Nut Roll Ale | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

4.22/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now, as much as I would like to give the previous reviewer credit for providing this to me, my local in-person trader, tone77 was not a part of the process. Instead, it came from my neighbor's singles cooler and once more, I had to wait for the picture to be approved before popping the cap. Out of season?!? Well, which season is it now? It sure as s**t does not feel like Spring!

From the bottle: "Winter Ale"; "Nut Brown Ale Malt Beverage with Natural Flavors Added"; "Contains No Nuts".

No nuts?!? What?!? I feel like a nut right about now! I will never forget the spirited debate in class many years ago over crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter. Finally, one student blurted out, "For me, it's gotta be crunchy! I love the feel of nuts in my mouth!" I had to leave the room as educators are NOT supposed to laugh at anything students say. The room erupted at that point.

My pour resulted in a finger of thick, light-brown head with good retention. Color was a deep-brown with seemingly good clarity given the low level of light penetration that I was able to generate. I REALLY need an SRM chart if anyone has an extra! Nose was characteristically sugary sweet as befits the style, but with a slight grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium but the sweetness was cut with a cinnamon spiciness. Would they have spiced this beer for the holidays? If so, high kudos! Loads of sticky lacing began to appear as I drank through it. Finish was slightly spicy with a definite cinnamon stick flavor. How brilliant is that? I have always liked their St. Nicklaus Bock in the Winter, but this would be great with the Old Lady by the fire.

4.2/5  rDev +17.3%

4.17/5  rDev +16.5%

4.13/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.1/5  rDev +14.5%

4.06/5  rDev +13.4%

4.04/5  rDev +12.8%

4.03/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.02/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Comes out of the tap a deep sable just a whisker above coal black with a decent pale tan head. Strong, malty aroma has a firm overtone of horehound and notes of clove and cinnamon. Flavor has malty, nutty, caramel and horehound notes with a subtle undertone like chocolate milk. Sweetness is not too strong, though. Texture is about average, typical body but good fizz. Roll up to this one.

Nut Roll Ale from Pennsylvania Brewing Company