Störtebeker Roggen-Weizen | Störtebeker Braumanufaktur

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.66/5  rDev +28.4%

4.5/5  rDev +24%

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This brew is another in my mixed six-pack. I've had a Roggen beer before, last winter from Paulaner, and it was quite delicious.
Opens with a loud hiss, once poured, a dark, almost Dunkles Hefe tone of brown, light golden amber highlights, the real highlight, however, is the spetacular head of foam on top. This beer is really gorgeous to behold, the thick full head is magnificent.
Smells amazing. Dunkleweizen^2. Banana, caramel, clove, pepper, but an underlying sweet/spiciness that recalls fresh rye bread. I find the smell very reminescent of gingerbread, or Spekulatius cookies. Ginger, biscuit, pepper, brown sugar, malt, all combine in addition to the already dunkel-hefe aroma of yeast, banana, orange, malt, bread, and a musty grain character that adds yet another element to the aroma. Intense, wild, different, I'm digging it.As the beer warms, the rye is ultilzed at new points, accenting an intense banana-rye-cocoa aroma, that makes for a new spin on a Dunkle Weizen. Fantastic.
After my first sip, my question is why is this such a rare style? Rye, bread, banana, an interesting bitter chocolate note, pepper,biscuit, ginger, more cocoa, and then the Weizen character--banana, cream-of wheat-yeasty sourness all meld to create a highly interesting and very delicious flavor.
From start to finish, this beer looks, smells and tastes different than any other style typical here in Germany. After my 3 week East coast beer tour when I was home in July, its hard to find anything that really stands out, but this really does. The interesting blend of cocoa-rustic rye spiciness with Weizen beer is really good and a great concoction. Highly enjoyed this brew, and the hard to find factor I will add as a plus, so everytime I come across one, it makes a special occasion.
However, when I was state side, I managed to have a fresh glass of the Bruery's Rugbrod on tap at the Ginger Man in NYc, and I remember a slightly more spiced character, but this is every bit as good, and unlike Rugbrod, not so strong, so a glass doesnt overwhelm you tastes. I would award 5 on smell and taste, but I havent tried all Rye beers in the world to try, so maybe a edit in the future, but for now, a strong contender for the best! Cheers, heres to a good discovery.

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

4.07/5  rDev +12.1%

Hazy amber pour, huge light beige fluffy head, niceretention.
Strong smell of sweet overripe banana, caramel, clove, some faint tutti frutti, lots of spicy yeasts.
Taste isn't overly sweet like the nose predicted: caramel coated banana chips, sure, but balanced by crisp oranges and some apples and pears bring a bit of acidity. Huge spiciness, with clove, faint marzipan, pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg, peppercorn and faint vanilla. Plus extra from the rye, like a dry spicy maltiness, but not too strong. Mildly bitter finish, a bit of sweet wheaty malts remain in the aftertaste.
Lighter body than the eye would tell, prickly carbonation that fits just perfect.
Tho the rye isn't extremely obvious, the result is a very tasty dunkelweizen. Really good.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

3.99/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Here goes my virginity, when it comes to Roggenbier. I've been looking for so long to get my hands on a decent one. I hope this is worth the wait...

A: Pour is murky copper with an amazing, large tan creamy head that slowly sinks into fantastic lacings and a great crater.

S: Smell is like nothing I've smelled before. There's vanilla and a dark dried fruit-tone; plums and figs. Very sweet maltyness. A sour yeastyness. My minds wonders to Belgium...

T: Taste has a little Hefeweizen-tone, with only faint ripe bananas. Then there's that sweet maltyness from the smell once more. Lots of spices and yeast. Kind of sour, still.

M: Long aftertaste with first some sweetness, but in the end a dry bitterness - nice. Body is creamy medium to full and carbonation is moderate.

D: If all Roggens are like this... This was a great beer, in my mouth at least.

