Moo Brew Wheat Beer | Moorilla Estate

Added by joecast on 11-24-2005

3.2

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.55/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Very different to last review. This is a best by 9/4/2007.
Too brown & murky, caramel coloured.
Smell is yeasty & spicy...slight citrus note, but not very pleasant.
Tastes of ginger beer, yeast... not much hefe style (other than the yeastiness).
Very sedimented, too much... home brewy.

3.47/5  rDev +8.4%

(Served in a Weizen glass)

A- This beer has a dark story murky body like that of cider. There is a snow white head that fades almost as fast as it forms. There is a strong carbonation of big bubbles racing up the side of the glass.

S- This beer has a big aroma of smooth bubblegum and a hint of clove that finishes with a nice bitter noble hop nose.

T- The taste of big wheat berries comes through with a hint of banana and clove with a sour earthiness that increases as it warms. There is a faint fruit punch note that fades into the noble hop bitterness at the finish. Notes of caramel, nougat and cider come through in the malt flavors.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a big fizz in the finish. There is a slight watery texture as it warms.

D- The color is a bit strange and reminds me of dirty dishwater as I'm drinking it, but the hops are stronger than in most wheat beers and that is very nice. There is some good depth to the taste but there is some slight off flavors that seem to get in the way. This is an interesting twist on the style but it could use some refining.

3.3/5  rDev +3.1%

Another fine brew from Moo Brew. Once again in their distictive packaging and artwork. I'm a little hesitant of Aussie made Hefe's. They're either all bananas and blow, or lack everything that makes them what they should be.

Poured a little slack for a heffe, even after swirling in the yeast. Nice colour, a plae yellow, with plenty of yeast in suspension, but a thin head.

Aroma is banana. Did I mention there was banana? Low levels of clove and a hint of apricot. Little to no whaetyness, and just a touch of yeastyness too.

Tasted (as others have mentioned) pretty much as it smelt. Bananas, clove, apricot, a hint of vanilla(?), and little wheat malt.

Nice, but it needs more complexity to hold me in.

4.09/5  rDev +27.8%

First off, love the bottles. No judging a book by its cover but there's some very smooth packaging going on here. However, that usually leads me to expect the beer inside to be substandard which is not what I found here.

Pours quite flat for a hefe, even directly into the butcher there is no real head. Colour is a lovely yellow hue with a moderate amount of yeast haze.

Aroma is predominantly banana, I fancy with some dried fruit, possibly apricot. Flavour holds the same, with fairly low levels of clove. Carbonation on tongue is moderate to low, just enough for a light spritz on the tongue and fortunately sufficient to maintain a fresh drinkability without allowing the low bitterness to present a too-sweet beer.

Definitely worthwhile, I will be chasing down the other two moo brews as soon as I can.

3.29/5  rDev +2.8%

I've found this beer rather inconsistent. I have drunk three times in the last week whilst on holiday in Tasmania. The first time it blew me away and I was making comparisons with Weihenstephaner, but the other two tastes were a complete disappointment.

On this last tasting, it poured a murky honey hue, with a quickly dissipating small head. Smell dominated by banana, not much spice. Similar with taste, although a lasting finish. It's still much closer to hefe style than other Australian wheat beers I've tried, but not as outstanding as my impression was the first time I drank it. Is my memory deceiving me?

I wonder if variation has resulted from poor storage - when I visited Moorilla Estate, they talked about how it must be kept cold due to not being pasturised, and drunk "when fresh", although I've only bought refrigerated bottles from places with a high turnover. I could not find a best before date on the bottle. I'm going to keep trying this beer again because I'm sure I wasn't mistaken in regarding this as a great beer when I first tried it.

3.27/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Spot on colour if it was a kristal weizen colour but its very light for a hefe, nice wafting carbonisation. Pretty decent head. Which dissipates to a thick foamy head with nice lacing. Was expecting a little more from a wheat beer. Some decent lacing.

Smell: Banana smells strong while it’s cool, as it warms up the coriander and cloves become more prevalent and the banana takes a back seat. Caramel malts. Piney hops. All the hallmarks of a nice wheat beer.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Taste is quite dull. Not much remains of those great smells. Some spices and hop character is still there. Fresh wheat and malt mix. Quite strong carbonisation but the brew flows down smooth, the whole mix is quite thick down the throat. The aftertaste is much better. With that banana showing up again and some definite coriander. Just a touch of bitterness on the edges of the palate.

Drinkability/Overall: Easy to drink. Goes down easy on a hot day. A bit to watery when it comes to taste. Best Aussie Heffe ive found to date, easy.

2.93/5  rDev -8.4%

the long narrow neck ensures a turbulent pour. once settled into the three stooges mug, a large white frothy head appears. this settles after a minute to a covering lace.
the beer is more a cloudy light yellow and hazy than showing that usual hefe yeast sediment. checking the empty bottle shows that the sediment that is left behind is very fine.

the aroma came across as coriander spice at first. getting more a clove now, with not so much banana. i love me some banana in a hefe. some yeastiness as well.

taste seems to be missing some sharpness. plenty of spice and yeast character, but seems to come across fairly bland. might be a side effect of the mouthfeel which seems slightly slick.

overall, gets a bit boring after a while. there are plenty of great german wheats around but would like to try this again some time down the track.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last