Penn Pilsner | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Pennsylvania Brewing Company
Pennsylvania, United States
pennbrew.com

Style: Vienna Lager

Our flagship brand! An amber Vienna-style lager beer that is smooth, mellow and full bodied, with delicate hop aroma. Uses two-row barley malt and caramel-roasted malt. Based on founder Tom Pastorius' favorite German bier.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001

The perfect beer for me, if I could choose only one beer to drink the rest of my life, this is it.

Favorite beer. Ever. Awesome taste.

4.75/5  rDev +31.6%

4.73/5  rDev +31%

Although this is titled a pilsner it is fact a Vienna Lager. It's a traditional German recipe that's dead on for the style according to the homebrewing bible- Brewing the Classic Styles. extremely smooth and slightly sweet with a dry finish. Low carbonation makes them easy to drink and adds smoothness.I love this beer.

The original owner recently came out of retirement and bought the brewery back. He was upset that his labor of passion was run into the ground and eventually closed and contracted the brewing out of the area. Well Penn Brewery is back and is now brewing on site again and it shows. This is the Penn Brew we loved not that other stuff that just had their name on it. This is what Pennsylvania German craft beer is all about my friends. Thanks to Tom Pastorius for bringing traditonal German craft beer back to Pittsburgh. Try it. It's a great lager. Cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +27.4%

Just tried this last weekend and I like it. Pours a nice medium yellow with touch of Grain in the smell,kind of toasty grain. Pours with about 3/4 inch head light lacing in the glass. Mouth feel is very nice as soon as I had one I ended up having 3. A very flavorful drinkable Pilsner in the old style. I have to say for the price not cheap, but they have hit a home run on this one I will go back for more in the very near future. This is one very Drinkable Beer!

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured out of a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A-Very clear, yellowish brown beer. Nice beaten egg white head.

S--sweet malt, apple like smell.

T--Pumpernickel like malt flavor that seems to go back and forth with the hop bitterness. Crisp but not too dry. Becomes more bread like as it warms.

M--medium body. Starts thick and then thins out as it goes down.

D--Definately drinkable. A nice departure from the current winter beers out now (writing in January and its 8 degrees F). Would like to try this in the summer.

Overall a great beer with a lot of flavor for this style.

4.5/5  rDev +24.7%

12 oz bottle with no freshness date; purchased at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH. Served in pilsner glass - poured a deep, clear golden color with a sustained, white head.
Spicy, perfumy hop aroma.
Tasted very clean, malty and bready with just the right amount of noble hops to balance the flavor; dispite the dominant malt flavor, the hops never allow beer to become cloying.
Medium body mouthfeel - nothing is overwhelming on the palatte.
This is an extremely drinkable, light version of a vienna lager which leads me to question the name, "Penn Pilsner." Even the brewery website describes the beer as a "vienna lager." In any event, I quality lager I highly recommend; despite the lightness of the beer, the taste is complex and remains appealing.

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

BOM May 2009
Of the May BOM brews this was my favorite. Poured into a pilsner glass this brew is a golden wheat color with a clean white head that left no lacing but settled in a nice cap. The aroma is very doughy with some sweet floral notes. The taste is crisp and had a bread taste but there was a faint floral balance and a mild bitter bite in the finish. This was moderate in body and a little higher in carbonation. All around solid brew. The taste was so fresh, crisp, and refreshing. I wish I had more to share (but the cost for an extra 12 pack is just too much). I guess I will need to keep my eyes open if in Pennsylvania.

4.47/5  rDev +23.8%

I have had Penn Pilsner in bottles many times but when I bought a keg, I was stunned by the freshness and much hoppier flavor. This adds to the overall score. If you can get it on tap...do it!

Amber color is strange to true pilsner style. I always thought pilsners were meant to be straw in color. However, with the added hop and crisp taste, I guess it fits the style other than color.

A very dinkable beer (especially on tap) and I had the pleasure of getting very fresh in Pittsburgh. The head retention is very good with nice streams of carbonation going up the sides. not as nice as the true Czech Pilsner's, but definately like the German Pils. This is a German style up and down. But I don't remember too many amber pils in Germany. I'll be sure to look harder next time I am in Frankfurt.

All-in-all a very nice beer.

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%

An amber Vienna-style lager beer that is smooth, mellow and full bodied, with delicate hop aroma. A session beer head and shoulders above most in this style. I have this beer on tap in my man cave, it is easy drinking, great tasting and priced perfectly. A must try for someone who wants to get into drinking craft brews.

4.45/5  rDev +23.3%

4.42/5  rDev +22.4%

Served as a 12 oz. bottle. The color was a golden brown, with good head. The smell was malty, with a bit of hops to it.. The taste was also very malty, but with an excellent hop backing as well. The mouthfeel was smooth, with great carbonation. Drinkability-wise, this is an excellent beer to session on.

This was probably the first micro I ever had in my life, and err, some years later, it's still one that I enjoy quite a bit. It's a shame this isn't a nationally distributed beer..........but hey.......more for us in the Burgh!

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reddish Gold, white stiff head, blotches of lace.Classic Pils aroma of malt and spicy Noble Hops. Dry, spicy, clean taste. Soft but firm mouthfeel. This is a very satisfying, well made and enjoyable beer.

4.4/5  rDev +21.9%

12oz bottle into Great Lakes pint glass.

Very nice golden, sun at dusk color. Nice white foam.

Great beery, malty aroma. Very clean.

Amazing balance of hops, malts. Honey like sweetness, but not over the top.

Very smooth and still. Just the right amount of carbonation. Refreshing finish with the perfect amount of dryness.

Awesome beer that goes well with anything.

This beer reinforces the fact that some of America's best beer comes from the beautiful state of Pennsylvania. A total winner from Steel City. Drink it.

4.36/5  rDev +20.8%

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

All Penn beers taste best when fresh and on tap this is a very good beer. The consistency once was a problem but with more in house brewing this beer seems to taste good every pour. Not really a pilsner, not really a Vienna, but a very good lager. A little bit sweet but very easy to drink more than one. Highly recommended when in Pittsburgh.

4.32/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

For a 4% beer, what a total package! Session beer king right here.

Penn Pilsner from Pennsylvania Brewing Company