Pig's Ear Brown Ale | Woodstock Inn Brewery

Woodstock Inn Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
woodstockinnbrewery.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Medium bodied with a balance of roasted and crystal malts creating a hearty nutty flavor. Medium bitterness with a slightly sweet finish.

Added by UnionMade on 09-02-2002

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Brown with red tints. Typical brown ale.

S- Malts, toffee, dare I say honey?

T- This tastes best ice cold! When real cold, it has the malty, toffee taste. Lightly bitter. Finish is slightly on the bitter side, but is a quick finish.

M- Light to medium, more towards the medium side. Heavier than Newcastle. thought, but still easy to drink. Very effervescent.

This is just a solid brown ale. It's obviously no where near Rouge's Hazelnut Bron Nectar, but still a very enjoyable brew. Supper cheap in the New England area. I'd recommend it anyone that lives in New England for sure! Nothing about the Pig's Ear Brown is real off-putting.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

My local sharer (we don't trade so much as swap or share our extras), Sam Knocken, provided this to me from his Beer of the Month Club take.

Can you make a brown ale from a pig's ear? I have heard that a silk purse is out of the question, but perhaps anything is possible.

My pour got me a finger of fizzy, light-brown head with moderate retention. Color was a deep brown with ruby/garnet highlights. Nose was quite malty, reminiscent of something that eluded me, but perhaps it will come. Did I sense a slight buttery quality? I usually have a blind spot when it comes to diacetyl, so I may be mistaken. Plus, I really do not mind such a flavor. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was much more chocolaty than I had experienced on the nose. It had a powdery taste, like Hershey's Cocoa Powder right out of the tin and into the mouth. Do they even make that any more? I knew precisely where it was stored in my maternal grandmother's house and used to love it straight as a child. I sprinkled it on peanut butter to make a phenomenal sandwich. That's what the nose reminded me of - Ovaltine! Great Gar, but this beer really takes me back. I saw where Newcastle Brown is the standard bearer for the style, but this is drier than that. The finish was semi-sweet with the yeast having converted most of the fermentable sugar to alcohol. I was very impressed by this little piggy.

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%

This may be my favorite brown ale. Poured a 2" beige head with long life. The body is a deep burnt umber brown and held to the light it's a clear lively maroon. Nice light smell of roasted malt. Taste matches the smell, richer than I expected, buttery and with some bitter hops coming through. Finish us a little sweet.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark clear reddish brown color with a huge bubbly tan head that slowly recedes before leaving some spotty lace on the way down. Smells of caramel and brown sugar with a hint of tart fruit, earth, roast and butter. The flavor is heavy on the caramel and butterscotch with an earthy hop bite that provides some balance. Medium body with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a creamy bubbly mouthfeel. So far this is the only brew I've had where I feel the diacytyl actually adds something to the beer. This is probably my favorite beer from Woodstock, but its still just an average beer.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%