Citra Dog | Thirsty Dog Brewing Company

Style: American IPA

Added by beer2day on 03-12-2012

Reviews: 85 | Ratings: 686
2.42/5  rDev -36%

This was terrible. Bottom of bottle may have shown a Julian date: 4130, which I'm afraid indicates it's a year old.

Cloudy orange, frothy foam, looks nice enough.

Smell is all gross wet grains, silage, moldy bread.

Taste is sweet then bitter. Caramel malt and dandelion green bitterness. Bleh. Medium bodied, average carbonation. Nothing special, would have to try a fresh sample to re-rate.

2.47/5  rDev -34.7%

Bought a single bottle from AJs Beer Warehouse, July 2015. Served at fridge temp in a Duvel Tulip.

L: Hazy apricot, thick white head, nice lacing.

S: Strong Eucalyptus, nothing else
T: strong herbal bitterness, not much else
F: good, solid
O: getting tired of IPAs

2.62/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Cool name/branding, Citra IPAs get my excited. but this left me questioning a lot. Big bitterness through and through, not a particularly pretty pour, murky brown. The beer itself is heavy and malty, and still bitter. kinda rough. No bottled on date, it's possible this may just be an old bottle(?) I hope. Not my Jam

2.88/5  rDev -23.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a teku glass

Very interesting brew. Definitely Not what I was expecting but not a terrible beer. Aroma was somewhat off with very little floral hop aroma. I smell the said mango flavor that the label proclaims, however it is not present in the taste. I actually thought the beer was old and oxidized at first but I double checked the date to make sure. Mouthfeel is ok...not much of a party in my mouth as some of the other citra IPAs I have had. Lacing is present in the glass and the brew has a nice head that dissipates slowly. Overall not the best brew but not the worst either. Is it worth a try? Sure why not.

Cheers!

2.91/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's has a nice Amber/cider look. Very mild smell, nothing too distinct. Taste is not hoppy enough for an ipa, on the watery side. Overall a pretty weak feel, disappointed with the hops concentration. Could be a good session beer

From a bottle. Loght golden body with a big pungent sweet resin aroma. Lots of citrus flavor, but I also get a hint of onion taste. Not really digging the savory flavors or the hint of onion. Maybe this would be a good beer to cook with. Not one of the better citra hop examples

Can't find a legible date or code anywhere but i get the vibe that this is a very old bottle. I really wish Thirsty Dog would start dating there stuff.

couldn't find a date code, and i suspect this was an older bottle, because i am not getting any of those beautiful citrus notes you'd expect from citra. nice malt body, though.

3.14/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Bottle purchased at Salena's Mexican Restaurant in Rochester, NY.

This one pours a lighter amber orange, with a one and a half inch head, and a bit of lacing.

Smells like caramel and bready malt, and a bit of kind of stale grapefruit.

I'm not sure if this is old, or just bad, or just both- because this is really not doing it for me. It's quite malty, with a weird and bad astingency on the finish, and not enough grapefruit or other fruity hoppiness to balance this one out.

This medium bodied, fairly crisp, but not all that drinkable.

Pretty disappointing stuff from Thirsty Dog. I expect better.

3.16/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours pretty enough and has no date on the btotle. SO when I was decideing to review this beer or no, I decide yes because the brewer could have put the date on and I would not have bought it had I thought it was old or past it's drinking window. For a nose there is some caramel, a bit of cracker and biscuity malt, no fruit at all. I can reach in my imagination because of what is written on the label for some orange or some stone fruits but no. Cool herbal. Taste is just ok and nothing more. If I stretch my mind out I could say a bti of tartness and fruit juiciness. It's malt forward. caramel biscuit and dry cracker. No fruit a bit of herbal and some slickness int eh mouthfeel. This had a medium mouthfeel. I would not buy this again especically not without a date on it.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Clear golden yellow. Small head. Almost nothing after a bit.

Smell - Not what I expected. A lot of grapefruit to the hop aroma. Doughy malts. Kinda musty.

Taste - Grapefruit hop again. Sweet malts, not too sweet. A little crackery. Bitter and grassy in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation. Bitter in the finish.

Overall - I expected something more orangey and tropical. It's ok, but nothing really impressive.

3.42/5  rDev -9.5%

Second beer of the day. Here goes:

A: Not very good. Murky but light orange. Pours a tiny head with very little lacing. Not much carbonation apparent.

