Chocolate Meltdown | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Style: American Stout

Added by Stinkypuss on 02-14-2011

3.8

2.28/5  rDev -40%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Deleted my first review as I wanted to give this a 2nd chance. Nitro Tap at Fat Heads Pgh

A: Pours a thick dark brown almost black color with a thick two plus finger foam head. Lots of lacing all down the sides.

S: A nice amount of milk chocolate and vanilla.

T: This tastes like a thick chocolate milk or warm milkshake. Lots of chocolate syrup taste, almost too sweet. No roasted malt flavor to counteract the sweetness. It really is like drinking the syrup from a Hershey syrup bottle.

M: Slightly sweet, but quite thin and watery.

D: Not a beer I would seek out as it is too sugary sweet. If there were some roasted malt that would balance out the sweetness, I probably would enjoy this a little more.

As somebody said above, why order a beer called "Chocolate Meltdown" if you don't want chocolate? I do like chocolate in my beer. I like a chocolate milk too, but I don't like drinking the syrup out of the bottle, which is why I did not like this brew because that is what it tasted like. Should I know it is going to taste like chocolate syrup because the beer is named Chocolate Meltdown? Seriously? Get over it.

2.41/5  rDev -36.6%

On tap at Bocktown. My wife ordered this on Valentine's Day.

Served in a standard pint glass...arrived at the table with a small layer of beige foam sitting on top of the dark brown/black body. The lighting in this place is rather dim, but the body looks solid. The head quickly dissipated, leaving behind zero lace.

The nose is OK...some roasted malts, cocoa powder and some sort of plastic...meh

Ugh...this is taking a bad turn. A mess of odd flavors mixed with a horrible, fake chocolate syrup. By my 3rd sip, I cannot taste anything beyond the syrup...again...ugh. A shot of Murphy's, two shots of a YooHoo, a few squeezes of generic chocolate syrup and water.

Man...the mouth feel is even worse...paper thin and watery. Nothing about this screams stout.

I told my wife I would split this with her...and I could not hold up my end of the bargain....neither could she. I really hate to bash anything local, but wow...this is a mess.

2.5/5  rDev -34.2%

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

A - This beer looks fantastic, with a deep, dark brown color. It had a nice, thick, tan head when poured in to a glass. As a Pittsburgher, the bottle label also appealed to me, since it features the Penn Brewery itself.

S - It has a very strong smell of chocolate, with a hint of roasted malt and maybe coffee.

T - The taste up front is chocolate, then the malt comes through. The after-taste is a little strange...it reminds me a lot of Penn Gold. It doesn't seem to fit at all with this beer. The alcohol taste is surprising, considering the relatively low ABV.

M - I was pretty disappointed with the thin mouthfeel. I like a nice thick stout, and this was not it.

O - An ok beer. Drinkable, but not something I'd seek out again.

2.84/5  rDev -25.3%

2.96/5  rDev -22.1%

2.97/5  rDev -21.8%

Pours almost black with caramel hues. Not much head or lace.

Smells of mocha. Roasted malts pull out a rich black coffee aroma married with wet cocoa. Some earthy hops. No lactic sweetness, all grain. Timid in the nose.

Tangy chocolate flavor. Wafer-y malts gives it a chalky/dusty character. The coffee tastes instant. Still a little worty with some leftover grain sugars. Medicinal hop supplement gives this a wacky aftertaste. Something between metallic and solvent-y. The immediate mild bitter turns acrid. Low carb is tough to get past. Decent thickness, however. Not a terrible drink.

This one doesn't stand out for me. Strange flavors that seem unintended have reared their ugly heads. Will try to remember to select something else. (Aptly named, however).

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours jet black with a light tan head. In the aroma, chocolate, kinda like cocoa mix. In the taste, light roastiness and it tastes like Swiss Miss was dumped in here. A smooth and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry roast and hint of chocolate in the aftertaste. Thin body, a bit sweet, and I can drink a whole pint.

3.13/5  rDev -17.6%

tap

Pours jet black with little to no head.

Smells of rich milk chocolate.

