Old Leghumper | Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Style: American Porter

Added by Brent on 11-08-2001

3.7

4.89/5  rDev +29%

This was an excellent porter. It poured very well with a small head that slowly vanished. It left a lace that added a nice apperance.
The taste and mouthfeel were very good. It coated my toungue and tingled it with its carbonation. The taste was chocolate up front and coffee to follow. A very mild porter, I woudn't call it robust. I could drink this in the morning with my toast and eggs. A very good porter, I would defintely buy this again, and I did. This is definitely one of my favorite beers!

Justin

4.85/5  rDev +28%

This is how Porter's are to taste!!! This poured nice into a 16 oz Guiness draft glass. The color was pitch black with a nice brown head. The taste was out of this world!!! None of that burnt grains taste that some porters try to pull off. I don't know why they try for that taste? This was a GREAT Porter that I will go and get some more of. I don't know why people like Great Lakes Edmond Fitzgerald so much? My personal opinion is that this is far better and a most enjoyable beer.

4.83/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Unlike all these pretentious crafty guys, I drank this straight out of the bottle. (Gasp!). I couldn't tell you the color of the head or even the exact color of the beer. It was recommended by the owner of Cobb's General Store in Ft. Pierce, FL, because I am a porter lover. Although the label says "robust porter", I found it to be a rather light-tasting porter, which was very enjoyable straight out of the bottle in 87 degree heat, while still sitting in front of a fire. Very pleasant flavors but light enough where you could drink 3 and not feel like you ate a loaf of bread. Highly recommend.

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%

I reallyreally love this beer. I'm generally picky about porters, but this one I really can't get enough of. It's really easy to drink, and great for a cold, winter night.

it pours a dark brown, with a slight redness too it when held to the light. no lace, and no head (at least, none that lasts longer than a minute).

the smell is total coffee, with hints of chocolate and caramel. yummmm!

the taste, clearly, is my favorite part. again, the coffee is really strong, with a really smooth, malty body. chocolate is definitely noticeable as well. it's slightly sour at the end.

in terms of drinkability, i usually end up finishing this beer within 5-10 minutes because it just goes down so easy. it's delicious, and i wish the alcohol content was slightly lower because this would be my session beer of choice. i highly recommend this porter!

4.56/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I can't believe I have not tried this beer until now. I just always shyed away from some of the local breweries. This brew has an excellent finish. Just the right note of chocolate/coffee on start up and finishes smoother than most beers I have ever tried. Definitely worth grabbing a six pack for a try. I will buy again!!

4.54/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very dark brown with a very short, tan head that drops to nothing fairly quick.

Well-defined aroma of roasted malt, coffee and chocolate.

Flavor is extremely well-balanced - at the front is roasted malts, but is rounded with coffee, chocolate and brown sugar. A little hint of hops, but it goes past quickly. Robust, tasty, yet not dominated by any one flavor.

Medium bodied, medium carbonation, fairly smooth, a little oily.

Overall, an extremely well done beer. While the mouthfeel and appearance aren't top of the line, the aroma and taste of this brew are absolutely wonderful.

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

4.52/5  rDev +19.3%

Great beer. Nice and smooth with no aftertaste. The look isn't fantastic...not much of a head, but everything else about this beer is great. I look forward to trying more of their brews.

Old Leghumper from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company