Rise Of Mayan Dog | Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

thirstydog.com

Style: American Stout

Added by SplashyFob on 01-04-2014

4.92/5  rDev +27.8%

Absolutely perfect; smells strongly of chocolate, mildly sweet on the palate, and smooth as silk.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.65/5  rDev +20.8%

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Typical dark stout. Decent half finger head tan colored fine lacing not much to speak of

S - Compelx smell. Very hard to explain. I smell coffee and chocolate, also typical of a sweet stout. I don't smell the honey. There is a noticeable brown liquor smell to it IMO. Some spices in there, but I can;t put my finger on what kinds of spices. Slight licorice notes.

T - All of the nose elements are present in the taste. Plus the honey. Tastes kind of like a dark chocolate ice cream syrup with honey and spices mixed in. FANTASTIC. Really warms your throat on the way down.

M - Thick. Very thick and full bodied. I would say low carbonation though. Or at least below average. Pretty creamy.

O - This is a GREAT stout. Absolutely will buy this again.

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rare release draft only saw it's way into a four pack I see, I'll take some of those...Pours a pitch black color with mocha tan head fades slowly and evenly spread in the lacing department. Aroma dark astringent coffee roasts, beautiful nose in if you like coffee. Evidently I do my nose keeps dipping into the actual beer, that's how much I like nutty edged coffee and dark chocolate in beer...edit my last comment, after reading the label there are no coffee beans harmed in the brewing of this beer just honey and cacao (cocoa nibs). Either way I'm amped on the pseudo caffeine buzz I'm about to catch from drinking this stuff! Earthy, leather in the nose makes you want to cut it with a knife, big dark chocolate notes and no real honey tones because it's all been fermented out maybe a bit of perceived sweetness but no actual honey explosions happening here. Between this beer, Citra Dog, Wulver, and Siberian Night Bourbon Barreled I'm in heat for Thirsty Dog...what can I say their beers are getting better every day I may have to revisit some of the other offerings out there.

4.48/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very balanced between the chocolate and honey. Really enjoyed the notes of flavor in the beer. Not bitter at all. Really enjoyed

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.31/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Look - Watery black body. Medium tan head and dissipated quickly. Little lacing.

Smell - Honey. Apples. Chocolate. Coffee.

Taste - It advertises honey but it reminded me of Mott's Apple Juice. This initial apple taste quickly transitioned to the traditional chocolate and coffee flavors. Bitter at the end. Faint tobacco in after taste. Higher score for uniqueness.

Feel - Watery yet creamy. Not as heavy as expected. Alcohol is apparent but not overpowering.

Overall - I like the apple juice taste. I know it sounds crazy but I didn't have a wrecked palate before drinking this. Found it aged and thoroughly discounted!

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.26/5  rDev +10.6%

I was scoping the singles scene at Country Garden 6-Pack here in Lancaster, PA on Thursday when I spied this with my little eye. Sure, it's in a bottle, but people have gotten a mistaken impression of me - I will buy and drink beer from a bottle, but I steadfastly will NOT trade with or for bottles.

From the bottle: "Celebrate the new rise of civilization with this bittersweet, bold, black beer filled with old world and traditional Mayan spices, including honey and cocoa nibs."; "Chocolate Honey Stout"; "We Believe in Thirsty Dog!"; "Unleash the Flavor".

I Pop!ped the cap and initiated an aggro pour, causing it to foam up mightily. This resulted in two fingers of dense, deep-tan head with good retention. Nose smelled like bittersweet chocolate and black coffee with an underlying sweetness that I would not have identified on my own as "honey", but it was perceptible. Color was Black/Opaque (SRM = 44) with an impenetrable density that prevented light penetration. Mouthfeel was full, thick and creamy. Was I drinking pudding? The flavor was rich and chocolaty, but not sweet, more bitter but tempered with an underlying sweetness. Once more, I will cop to not being able to recognize it as honey, but something was keeping the utter roastiness of the malt in check. Finish was, as advertised - bittersweet, semi-dry, quite pleasant. Loads of lacing in the glass as I drank through it. Once more, as a self-avowed hop head, I would not want a steady diet of this, but it was a decent change of pace, especially at the price point.

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Black color. One and a half fingers of frothy light brown head. Retention is a touch below average and a short ring of lacing is left.

4.25 S: This smells pretty damn good. Cocoa nibs are most prominent. Supple roastiness, honey, caramel, and molasses. The nibs just smell so damn good. Can't smell this enough.

4.25 T: Taste is just as good as the nose. Again big cocoa flavor. Supple, soft roastiness. Honey isn't too pronounced, but does add a bit of complexity. Caramel, molasses, and neutral malty sweetness. Again, quite good.

4.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Nice creaminess and super smooth.

4.5 D: This is surprisingly a really good beer. I think I have to pick up some more of it.

Rise Of Mayan Dog from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company