Tucher Kristall Weizen | Brauerei Tucher Brau

tucher.de

Style: Kristalweizen

Added by kbub6f on 08-16-2001

2.38/5  rDev -36.5%

I am a great fan of Hefe Weizen beers, and was interested in trying this as it seems to be a popular selling bottled beer in the States (being a UK visitor) But never seen it in the UK.

Sorry to have to say, that this must be - for me anyhow - the most disappointing Hefe Weizen I have ever tasted. Very pale colour, but filtered and thus clean, has the aroma of a Hefe Weizen but much less pronounced than usual. Taste is extremely bland, only a pale reflection of what a good Hefe Weizen can be, very thin and watered down. I can only discribe it as though its a 'lite' or 'diet' version of a true Hefe beer! Rather like drinking Minute Maid Lemonade in comparsion to their Lite Diet version of Lemonade....ugh....tasteless and thin!

Being light in texture it is easy to drink, but being so bland its just boring.

I was really surprised, as I find German beers are usually so very good, but sorry, this is a very disappointing. Give me Andechs, Schneider, Wiehenstephener, Weltenburger any day!!

John W (Bham UK)

2.4/5  rDev -36%

Had this one right before having the Dunkel Weizen.. I didnt care for it much... definatley a better taste then american made weizens to me but not my cup of tea... apperance and smell were very good... i had to try it though and it wasnt the worst of course but probably would try it again sometime down the road...

2.41/5  rDev -35.7%

This was a clear yellow brew that had a good-sized head. I would have expected it to be cloudy, but it wasn't.

All I could smell in the nose was skunkiness. I thought perhaps it had gone bad, or they weren't hopping properly.

The taste was similarly skunky. Flat-out bad. Not that much bitterness, which would have slightly redeemed the aroma.
Their dunkel hefeweizen is one to try, but this one is one to be avoided.

2.42/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Light and clear as a Kristall should be.

Smell: Lacking in banana ester. Smells grainy

Taste: Minimal phenolic and estery flavors. Taste is more like a helles lager than a weiss bier.

Mouthfeel: carbonation is too high for this style and dulls out the classic weizen flavors even more.

Drinkability: Drinkable but not really enjoyable. Weihenstephaner has a much better example of this style.

2.68/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.78/5  rDev -25.9%

I bought a bottle of this simply due to my experience the previous evening with the Hefe. I was stuck in something close to beer hell: Orlando. Well, this beer was barely better than nothing. The beer had a typical golden appearance, with a minimal head. The aroma was also virtually non-existent. The taste was more pils than weizen, with a slight sharpness that reminded me of sterling hops. The mouthfeel was average, and the beer was very well carbonated. The drinkability was a little less than average. I struggled to finish one, and I don't plan on buying another. I also don’t plan on returning to the home of the Giant Rat any time soon either....

2.87/5  rDev -23.5%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

I'm a big fan of the Hefe-Weizen style (although as I recall I didn't much care for the Tucher), and my local liquor store was carrying these in 16-oz singles, so I bought one of these and one of the Dunkel-Weiss for tasting purposes. Maybe most of my enjoyment of the Hefe style comes from the yeast, because I found this beer so bland as to be almost undrinkable.

Appearance threw me a bit (my first Kristal Weizen), because with a Weizen I expect a cloudy, dark-yellow look. I knew that a Kristal wouldn't be the same way, but I was amazed at the light yellow clarity of the brew. I could probably have read newsprint straight through it. Used a standard Weizen glass for the tasting, like any other Weiss it produced a nice thick foamy head that almost overwhelmed the glass, although I found that it dissipated much more quickly than the Hefes I've tasted.

The smell drew me in quite nicely -- a subdued but everpresent mix of citrusy aromas and creamy fruitiness. Sniffing this brew, even as the beer went on and the head started to dissipate, was my favorite experience involved with this brew.

Unfortunately, the taste threw me for a loop. Perhaps the yeast in most Hefes keeps the flavor inside, because this beer very quickly disappointed me in its lack of flavor. None of the cloves or citrus taste that I generally expect from a good Weizen; this beer really didn't taste like much of anything. Even swishing it in my mouth and letting the foam build didn't really add anything to the taste. Color me disappointed.

Mouthfeel was a bit better. The beer did have a nice foamy aftertaste, and despite the watery consistency, I found it pleasurable and easy as far as the texture was concerned. Bittnerness was low, and the beer finished nicely even if it wasn't too impressive taste-wise.