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a roggenbier, a style which I have never tried before. Roggenbiers are apparently rye beers with pronounced spiciness and sour character from the rye with good malt and hop character. It pours a murky (unfiltered) light brown color with a medium foamy white head and a good amount of carbonation. The smell is really excellent. It has the scent of fresh baked banana bread with a slight hint of some other fruit, possibly apricot. I don’t really smell any rye. The taste is not as intense as I would have originally thought based on the potent scent, but it still has a really nice deep flavor. The primary flavor is unsurprisingly of banana bread and a little coriander as well as a slight hint of rye, but really not as much as the description of the style would have had me expect (Note the rye does come out a bit upon warming). It’s a little Belgian-esque / hefeweizen-like. There is a fairly pronounced malt character, and a little hop character to balance out the finish. It has a medium body and the finish is semi-dry. The closest thing I’ve had to this is probably a hefe. Compared to them it is better than most I’ve had, but not as good as the top ones. I actually quite like it, but it received fairly poor scores possibly because it doesn’t have a lot of rye character like I guess the style is supposed to have. Still a good beer to try in my opinion.

3.92/5  rDev +8%

3.87/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.86/5  rDev +6.3%

Doc’s beer style #100: Roggenbier! It’s taken us a while to get here, 4 years in fact, but here we are and Roggenbier is lucky number 100. So what is Roggenbier? It is a beer style brewed with roggenmalz, duh! OK, but let’s pretend for a second we don’t speak German (das ist nicht gut!) what is ‘roggenmalz’ and how does it affect me as a beer drinker? There is a simple equation: Roggenmalz = rye malt = awesome sour/pepper notes3 in your beer. Easy. Now I will point out that this brew also contains weizen (or wheat) as well so expect some banana/clove Phenols as well.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a stein.

A: This is one great looking brew: Cloudy toffee-coloured body with a 1 cm creamy dense off-white coloured head that sticks around like forever bro. Leaves a thick lace on the sides of the glass as it drains - this is a head of Guinnessian proportitions! 10/10.

S: Upfront weizen banana/clove Phenols suggest that we are in for more of a weizen experience along with the roggen which comes through with a slight sourdough bread note. Hints of some complex sweet caramel/toasty malts linger in the background as well. 8/10.

T: Then when you taste it there is a big underlying earthy flavour. It’s not nearly as weizeny as I was expecting but those banana/clove Phenols are there adding their own polite nod. The sweetness of the malts is less pronounced and gives way to sour (but interestingly not bread) characters with the finish being more sour and dry than anything else, this really is a new genre of beer for me, though it could use a bit more flavour kick IMHO. 7/10.

M: Medium bodied with a creamy Hefeweizen-like carbonation, it’s hard to complain about that. 8/10.

D: Well, well, well... well. The overriding opinion at the end of this review is: more roggen, less weizen please. Whilst I did enjoy the rye aspects of this brew they were slightly overshadowed by rye’s brash and charismatic cousin wheat - and there’s the rub Störtebeker - wheat will always eclipse rye in a straight shootout as it has the bold Phenol advantage that rye lacks. As it stands I will probably get this again as something that’s weizenesque and different to go to when I am almost tired of Weizens, but I will also continue my search for other Roggenbiers to whet my palate with. 8/10.

Food match: Can you say “bratwurst mit senf und roggenbrot mit sauerkraut”? Ja!

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

L:
-pours a cloudy amber with a big,frothy,offwhite head
-high carbonation visible
S:
-banana,lemon,wheat,clove,caramel,grass
T:
-Follows the nose plus a peppery note
-quite hoppy for a Dunkelweizen
F:
-medium,soft carbonation
-medium body
O:
Very good Dunkelweizen.I just expected more spicyness from the Rye

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Bottle,

Not overly complex but a decent balance of banana/yeast/wheatness with caramel maltyness. Malt flavor is more honey caramel as opposed to much darker/roasted flavors. Some spicyness in there, not nearly as much as american rye beers though. Different, i guess its not a typical roggenbier in that its wheat based.

3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.76/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: Pours a hazy light brown color with a medium top off white head that disolves rapidly. some lacings on the sides off the glass.

A: Aroma is banana ,bread, cloves,vanilla and some citrus

T: The taste is quite similar to the scent. Lots off banana with a good malt profile inn the background, while finishes off with a long sweet flavour with some peppery notes. Is difficult to tell where the rye actually is inn the flavour, for me this really taste like a dark weizbier.

M: medium body with medium carbonation. Mouthfeel gets a little to watery i think, the aftertaste dissapear quite fast.

O: An interesting beerstyle to try. The beer was good and drinkable enough ,but not overly exiting.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast