Nut Roll Ale | Pennsylvania Brewing Company

Added by hustlesworth on 11-21-2011

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I don't know why everyone treats this beer so unfavorably. I tried basically every winter beer this year (2013-14) and this was one of my favorites. Call me biased because it's from my hometown but this can hold its ground next to the more aggressive beers of the season. It's got the subtle spices that you'd want in a winter beer but it doesn't brag. The relatively low alcohol content doesn't make it much of a sipper but Pittsburgh winters have the mildness to match. Overall, I'm glad I found this in a variety pack but I would probably not buy a whole case of it.

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served on tap in a pint glass

Appearance – The beer is served a deep brown color with a one finger of tan colored head. The head fades relatively quickly leaving only a trace level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is heavies of a big sweet vanilla and chocolate smell. Mixed with these are some roasted malt aromas with a good deal of nutty aromas mixed within. Overall it has a delicious sweet chocolate bar smell overall

Taste – The taste begins with a moderately strong roasted malt flavor with a sweetness of caramel and a light vanilla mixed in. As the flavor advances, some chocolate begins coming to the tongue. It starts out of a sweeter milk chocolate flavor with it transitioning to a more semi-sweet flavor later on. A nutty flavor starts developing more in the middle of the taste, starting out of a lightly roasted almond flavor and becoming slightly more bitter and potent as the flavor moves to the end. With the advent of the chocolate and the nut that comes into the taste and takes it to its end, one is left with a still rather sweet, but nicely balanced chocolate and nutty flavor to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel –The body of the beer is average in terms of thickness and creaminess with a carbonation level that is average as well. A little thicker of a body and lower carbonation level may have suited the brew slightly better, but overall it was rather decent.

Overall – A pretty easy drinking nut-brown ale with a good deal of a chocolate presence. Rather tasty overall.

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

Normally I at least like stuff from Penn Brewery. Sometimes I love it - St. Nikalous Bock and Penn Gold, for example. Nut Roll Ale was an unpleasant surprise.

A - Nice brown color but almost no head from a rough pour. What little foam there was disappeared quickly.

S - Vanilla, sweet fruit, and a bit of dark malts. Didn't get any of the "nutty aroma" advertised on the bottle.

T - Tastes like it smells, but in a bad way. Nowhere near enough hops to balance the sweetness. The vanilla, even though I don't think it's artificially flavored, it tastes kinda artificial with a chemically/medicinal note on the finish that is just off.

M - Body is decent but the carbonation was prickly in a soda pop kinda way.

O - With so many great winter and holiday beers out there, this one is absolutely not worth trying. Avoid it.

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Now, as much as I would like to give the previous reviewer credit for providing this to me, my local in-person trader, tone77 was not a part of the process. Instead, it came from my neighbor's singles cooler and once more, I had to wait for the picture to be approved before popping the cap. Out of season?!? Well, which season is it now? It sure as s**t does not feel like Spring!

From the bottle: "Winter Ale"; "Nut Brown Ale Malt Beverage with Natural Flavors Added"; "Contains No Nuts".

No nuts?!? What?!? I feel like a nut right about now! I will never forget the spirited debate in class many years ago over crunchy vs. smooth peanut butter. Finally, one student blurted out, "For me, it's gotta be crunchy! I love the feel of nuts in my mouth!" I had to leave the room as educators are NOT supposed to laugh at anything students say. The room erupted at that point.

My pour resulted in a finger of thick, light-brown head with good retention. Color was a deep-brown with seemingly good clarity given the low level of light penetration that I was able to generate. I REALLY need an SRM chart if anyone has an extra! Nose was characteristically sugary sweet as befits the style, but with a slight grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium but the sweetness was cut with a cinnamon spiciness. Would they have spiced this beer for the holidays? If so, high kudos! Loads of sticky lacing began to appear as I drank through it. Finish was slightly spicy with a definite cinnamon stick flavor. How brilliant is that? I have always liked their St. Nicklaus Bock in the Winter, but this would be great with the Old Lady by the fire.

3.47/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some spices. Taste is spices, mainly cinnamon, some nuttiness, not bad, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall this is a decent and unique beer.

Nut Roll Ale from Pennsylvania Brewing Company