S: OK, not great, though. Huge floral and grassy smells; also a lot of citrus. However, I'm missing that tropical sensation that I get from other citra-hopped beers.

T: Not bad. Taste follows the flowery smell, which is a good thing. Grassy hops linger at the back of the tongue long after consumption. Very little malt.

F: Bad. Far too watery; not carbonation. Just bad for the style, IMO.

O: OK beer. Will not get again, though - certainly no Zombie Dust killer, which is what was advertised at the store.

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: clear; copper colored; 2+ finger ivory head that receded slowly to a thick cap; very nice lacing;

S: catty;

T: catty as well, although there are tropical fruit and citrus notes in the background; moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: not the Citra notes I expected;

3.46/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- A pale amber color under a moderate bleached white head that dissipates rather quickly. Overall an inviting sight.

Smell- Very plain but aggressive citrus smell. As the head dissipates the smell does as well but at a much quicker rate.

Taste- As expected a very heavy citrus taste initially that lingers for a few seconds. An after taste of slight hops is welcome. Overall good flavor, but a bit watered down tasting.

Mouthfeel- Overall a light feel with a bit of a bitter bite to it. The flavors are more abundant the longer the beer is exposed to the mouth before swallowing.

Overall- generally a good beer I would drink again. It has a very inviting appearance to it and is backed up with an equally intriguing smell. The taste is a bit of a letdown in that it appears somewhat watered down. Overall an enjoyable beer. If it's around and you haven't had it, why not.

3.47/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into an IPA glass from a 12 oz bottle brought back from NYC.

Pours a straw color with a thin white head. Aroma is some citrus, some hay. Fairly muted. Flavor is okay - more malty than I expected. Overall, it's okay and I'd drink it again, but I wouldn't seek it out.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Thirsty Dog's Citra Dog last week for $1.99 at The lager Mill. I was looking for a beer to fill up my mixed 6 pack and since I'm a big fan of Citra hops I thought I would give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is a little cheesy, but it still looks ok and It's a little eye catching. It poured a nice golden orange color that took on more of an amber hue when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's not a single thing wrong with the way it looks.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of Citra hops upfront with some nice grapefruit aromas sticking out the most with some tropical and citrus fruit aromas showing up nicely in the background and there's also a slight piney and spicy hap aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart some grainy and bready malt aromas. This beer had a pretty good aroma, the Citra hop showed up nicely and there was just enough malts to bring good balance to the aroma.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops with the citrus and fruity hops sticking out just slightly more than the piney and spicy hop flavors with grapefruit still sticking out the most, but not by much. Up next comes the malts that impart a grainy and bready malt flavor. On the finish comes a lower amount of high bitterness which is just a little to high and it had a lingering bitterness on the aftertaste with some bready malts and grapefruit flavors. This is a nice decent beer, but it just a little too bitter and it doesn't do the best job at showcasing how juicy and fruity Citra hops can be.

M- Not the smoothest, clean, crisp, dry, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but it could be smoother and not as thick.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a decent example of the style, but it had some aspects to it that held it back from being as good as it could and that made it a little rough around the edges. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't as smooth as I would have liked and it was a little filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention. I think one or two would be enough for me, I think the lingering bitterness would start to get to me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, I thought they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the hop aspect in the taste, it wasn't that bad, but it was a little too bitter and not as fruity and juicy as I would like. I don't think I would get this beer again, with Oddsides Citra Pale ALe being readily available I don't think I'll have the urge to revisit this one anytime soon. I don't think I would recommend this beer it's pretty forgettable as far as Citra hopped beers goes. All in all I wasn't that impressed with this beer, it wasn't a bad beer,but to me it didn't let those Citra hops shine as well as they could have. It's not my least favorite Thirsty Dog beer, but it certainly isn't ma favorite and I don't think it's that memorable, Better luck next times guys.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

definitely not the best use of citra hops I can think of, and because of the hype some of their beers carry, I expected quite a bit more out of this one. its a fine brew, nothing wrong with it really, just not really anything special. surprised to see it called an ipa, I see it much more as a pale ale. almost no hop bitterness on the back end of this, or rather enough malt flavor to balance what is there, and not anywhere near as much citra as I wish their was. I can tell its citra, but they seem faded out to me, like this is old, but it isn't. lost maybe in a slightly metallic sea of grain. maybe not dosed highly enough, maybe not much of a dry hopping. the beer seems to me to be a little over balanced, cautious or something. not bad, just uninspiring. I picked this up as a single with a bunch of other beers from these guys, and I hope that the others impress a bit more. apparently newly distributed to the upstate New York area, I suspect their beers will sell pretty well here, but this one did not live up to its full potential...