It's a pretty drinkable beer, I'd have to say, despite what I'd consider a substandard taste. I might think that this would be a "gateway" beer for people who only drink adjunct lagers, but really you'd miss out on all the flavors of a good hefe with this. My overall impression was kinda, "eh," but I think that the beer isn't really bad enough that I couldn't drink a couple if I had them readily available.

I worried at first that I might have gotten a bad bottle, as Great Spirits doesn't seem to do a lot of business in singles, but I couldn't taste any skunk to this beer and I think that it tasted the way it was supposed to taste -- I think I just didn't care for it. If I have the opportunity to try a few more Kristals in the coming weeks (my liquor store only carries this one), I will see if my opinion changes and possibly re-review. Otherwise, I must give a largely negative review to this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

This beer pours a very bright yellow color with a large, but quickly dissipating, head. The aroma is the same as a weiss/wheat beer. Very grainy nose. The flavor is that of a wheat beer with some added spices for a little extra flavor. If you're a fan of weiss beers, you should try this one.

2.95/5  rDev -21.3%

After trying their Heffe, was eager to try other beers in the line.
Pours in the classic wheat style, foamy with aroma of banana/apples.
Slight bubblegum after taste, but a bit weak.
Nothing special (from a quality brewer) but beats most of the Mass Producers 'run-off'...

2.99/5  rDev -20.3%

16.9 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a crystal clear yellow with a full white head, good retention, very impressive looking in a weizen glass.

S: Light banana, sweet bread, yellow apple.

T: Flavour is nice, but feels real watered down. Hint of banana, no real clove flavour. Bubblegum hits in the aftertaste.

M: Full carbonated body, smooth, fizzy, clean.

D: Kind of a letwdown after their regular Hefe was so good. No problem drinking it, just is pedestrian.

3.02/5  rDev -19.5%

A- Pours a clear golden yellow with a large white head and sticky lacing.

S- Slight hint of banana with wheat and a slight spice

T/M- Taste is fairly bland, has a clove taste which is nice but not much else. Not to carbonated which makes for a nice mouth feel?

D- This is very easy to drink; it will not knock you off your feet, but is a nice good brew.

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into a 22 oz pilsner glass.

Clear kristal yellow; almost a clear lemonade color with a nice rocky two inch head and thick lace.

Smell is not pronounced; smells fresh with just a hint of yeasty esters and noble hop.

Taste is very thin and watery but refreshingly crisp with a slight hop bite and a quick dry finish.

Drinkable like a good glass of water. I would seek this out on a extremely hot and humid day where you want to alternate between beer and hidration.

3.05/5  rDev -18.7%

3.12/5  rDev -16.8%

3.14/5  rDev -16.3%

Aroma is fairly strong, yeasty and wheaty with just a touch of citrus. It pours a rather wan clear yellow, but at least it has a fairly thick and persistent white head. Flavor is typical for a wheat beer, yeasty and a little thick with more than a hint of lemon, pleasant if not outstanding. Texture is smooth and refreshing and a little tingly.

3.16/5  rDev -15.7%

pours clear straw with a 1 finger white head

smell is a bit skunky malts and banana

taste is slightly metalic bready malts and suprisingly no banana??

mouthfeel was good and sharp light and crisp

drinkability is so so since the beer i drank before this one was weihenstephaner version which was amazing

overall i am glad i bought this but weihenstephaner is a superior beer

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%

Dryish wheat beer from Nurnberg that loses some points in aroma and complexity to its 'big' counterparts like Schneider or Franziskaner.

Color is pale, crown smaller than average, spritzy nose, slender body, taste crisp and refreshing, bitter-sour finish.

Yeah, it's dry, but we expect richer taste from Bavarian Weizen.

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a clear golden pale, huge white head that mosty lasts, leaves good lacing. Lot's of tiny bubbled carbonation present in the body. Aroma is soft, mostly citric (lemon/lemon peel), some banana. Flavor is sour, citric, light amounts of banana. Thin mouthfeel, very bubbly (maybe even "spritzy"). Definately takes a back seat to the Helles Hefe, IMO.

3.21/5  rDev -14.4%

16.9 ounce bottle - $2.79 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours clear, golden in appearance, with a tall, foamy, whitish head.

Smell: Sweetish nose, smelling of malted wheat, natch, with a faroff hint of lemon drop candy.

Taste: Middling maltiness, lightly wheaty, with very, very, very small touches of light-colored caramel and honey. Moderately sweet. Near nil lemon included, but, sorry, not really picking up any spice, banana, hop character, and bitterness. Just a fairly clean beer throughout. Sweetish taste of honey wheat loaf on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Medium (just barely) carbonation.

Overall: About average for a kristalweizen, and, when tried side-by-side with Tucher's underpowered hefe, I preferred actually this.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25