Love Belgian Beer?

Polar PilsenPolar Pilsen

Cervecería Polar
Venezuela | website

Style: American Pale Lager

Polar Pilsen acompaña a los venezolanos desde 1941, con la misma dedicación, constancia y esfuerzo que le pone el venezolano día tras día a todo lo que hace. Cumplimos 70 años acompañando y aportando una esencia que es y seguirá siendo Polar Pilsen, nuestro auténtico sabor.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-08-2002

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 33 | Ratings: 83
2.53/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle brought to me by my brother, thanks John, as he was on a Carribbean cruise. Encouraged by those he brought it from to drink very cold, so I've been storing this in my garage (December in MN should be could enough). Nice label on painted bottle (which I'll keep for homebrew) and on the cap (which left a rust ring on the bottle).

Aroma presents with a very sweet malt. Fairly clean and typical.
Yellow-gold. Water clear. 1/2 inch white head that dimished to a ring only in time.
Flavor is a mix of the slightly sweet malt up front, then mild bitterness and finishes with a pretty heavy dryness that lingers long for style. Not blended all that well, but an interesting mix.
Appropriately thin with moderate carbonation for style. Dryness is both good and bad for thirst quenching properties.
The dryness really stands out. Very easy to drink quickly (I wasn't that thirsty and it went down very fast). This prevented me from letting it warm, but that may be just as well as I would predict it wouldn't hold up so well. Not a classic, but I can see having this when it's hot out and the beer is very cold. It'll do just fine then.

2.45/5  rDev -5.4%

-My brother in law used to drink this in Venezuela growing up. He can get it now in Miami so he brought me a couple to try.

This beer pours pale and yellow, with medium carbonation and no head or lacing to speak of. There was almost no aroma but I did detect a hint of hops. The taste was very bland and non-offensive. The beer is dry, crisp, and refreshing.

Reflection: If I was at a ballgame on a hot summers day I think I would enjoy knocking a few of these back, but this beer lacks any flavor and is not a quality beer by anyone's standards.

1.13/5  rDev -56.4%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with almost no head. No aroma and taste is very weak. No surprise here since I didn’t expect much to begin with anyway. What is worth mentioning though is that the bottle is made in the shape of a baseball bat and will make an interesting addition to my bottle collection.

2.18/5  rDev -15.8%

***The name on the bottle was 'Polar Pilsner', but I have confirmed this is the same beer as Tipo.***

Going back a couple of weeks through my notes for this one, which I found at a Hispanic grocery while trekking around in the Miami heat.

Pale yellow, mid to high carbonation. Average white head. Aroma was minimal, but a few hops were in there plus a bit of corn starchiness. The mildly hoppy flavour was intertwined with an offputting cereal graininess. One-dimentional and plastic, though it did at least quench my thirst. Little finish that I could note.

This is not a good quality beer by any means, though not the foulest I've tried.

3.2/5  rDev +23.6%

Here we go again with em lagers. Pours a pale golden tone, with a medium bright white head and a lot of carbonation. The smell, intense, gives off much of the hops and a slight maltyness.

The taste, and what gives it an edge over other lagers, is That it is dry but flavourful, with much of the maltyness prior to a nice bitterness, and a nice feel to the carbonation throughout. This all favours an 'aux cayes' (OK) mouthfeel, not a bad beer at all.

2.93/5  rDev +13.1%

My sister brought me a couple of small 10 oz cans of Polar back from Columbia. The beer is a very clear light yellow color. A foamy white head fades very fast to a ring around the beer and that soon disappears. There is little to no aroma, but what I could detect smelled flowery and almost honey like. The beer is very drinkable and goes down quickly. Carbonation is slow and the flavor begins with a sweet light malt and corn taste. Some hoppy bitterness finishes off the sip and leaves a mild bitter flavor behind.

I was pleased to find this beer did not have any chemical flavors found in many low quality brews. I also thought the flavor had many similarites to honey mead.

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

They serve a lot of this stuff on Margarita Island, off the coast of Venezuela. The beer is straw in color and a bit over carbonated. The fizz lasts just a short time, and then the head disappears. There's no body to speak of and the lightly citrusy hops are on the mild side. There's also not much aroma. After a time, you can get accustomed to drinking Polar, it's inexpensive and in the hot daytime sun of the island, it was fairly refreshing. But on cool evenings, thoughts hearty pale ales and flavorful IPAs entered the brain...

2.01/5  rDev -22.4%

This brew pours a light straw color with no head, and leaves no lace. There is no hop aroma and malty aroma nothing this is bad. A taste of nothing but a little hops that is about it. This is a beer from Aruba and it sucks. I had a friend bring some beer back from there and this is some of what he brought me.

Cheers