Tastes like hershey chocolate syrup with only hints of grain and malt.

Mouth is water thin. No real carbonation.

A so-so stout that disappoints mostly in the lack of thickness. Much sweeter than most stouts, even in the chocolate variety. Easier to take with food than as a stand-alone. It's not bad, but there are many better chocolate stouts out there.

3.14/5  rDev -17.4%

A - This looks like the beer of your dreams. Picture yourself on St. Patrick's Day is the idealized Irish bar (but free of excesively authentic Irish food) exchanging Shamrock beads with fair-haired buxom lasses for... well, you know what beads are exchanged for... and the promise of no hangover to come. THIS looks EXACTLY like the beer you would have in hand.

I think I looked at the ink-black body and 2"-thick head for 5 minutes before tasting.

S - Not blown away (euphemism for put-off). This reminds me a lot of the Rogue Chocolate Stout I had the evening before. I've recently enjoyed O'Hara's and Love Stout. Founder's Breakfast Stout and Brooklyn Chocolate Stout are also on the register.... kinda sucks to have gotten something more reminicent of Coco Puffs.

T - More Coco Puffs! Got Day-um!! Nothing like going to a craft brewery and getting punched in the face by Artifical Artie.

M - Perfect. Too bad any enjoyment of this victual is interefed with by the taste.

O - Not as offensive as Rogue's Chocolate Stout, but still too bad for me to recommend. I know they could very easily do far, far better. Weird thing is, I bet this one REALLY pays the bills :(

3.25/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle at 50 degrees into snifter
Aroma of milk chocolate
Head small (2 cm, aggressive pour), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to no ring, no layer
Lacing none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor begins and ends with a cloying milk chocolate sweetness; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, creamy, very soft carbonation

Appearance 2.75, Aroma 3.5, Flavor 3, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -13.9%

Penn Brewery's Chocolate Meltdown. Every time I run into a Penn beer that isn't a traditional German style I am still a bit perplexed, but I am sure that feeling will wear off. What will not wear off is that every time I try one of these American things I wish that the tap were replaced with one of Penn's German beers. There was a time only a few years ago when Penn brewed the best German beer in the country. Even now their stuff is pretty good, and that is really what I like best about the brewery.

The body is dark brown and opaque at its core. The light brown head is solid looking, but the retention is OK at best and there is no lacing at all.

The aroma has a lot of chocolate to it. It is an aroma more like chocolate syrup than the baker's chocolate I would expect to find in most beers. A bit of toffee-like sweetness is in there also.

The flavor leads off with the undertone flavor of sweet malts, with caramel and toffee both making an appearance. Next comes the focus of the beer, which is a massively sweet, chocolate syrup flavor. There is also a bit of powdered cocoa taste in there, but syrup is the best adjective. The finish dries out a bit and has just a bit of hop bitterness to it. One thing that is a little off in this one is the faint taste of lemon and a hint of sourness. It is extremely faint, and I honestly did not even notice it until I had made good progress on my pint. I am sure this is not intended, but I am not sure whether the problem is with the bar or the brewery. The bar is a reputable place that I have always know to pour through clean lines, but who knows?

Mouthfeel is a little bit under carbonated, but only by a hair. Good body for a stout.

Honestly, the closest thing I can compare this beer with is Southern Tier Choklat. The flavor profile is very similar. Choklat is certainly better, but with that said my review of Choklat is overly generous. The slight hint of sourness wasn't the normal, dirty tap-lines flavor, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Either way it detracts from, but does not ruin the beer.

3.32/5  rDev -12.6%

I had this on nitro-tap at Fatheads in Pittsburgh. Poured into an imperial pint.

Appearance: Pours a murky brown with two fingers of creamy tan head that fades and leaves a layer.

Smell: Sweet cocoa with some mild roast. There is also a hint of caramel.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell. Dark chocolate and cocoa with some bitter roast. A bit watery.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth mild carbonation. The finish is dry.

Overall: This beer was just alright. I would have liked a more full flavor.

3.45/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Chocolate Meltdown from Pennsylvania Brewing Company