Pig's Ear Brown Ale | Woodstock Inn Brewery

Woodstock Inn Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
woodstockinnbrewery.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Medium bodied with a balance of roasted and crystal malts creating a hearty nutty flavor. Medium bitterness with a slightly sweet finish.

Added by UnionMade on 09-02-2002

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%

The only offering from this brewery at my local beer store is this one so I gave it a try. A pretty good brown ale overall. Pours a very dark brown, deeper color than most other brown ales. Has a nice body and mouthfeel to it but does have an odd aftertaste to it that is different compared to other brown ales. It isn't bad, it's just different is all. Nothing special but a solid beer all around.

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Tap at texas bbq
Light fizzy head over nice clear dark toasty brown color.

Nose has a clear ale aroma, malty, toasty brown malts, light caramel, hint of brown sugar and molasses and even dusting of maple, light grassy earthy hops.

Taste comes with nice malts again, clean ale flavor, toasty brown malts, fairly nutty, light brown sugar, hints of molasses and caramel, little syrupy. Then hops, a decent but fairly light bitterness with slight earthy and a bit herbal hop with a light grassy taste, somewhat like a UK style hop, that kicks in with a nice bitter bite midway thorough. Finish is slightly sticky but fairly dry, bit of lingering bitterness, some light toasty brown malts and caramel lingering.

Mouth is med bodied, decent carb.

Overall its a nice beer, all around style, nice malts, decent hops with a nice bitter kick, very drinkable. Perfect beer for almost any weather, and always a good beer to grab a pint of at a bar.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a reddish brown color, with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of honey, caramel, vanilla, nuts and maple with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and very sweet with flavors of vanilla, maple, honey, nuts and caramel. There's a mild hops presence that provides a little balance. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easy, not too filling, mild kick, good representation of style, it's a decent beer but some might find it a little too sweet. Personally, it wouldn't be my first choice if I were looking for this type of beer.

2.91/5  rDev -18.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear, red-brown body with a thin, bubbly, beige head.

Smell: I know we're focusing on the ear, but where's the nose? Only the vaguest hint of nuts. I'll assume this brown is saving its strength for the flavor. Bring it on!

Taste: A taste of chocolate and nuts with a low malty sweetness. Earthy, spicy hops, though only a touch of bitterness. Dry, nutty finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not recommend. A bit under par for a brown.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Ruby-dark brown color and clear. Superior head: at least three fingers thick.

This is a very "clean" smelling beer. The aroma is relatively neutral, but appealing.

This brown ale features more hop than typical, like a darkened pale ale--not that I'm complaining. In fact, I believe this is better than most brown ales I've tried. The malt remains present with chocolate and nutty notes. A very dry beer, with a relatively thin body and an above average carbonation.

I like interesting beers; this is one. Whenever I find the experience difficult to describe, I find myself drawn to have the beer again. Hmmmm.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

My local sharer (we don't trade so much as swap or share our extras), Sam Knocken, provided this to me from his Beer of the Month Club take.

Can you make a brown ale from a pig's ear? I have heard that a silk purse is out of the question, but perhaps anything is possible.

My pour got me a finger of fizzy, light-brown head with moderate retention. Color was a deep brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose was quite malty, reminiscent of something that eluded me, but perhaps it will come. Did I sense a slight buttery quality? I usually have a blind spot when it comes to diacetyl, so I may be mistaken. Plus, I really do not mind such a flavor. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was much more chocolaty than I had experienced on the nose. It had a powdery taste, like Hershey's Cocoa Powder right out of the tin and into the mouth. Do they even make that any more? I knew precisely where it was stored in my maternal grandmother's house and used to love it straight as a child. I sprinkled it on peanut butter to make a phenomenal sandwich. That's what the nose reminded me of - Ovaltine! Great Gar, but this beer really takes me back. I saw where Newcastle Brown is the standard bearer for the style, but this is drier than that. The finish was semi-sweet with the yeast having converted most of the fermentable sugar to alcohol. I was very impressed by this little piggy.

3.81/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark clear reddish brown color with a huge bubbly tan head that slowly recedes before leaving some spotty lace on the way down. Smells of caramel and brown sugar with a hint of tart fruit, earth, roast and butter. The flavor is heavy on the caramel and butterscotch with an earthy hop bite that provides some balance. Medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a creamy bubbly mouthfeel. So far this is the only brew I've had where I feel the diacytyl actually adds something to the beer. This is probably my favorite beer from Woodstock, but its still just an average beer.

2.2/5  rDev -38.7%

Appears a ruby brown mahogany tone with a large light cream head leaves specks of uneven lacing not too impressive but the head has decent retention overall looks like a nice brown. Aromatics a bit like cider with tart fruit notes coming through the moderately roasted malt additions that also bring mild chocolate and a woody tree bark barrage mild herbal hop additions noted mild and tame for sure. Flavors really clash the acidity of the tart character overrides the roasted malt and mild sweetness it should offer I’m never big on this style but I think this one’s poorly made. Pretty astringent yet it seems it hasn’t turned it’s just how the flavors came together after production, which is weird. Mouthfeel is medium bodied really coats the palate and it sticks around sadly I might have to go brush my teeth but the carbonation was moderate and flowed well just the lactic character that sticks to your palate ruins it. Drinkability not so much as Borat would say I’m going to stick other beers from this style when reaching for a brown ale pass on Pig’s Ear from New Hampshire.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Good till Jan 2012, off we go!

Very large off white to hinting tan color head nearly four fingers and foamy. Body color is a real nice amber red and clear brown with some moderate rising slow carbonation bubbles.

Bouquet is a nice malt a little hop bitter perhaps also. Not much else fairly pleasing, but not varied.

Taste is good and milky. Milk chocolate palate with almost milk stout and brown toasty malts. Finishes almost like a lactose malt milk stout. A little sour, but nothing too offensive.

Overall quite refreshing for a brown ale, and one I could easily have again some other time.

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle purchased as part of a sixer on the recent Vermont trip. Has "Best enjoyed before" dating notched on the side of the label. Pours a typical brown ale hue, darker mocha head, that stays for a spell then drops to near nothing, just a thin collar over a near still. dull looking brawl. Bready nose, brash chocolaty flavor notes mixed in with a faint jammy note. Eh, not the greatest brown ale out there. On the unrefined side and a wee bit thin mouth feel wise. Will work fine as part of a marinade for chicken or pork, as I've found just about any brown ale will.

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

From the 12 fl.oz. bottle. Sampled on February 28, 2012. The pour is mahogany brown with a conspicuous amount of foamy, long lasting head. The aroma is subtle but it has a nutty malted quality as well as sweet. The body is smooth. The taste is higher on the bitterness than in the aroma with a sharp lingering hop note. This is one of those beers that I drink a lot and I am surprised that it took so long for me to review it.

Pig's Ear Brown Ale from Woodstock Inn Brewery