12 Dogs Of Christmas Ale | Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

thirstydog.com

Style: Winter Warmer

Added by imaguitargod on 11-18-2008

4.74/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is everything a Christmas winter warmer should be...it's naughty (spicy) and nice (sweet) ...you can smell the spices but they really come alive in the taste...nutmeg, clove, cinnamon & gingerbread...she's got a bite! But the malt and honey sweetness balance it all out. This is my new all time fave winter warmer...better than GL Christmas Ale...yup, I said it

4.7/5  rDev +21.1%

4.68/5  rDev +20.6%

4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Deep amber and filled with warm spices in the nose. The first sip is full of cinnamon, clove, ginger, and is delightfully warm. There's even a late sweetness. Graham cracker flavors make an appearance, too. If you like spicy winter warmers, this is for you. I've even seen it served with a ring of cinnamon on the glass, just like salt with a margarita.

The great debate here in Ohio is Great Lakes Christmas Ale or Thirsty Dog 12 Days of Christmas. I don't really want to decide. Both are outstanding and make anyone look forward to Christmas. You can't go wrong with either.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%

Uh oh. This may become one of those days when I CAN actually cop to drinking all day. You have to start in the morning to be able to pull it off, but given the weather and my attitude (I am listening to CDR Cody's "Seeds and Stems Blues" and Kris Kristofferson's "Sunday Morning Comin' Down", if that gives you any indication). When did my life become a C & W song? Man, I miss my Old Lady.

From the bottle: "This beer's name sums up the idea of bringing the best together to celebrate. It is filled with seasonal flavors from generous amounts of toasted and caramel malts, mixed with equally generous amounts of honey, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. We feel it is the perfect libation, filled with flavors of the season."

I had a finger of light-brown head when I initially poured this sumbich but when I looked away it disappeared like a thief in the night. Color was an orangish-amber with a clarity that made me want to weep for all of the things that have been lost just in my lifetime. Nose had a potpourri-like zest to it that just evoked Christmas and the holidays in my addled mind. Onto a taste. Ho, did somebody say "Ginger"? Jeez, there was Rodgers; the chick from Giggling's Atoll; that doll in Long Beach lo those many years ago who I used to hook up with after shows at Fender's International Ballroom ... Yes, ginger was the first and foremost taste on my tongue. Okay, regrouping, I could also get the cinnamon and nutmeg, but they were lesser players. There was this beautiful stripper who went by Cinnamon when I was down in Roosey Roads, PR and she and her colleague, China, were both from western PA. Oh, the memories ... But I digress again. The beer danced across my tongue on the lightest of feet, almost creamy in its presence. The finish was equally spicy and evocative of a meal in Thailand, on an evening of liberty in 1987. 'Twere the ginger, lads.

Okay, quick recap - very nice, especially for a Winter Warmer. Lots of spices, very warming with a fairly full mouthfeel. Worth seeking out, especially at this time of year.

4.6/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Good Xmas Ale. A quick up and comer in my experience. Great look and smell. very sweet and cinnimiiny smell. warms you up quick. gives your lips a bit of a tingle. goes great with sweets including xmas cookies or something more on the saltier side. Every year I find I am having more of a craving for 12 Dogs than Great Lakes

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%

12 oz bottle poured into Allagash chalice.

A: Pours a mostly opaque reddish-brown with faint orange highlights. 1-finger head quickly dies down to a mere cap, leaving no lacing on the glass.

S: Strong ginger in the nose, along with honey, orange peel and cardamom. Very festive; not unlike offerings from Yankee Candle (yup).

T: Wow. Ginger dominates, in an extremely clean and tasteful way. This beer is all honey and spice bouquet; impossible to pick apart, really, but oh so well-balanced and smooth. As far as I'm concerned, the alcohol doesn't exist. Incredible.

M: Medium carbonation, perhaps on the high side. This causes the beer to cream up nicely, although I can see this being quite thin when it flattens.

O: I found a stray bottle of this sitting on the shelves with no idea what to expect, and I can't get over how happy I am to have come upon it. This has got to be the best example of a Winter Warmer that I've ever had, and it more than hits the spot, even on a 67 degree spring evening. I'm looking forward to December, if only so I can grab a case of this.

A benchmark Winter Warmer.

4.59/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

Had this one recently, bottle from a 6'er....great to support my local Akron area brewers!!

Appearance is good, nice amber with decent head and lacing on the glass

Smell is great, decent spice mix, cinnamon and ginger upfront, some nice background spice notes of allspice and nutmeg in there, nice holiday smells

Taste is yummy, I like this one a lot, it is definitely a Christmas beer, you will have no doubt on that! If a well balanced and nicely spiced brew, with high and hidden abv does it for you, you will love this beer!

Mouthfeel is good also, lots of carbonation and easy on the palate, not overwhelming at all.

Drinkability is also very good, on a cold Ohio night with snow coming down, if you are lucky enough to have one of the 12 Dogs of Christmas, your night will be improved markedly! Highly recommended, as good or better than GLBC Christmas Ale IMO, priced about the same in NE OH...go for this one if you have the chance!

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%

12oz bottle poured into a nonic pint. A slightly hazy tea-colored ale, topped by a two-fingers tan head. Light, spotty lacing.

The noise on this beer is spectacular... sweet malts, molasses, heavily ornamented with spices. Ginger and nutmeg especially stand out. If you had a pine tree around this would be Christmas in your nose.

Those spices on the nose continue on into the taste... molasses and a biscuit-like malt character serve
to support the very up-front spice (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), leading into toasted nutty notes and dried stone fruits in the mid-palate. The finish is slightly sweet and spicy but dries quickly (possibly from the addition of honey.) Hops are almost imperceptible, mostly masked by the spices...Alcohol warmth is subtle and pleasant.

Mouth-feel is smooth and silky, with light carbonation. This is a pretty big beer, but also a gentle one, very drinkable. I could certainly see the 8.3% alcohol sneaking up on someone.

This was provided to me by a friend, who told me it was the best Christmas ale he'd ever tried, and I'm fully prepared to second that feeling. It's definitely a seasonal-specific sort of taste, but with the spices and the toasted nutty malts, it really is like bottled Christmas. When Santa stops by next year I'd much appreciate him leaving a few of these under the tree.

4.57/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

4.55/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - deep amber.. Heads up nicely but falls too quick

S - nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger

T - same as smell.. Follows the feel of literally drinking Christmas

M - a bit bity IMO, very very spiced

O - much better than most winter warms I've had. But reader beware if you don't want lots of spice, avoid.

4.53/5  rDev +16.8%

The name says it all in this one...Christmas. I had a 4 oz. pour for this in a tasting glass from a bottle at a very cold temperatrure. It was Amber in color. An overwhelming taste of nutmeg and cinnamon accompany this beer and that is exactly what the bottle reads. I also tasted a hint of cheery. Light and fluffy on the palate like you could make a session beer out of it. Also has a taste of malt to it.

The bottle also labels it as honey which I could not get out of it. High ABV but didnt taste like it. Gotta love those "winter warmers."

A very Christmasy Ale.

4.5/5  rDev +16%

Had this when the bar ran out of Great Lakes Christmas Ale; very comparable and an excellent alternative.

12 Dogs Of Christmas Ale from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company