Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster | Motor City Brewing Works

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.28/5  rDev -2.7%

2.28/5  rDev -32.3%

3.32/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: No "smoke" on opening. Brown. Cloudy. 1/8" off-white head, fades quickly. Proper for style, but sediment cloudiness is not appropriate. Maybe my fault for disturbing sediment on the pour.[When you don't pour in the yeast, is a clear very dark amber/light brown. Little head, but what it has it retains right to the bottom. Little lacing. Modest carb.].

Aroma: Funky, malty, sour, yeasty, "dirty" smell. Needs to warm up. Sour milk. After it warms: slightly sweet, slightly roasty, malty, slightly sour. [Revisited 9-4-15: still really funky! Like an earthy, moldy, sweet caramel; toasty malt. Very stereotypical "English" hop. I can't tell whether I love it or hate it.]

Taste: Clean, slightly tart. Little flavor; needs to warm up. Improves as it warms. Slightly sour, ever so slightly roasty, bitter, earthy finish. Clean finish. Is this biscuity? [Enjoyed warm, this is a gem. Really malty, estery, fruity flavors mix together with toasted malt, and a really pleasant, albeit mild, bitterness. Really the most flavorful beer at 4.2% I've ever had.]

Mouthfeel: Highly effervescent. Light [to medium].

Overall: Don't bother with this until it's almost room temperature. Nice, but I have had other English Ales I would buy first. [Still true, although this one was WAY better than the last bottle I had. This has a real earthy complexity, perhaps coming from the yeast strain used. The earthy/funky/moldy thing is getting to me; it smells like a basement.]

4.2/5  rDev +24.6%

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Appearance from the bottle is a very dark amber , with a white biscuity head

Smell - not getting much hops , smells like bread crust , biscuits, a hint of sweetness after it warmed in my snifter, first poured smell was nonexistent and cold had more of a yeast smell.

Taste. Not sure what to expect from this style to be honest. it has A slight taste of that from a Bock ,but more biscuit and more of bread type flavor profile Some earthiness flavor similar to a fresh uncooked mushroom. Something going on in the finish like a soap and slight pepper bite from the yeast?

Mouth feel , thin light , refreshing, but that soap flavor in the end sticks around to long for my liking

Overall not bad, I received it for free and have seen it on shelves recently and have been wanting to try it for some time. After tasting it now I would recommend trying it once, I would not buy this though after this review. Something about that flavor on the end of the taste just is not to my liking, It reminds me of drinking Malt Licky sort of ?

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

4.25/5  rDev +26.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Received as an extra in a trade and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice crystal clear darker brown/copper hue with a thin one finger head that fades to leave a light quarter inch blanket along with light side lacing.

S - Aromas of darker malts, toast, biscuits, faint caramel, lightly fruity.

T - Taste is bready, light the crust of the bread. Faint caramel, lightly bitter. VERY english. Alcohol is nonexistent.

M - Mouthfeel is on the thinner side, which I guess is to be expected.

O - Overall, I was floored by this beer. I was expecting a drain pour due to the rAvg but yeah, this is a VERY good representation of what this style SHOULD be. Well done.

Motor City Brewing Ghettoblaster from Motor City Brewing Works