Keefe's Irish Stout | Granite Brewery (Halifax)

Awaiting 10 Reviews

Granite Brewery (Halifax)
Nova Scotia, Canada | website

Style: Irish Dry Stout

A black and bitter stout with a burried hint of sweetness. It pours with a thick creamy head that is said to support currency. This is a true Irish Stout.

Added by Absumaster on 08-11-2006

Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 12
Reviews by graybayou:

2.99/5  rDev -14.1%

I drank this beer at the brewpub in Halifax. The color was pitch black with a very fine head that looked like velvet.

Smell was sharp and reminded me of old coffee and smelly socks. According to the brewer who was present, this is the normal smell, he could not smell anything strange. For me it was a serious off-smell.

Taste was better but I could still taste the socks. The beer was dry and burned with a lot of coffee, a bit too much for me. There was also some chocolate in there. A good bitterness finished the beer.

A bit disappointing beer for me.

3.79/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev +8.9%

Excellent stout, relatively low ABV and very drinkable.

Even in the growler it produces a nice creamy head (pour hard) and has a nice roast profile. It seems a bit light in the body for the ABV, but it is compensated for by the fact that even the growler comes off a beer gas mix.

I really enjoyed this stout. A good solid example of the style.

3.24/5  rDev -6.9%

Had on tap at the Henry House, an establishment formely owned by the Granite, still serving their beers.

Appearance: Arrives at my table a dark black colour with a big, fine, creamy off white head that stayed the duration of the drink.

Aroma: Black roasted malt, a bit of coffee. I understand what the previous review meant by smelly socks. There is a sour scent in there but it is not overly bad.

Taste: Black malt, not overly roasted in flavour. Sour flavour with a mild bitter finish. Pretty dry. Not overly flavourful.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light bodied, creamy. Not much carbonation.

Final Statement: Modeled after Guinness for sure. A dry stout with some sourness. Not much flavour, quaffable if you're in to stouts. I know for a fact that the Halifax Granite does not regularly wash their tap lines, with that being said, I've still never had an undrinkable stout at this place.

3.66/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

pint poured at the Lions Head in Halifax oct8 2010

A they served it in a frosted glass but it looks pretty dark with cascading bubbles that that end up as a dense tan foam that caked my glass with lace

S milk chocolate and a little raisin, faint but fine

T what I smell but with a hint of coffee and it's a little sweet for a dry stout, decent though just not strong flavors

M a little thin but very smooth, perhaps a little too cold from the tap

D an enjoyable beer got a little better as it warmed but I didn't have enough time to try a second but I would have had another if time wasn't a factor

I'm a little sad this is the only Granite beer I got to try on my trip. I know they were on tap at quite a few places but I only found the one bar and we had places to be that day.

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -6.6%

3.75/5  rDev +7.8%

3.58/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Keefe's Irish Stout from Granite Brewery (Halifax)
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.