Spiced Pumpkin Ale | Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Added by Dogbrick on 11-03-2003

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured into my Bethpage Black USOPEN 2009 Glass.
Appearance: pale orange-amber with a thin white head.
Smell: Somewhat grainy. More of the pumpkin/spice smell comes out with warming
Taste: Sweet. Not much pumpkin spice. A little kick of hop bitterness on the back of the tongue. Again, with warming, more of the spiciness comes out
Mouthfeel: Thin. Not much carbonation.
Drinkability: Did not think this is a very remarkable brew. Easy to drink, but not very memorable.
Based on the scores, this is a very average beer.

Here it is. Fall. The usual players are pushin punkin on the beer world, and I continue my search for a slice of pie in a glass.

A: Light orange/amber, very little carb with small head and lace that went away.

S: Rusty cap, slight fake pumpkin and grain.

M: About as average as it gets, mild aftertaste with no sweet, foam slightly on the mouth.

T: I get the spice part, but there is only a small amount of pumpkin. The sweetness is from honey and slight bitter from whatever hops they use, otherwise, straight average.

D: There is better, there is worse. Average all the way.

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Wasabi 88 pint glass.

A-Pours a dark copper color just like most pumpkin ales. Minimal head with spotty lacing.

S-Smells sweet, not really what I expected it to smell like, didn't really notice much pumpkin, smelled more like honey.

T-Tastes very sweet, the honey overwhelms the pumpkin and spices. I was really thinking it would be more spicy.

M-Light little to no carbonation

D-With the light carbonation it is very drinkable, but it feels more like a summer brew than a fall pumpkin ale.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

Consumed 11/1

A: This beer pours a beautiful crystal clear amber color topped with a one finger of white sudsy head to it. Head disappears immediately and no real lacing to speak of is left behind.

S: Nose is of nutmeg, cinnamon and a touch of malt.

T: Taste is nutmeg and cinnamon upfront, lending in to some pale ales with a finish of pumpkin and sharp spice finish.

M: Light body, medium carbonation, slick feel with a slightly chewy bite to it.

D: I love pumpkin beers, but the spicing, pumpkin and malts weren't blended that well. I have had far better offerings of the style.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

A- Pours a crytal clear orange color with a nice white head. Head has ok retention and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smell is typical for a pumpkin ale. Quite a few spices just a bit lighter than others that I've had.

T- Again just like others that I've had only quite a bit lighter in flavours. The spices dominant this brew mainly nutmeg and cinnamon.

M- Lighter in body and carbonation.

D- Easy to drink just not really my thing. I guess for this season I'll just stick with Oktoberfests.

3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

A- transparent amber. head disappeared as quickly as it came with no lacing

S-very slight spice with a hint of pumpkin, very thin smell

T- curious, I didn't taste much pumpkin. spice was present but not very much. pretty lackluster IMO

M-smooth, little carbonation. easy on the tongue

O-its OK. not really what I was expecting. not bad in anyway, just under-performed

3.17/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured into my Danny Boy's pint glass.

Appearance - Four full fingers of creamy and frothy vanilla head cover up this transparent brew. The beer is a very watery orange color with brown caramel notes to it. It definitely has the appearance of a fall beer. It looks like 'pumpkin juice'; if that sort of thing would ever exist.

Smell - Ahhh. I've been longing for a pumpkin beer ever since fall ended. Concise pumpkin bring backs memories from the fall. Light gourd and heavy pumpkin (or Jack-O-Lantern!?) notes. Very faint bitters in the background. Slight nutmeg and spices.

Taste - What? Wait a minute. What happened to those robust pumpkin spices in the nose? Upon my first drink, I thought I was drinking straight water. It isn't until moments after I swallow until I am met with sweetened Splenda gourd juice. I occasionally get a hint of spice in my drink; but not often. Upon continuing to drink; I realized that I had to work for the taste. Swirling it around my mouth and moving my tongue around brought out all of the spices in a much better fashion. I drank the rest of the beer this way.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - This is the lightest body on any beer I've ever experienced. The spices make themselves more present in the second half of the beer, which is a nice touch. This beer is extremely watered down, however. I can't even believe this is even 5% alcohol. While light bodied, the beer feels thick and swampy in my mouth. It feels like my tongue is trying to get through a thick maple syrup. Once swirling the beer around my mouth; I noticed that this really helped bring out all of the spices.

EDIT: I enjoyed this beer much more when it was warmer and have adjusted my score.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance was nice. Poured with a small head and has a nice dark orange to copper color.
Odor is pretty good. Has light smell of spices typical with pumpkin such as nutmeg and cinnamon.
Mouth feel is a little average. It is light and carbonated. Not much substance to it.
Taste follows with the mouth feel. Has carbonated taste and light pumpkin-type flavor. Flavor is not really pronounced. Overall it seems to be lacking and not as good as other pumpkin beers I have had.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

A - Pours an orange copper with minimal head that dissipates fairly quickly. Minimal but visible lacing

S - Strong brown sugar, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg maybe?

T - Strong brown sugar presence, as the initial sugar rush dies down cinnamon nutmeg and some pumpkin come in.

M - Like most all pumpkin brews, mouth feel leaves much to be desired. Tastes more like sugar water than beer. Thin, ok carbonation. not terrible but not good.

O - Nothing really special about this one, it would be ok for a holloween party I guess but the mouthfeel is pretty poor. Super sugary

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an orange-brown color and a clear consistency. There was almost no head to speak. Same with the lacing.

S: A nice, underplayed aroma of malt, pumpkin and spices.

T: Tasted of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and malt, though the two spices were not as featured as they could have been. A somewhat flat, thin flavor.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: On the whole, this is just an average, extremely forgettable beer.

3.25/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Luckily my wife got a glass of this on our most recent trip, because there is no way I would get anything else when Siberian Night is in season! Dark golden orange with a medium off-white head. Thin and quick lacing. Lots of cinnamon, pumpkin and nutmeg in the nose. Light-bodied and a little fizzy. The pumpkin flavor is not nearly as strong as the aroma would lead you to believe. It almost reminds me of a spiced Christmas-type ale with the different spices that come through in the flavor. The finish is crisp and spiced with a little hops as well. Pretty good seasonal from Thirsty Dog.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured to a small head that dissipated into a light ring of foam, no lacing. The color is lighter than most Pumpkin Ales, but still nicely colored (orange tinted yellow). Moderate carbonation. Nice malt sweetness combined with a Pumpkin/brown sugar taste on the front end. The spices come in on the back end with a lingering nutmeg flavor. Very nice and would love to have another.

~Jonathan Passow

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a pint glass:

A: clear yellow/orange body, small white head immediately died

S: pumpkin spice up front, ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon in the background

T: sweet through previously mentioned flavors, honey comes through as the beer warms

M: light to medium, sessionable, crisp, strong spicey aftertaste and finish

O: this is a good pumpkin ale and I would have this again as well

Spiced Pumpkin Ale from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company