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear golden yellow with a finger of white head that fades into a thin ring with a little lacing.

S: Lot of grassy hops with some pine and grapefruit aromas. It's a very dry and earthy smelling beer.

T: Similar to the aroma, there are a lot of dry and earthy hop flavors. Pine, grasses, citrus rind, and some spicy herbs. The finish is moderately bitter.

M: Medium body and carbonation, this beer is light and a little sudsy feeling, but avoids being watery or oily.

O: A decent IPA overall with unique hop profile and is dry and drinkable.

3.56/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pours clear gold with one finger of white sudsy head, medium lacing.
S - Big Pine, grapefruit, fresh bread malt.
T - Very assertive bitterness, lots of grapefruit and pine, mild bready and crackery malt underneath.
M - Too bitter, what the heck.
O - The taste is too bitter to really be enjoyable the best parts of the citra hop are sorely missed in this brew.

3.6/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nothing more than an OK offering from Thirsty Dog. Try if offered, but don't go out of your way to seek. The citra notes are subdued by what I can only perceive as a lack of overall balance.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber with one finger thick creamy white head, settles to a thin ring, splotches of lace on the glass. Smell: grassy, tangerine, light biscuit. Taste: grapefruit, orange peel, grassy, dried sugared mango note, more sugary pale malt. Body is really cut by the bitterness, thinning out and finishing a bit chalky. Decent but easily the most disappointing citra IPA I've had.

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - A light, slightly hazy orange.

S - I was a little disappointed here. The smell isn't overwhelming, actually a bit underwhelming and reminds me of white wine with some subtle citrus and spice notes.

T - There is the citra hop. There is a nice balance of bitterness with the grapefeuit and citrus flavors. The hops aren't incredibly strong or as strong as I'd prefer for an IPA, but smooth and balanced regardless.

M - Very light and drinkable.

O - A decent beer, but overall I am disappointed. This drinks more like a pale ale and the nose was not nearly what it could be.

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light yellow color. Smell is of awesome citrus fruits as normally present with Citra hops. Taste is not too sophisticated with a basic citrus hop taste but nothing powerful. Solid mouthfeel and finish. Reminds me more of a regular pale ale than an IPA. Solid beer for fans of citra hops.

3.66/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

2015-09-29
12oz bottle served in a tulip. Brought to me by the refulgent @mr-jj. No dates that I can see.

Pours hazy golden with a big head that dissipates at a medium pace. Medium to low carbonation, an odd juxtaposition with the big head. Smell is a bit o' cat pee, which I don't usually recognize as cat pee, so it's probably pretty strong. Still fairly citrus, a little fresh grass.

Taste is mild -- soft, round, malty. It would make for a nice pale ale, but it's a little mild for an IPA. Some resiny characteristic, which is nice.

Mouthfeel is velvety. Overall, not bad at all.

3.67/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Bradaplast for sending this one! Reviewed from notes. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into a Cigar City pint glass.

A: Dark gold and extremely hazy. Forms a finger's worth of dense white head with great retention over quite a bit of small bubble visible carbonation.

S: Citrus (peeled oranges), tropical fruits, and bready malts. A nice nose, but not as bit of an aroma as I expected for a Citra-forward beer.

T: Citrus rind, grapefruit, some tropical fruit (mostly mango), and chewy bready malts with a touch of caramel character. There's a good punch of bitterness, and some leftover resin sap on grapefruit rind in the hang. Not quite the big fruity hop profile I was hoping for. Subjectively, this might taste a bit old; unfortunately, I see no dating on the bottle.

M: Medium to slightly heavy body, good carbonation sensation, and an average alcohol presence.

O: Not my favorite, but drinkable. I'm curious as to how old this bottle is - I received it very recently in a trade (and I believe he thought it was fresh)…I would certainly be willing to give another go-round with a (known) very fresh bottle. As it is though, edges towards more mediocre than I'd hoped.

Citra Dog from Thirsty Dog Brewing Company