains light to medium at most. Impressive that so much taste could come out of a lager but because it was so light, the overall experience felt incomplete. If I'm in the mood for this kind of beer, I'd sooner go for a strong porter because it's heavier and has a more complex flavor profile.

Not sure if I would go out of my way to purchase this one again. I drank the Penn Weizen not too long ago and I really enjoyed that so I'm pretty eager to see what else this brewer has to offer. I could see how a lot of people would really like this though. It packs a flavorful punch without being too heavy. Maybe it just wasn't my cup of tea.

2.73/5  rDev -29.3%

Dark ruby/amber, really fine carbonation fills out a tan head that staying power is decent enough.

Decent dunkel lager, robust enough to make it worthwhile yet subtle and easy to drink. I'd have to say its a bit thin and a watered type hop presence. Some roasted qualities and some coffee notes faintly in the backdrop. Zippy finely tuned carbonation swirls around every taste bud. Doesn't finish very clean.

The price was fair and this is a decent offering, it just misses by my standards. A bit thin and some odd twists and turns in the middle are a rough mix.

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

Pours a blackish brown with a slight head. Nose is roasty and malty. Flavor is slightly sweet and not as roasted or nutty as the color and nose might suggest. Actually this had a very light body but coinciding with that was not much a flavor punch. Actually, this be could be a session beer, but I am going to stick with just the one. Thanks to JohnTravolta21 for the bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.84/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a dark mahogany brown, with a very small and short-lived head, no lacing, nice colour though, so I bumped it up a notch, good clarity in this lager, but overall, not very appetizing.

S: Huge caramel malt notes, with a bit of acid and coffee.

T: Get a large acidic twang on first hit, then the malt comes, tasty, but the acidity kind of overwhelms the other flavours, off-putting.

M: Light, kind of thin, acidic, and sour.

D: I mean this beer is OK, but not something I'd buy again, not a very good example of the Munich Dunkel style out there, when Ayinger's roaming around.

2.89/5  rDev -25.1%

Malty beer with a little bitterness,not anything great,makes a nice session beer,equally good in the winter as in the summer,slight smokey flavor with a roasted malt
I thought it would be a little more robust though! for me it was almost but not quite there. This beer seems to have a bit of an identity crisis ,decent drinking beer have had it many times!

2.94/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Pours a dark brown with amber hues. A finger of head slowly recedes wo a thin ring.

S: Lots of dark fruits with a hint of caramel. Slight vinegar smell that I am used to getting with sweeter lagers.

T: The slight vinegar aroma I got is much stronger in the flavor. There is also a metallic flavor that I find distracting. Behind all of this, I get prunes and breadiness that is quite pleasant.

M: Medium to thin bodied with good carbonation.

O: There are some off flavors that I find distracting. Behind all of this, there is a good balance between dark fruits and breadiness.

Pours a very dark amber color with a large fluffy off-white head that disappears very quickly.

The scent is of roasted malt, chocolate, and some notes of earthy hops.

The taste is of roasted malt, chocolate, mildly bitter hops, it's an odd taste as someone previously noted it does taste like blood.

Medium body, very smooth and oddly flat, almost not carbonation.

This was sort of an odd beer, maybe I got a bad one, but it seemed like a lot of things were off. I will have to try this again sometime.

Penn Dark from Pennsylvania Brewing Company