Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged) | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged)Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged)

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States
captainlawrencebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Availability: Spring

Enhanced with Brettanomyces

Added by Billolick on 03-18-2007

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Damnit, damnit, damnit. I read 20 times about the gushing bottles and had been planning on how to best deal with it and then it all slipped my mind as I casually popped the bottle. As it all gushed out, I did the ol' "Doh!" and grabbed another glass to fill. I only lost a wee bit.

Pours pitch black with a tan head that sticks around (surprise). Lots of lacing on the way down as well. Nose is strong with wood tones. Sweet wood tones. Flavor is intense. The wood that's in this is so deep, it's not just proper to say it's wood. This is the living wood that rests well below the bark of the aged trees you might find. Almost a berry tone to it as well. But it's just thick. Almost like the most robust blackberry you could ever find - multiplied by 20. Carbonation is smooth and the liquid is good too. This is very easy to drink, but I am going to say that this could use at least another year to age and mellow. Still pretty nice though. What were the type of barrels used here? Merlot? I can't remember, but that'd be my guess.

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%

Thanks to Baldycmu for this one.

This beer is super-carbonated. I was forewarned, so I had it extremely well-chilled but it was still impossible to pour without a huge tan head.

Smell: The beer smells fruity, a little like grape juice, and not much else. Not a very appealing smell.

Taste: Tastes more like a grape soda then a beer. Definitely some oak, and finally at the end some alcohol flavor and a little roasted malt comes through. I had high hopes for this, but it just is not working for me. Maybe it needs to be cellared for a while to let the wine flavors mellow? I don't know.

Drinkability: One is more than enough. I guess if I liked it I could keep drinking it...

I commend Captain Lawrence for trying new things, but this seems to miss the mark. Maybe if they brewed several batches in new & old wine barrels, then blended them, the result would be better. But with this beer the wine barrel flavors have taken over the beer rather than enhancing the flavors that should already be there.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Batch 2; Sampled May 2008
I knew this might be a gusher and I still lost a couple ounces to my counter and sing. A soft pour still produces four-fingers of head in my glass plus another two fingers above the rim. The head is a tight, creamed-chocolate, tan color and the beer is a dark-chocolate brown / black color that is quite opaque even when held up to the light. As I pour this brew a nice wine-influenced aroma wafts to my nose. A deeper inspection yields ample Brettanomyces influence with notes of sweat, musty horse-blanket notes, butyric acid and a sharp-yet-light tartness. Underneath the more dominant funkiness is are some porter notes of toasted grain, lightly roasted coffee beans and if you smell the beer in a sideways sort of fashion (figuratively of course) there is a substantial, bright berry like wine character, a touch of jam and some leather and tobacco notes to this beer. The smoked malt aromatics have almost completely been subsumed by the other aromas, but there is perhaps a touch of saltiness here that could be attributed to it.

Lightly sweet tasting up front with a middle that has a nice berry-like wine character to it that just barely makes its presence known. A lot of the carbonation was lost during the initial gushing and in the 5+ minutes it has sat in my glass, it is still well carbonated though and this combines with a fairly light body to make this pretty easy drinking. The funk is a bit more muted in the flavor than in the aroma, but the Brett influence definitely comes out in the finish; musty, light notes of phenolic soaked cotton balls, butyric acid notes, some acidity that accentuates the wine character and a woody mushroom note. This finishes with a mix of fruit-driven wine flavors, and some porter flavors of toasted grain, roasted malts, toasted bread-like flavors and a touch of burnt grain bitterness. The actual oak contribution here is soft; there is some spicy oak character towards the finish, and a touch of tannic character seems to influence the texture, but it remains a supporting cast member here, which I quite like.

My second pour still has an incredible level of carbonation, this makes me realize how velvety the texture of this beer really is. Despite being very well carbonated the beer feels quite smooth and velvet-like all while foaming up as it crosses the tongue; quite an interesting textural experience that I don't believe I have ever experienced in a beer before. I can't taste any smokiness in this brew at all & I wonder if he left the smoke malt out of this brew completely.

This is by far my favorite of the from the oak beers so far. This doesn't have any heavy-handed hard liquor competing with the funkiness that I really found jarring in the other two versions of this I have had. Instead the wine barrel influence works quite well with both the Brettanomyces and the base porter. I really like the fruit notes that the wine barrel aging have added to this beer, it is nothing heavy, but most certainly a welcome addition to up the complexity of this brew. Sans the slight wine influence, this is exactly as I would imagine an old, pre 1900s, unblended, stale porter would have been like (sans the modern malt formulation of course). This is just a great marriage of funkiness & barrel influence with porter. If it wasn't so explosive already I would love to age some more of this. I definitely came into this with a bit of skepticism, but this has delivered and I am quite happy with this brew; this makes me really want to try the Port-Barrel version.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Opens quite lively, gushes out upon opening all over the counter as I rush to the sink and begin pouring. Pours a dark cola brown with a large light brown head that recedes slowly with some decent lacing. Final pour shows some yeasty goodness. Aroma has a strong nutmeg and vanilla aroma, almost like freshly made eggnog. This eggnog sweetness blends well with a red wine tartness. Taste follows the aroma with some of the eggnog sweetness and the red wine tartness, decent wood flavor in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium in body, somewhat creamy, nice and dry in the finish. Very good beer, the nutmeg / vanilla aroma and flavor is unique and tasty as well. Thanks to the few great traders who sent me a sample of this.

2.95/5  rDev -26.6%

Thankfully hyland read about the spillage factor and we did not lose much on the opening at all. Poured from bomber to goblet a redish black with a minimal head. Smelled like merlot and cherries, no sense of smoke though. Tasted like red wine and cherry soda. It was overly carbonated and thin to my disapointment. My pal hyland had been hyping this one up big time for a week as it sat in my fridge. When we finally opened it I was let down. I have heard it may get better with age? I will buy another bottle and hide it away for a few months, hopefully it will be better.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

This was another very special offering I was able to enjoy at a Captain Lawrence event at the Blind Tiger in NYC recently. I saw that they had this beer on cask and went straight for it. I'd had a bottle of it in the past and enjoyed it a great deal, so I was really looking forward to trying it fresh off the cask.

The appearance was a fairly flat black with very little head and not much to it--no surprise for a cask porter like this--but it did have a slight ruby hue when held up to the light. The smell began to introduce the winey undercurrents in the beer, but the sour and grapey notes of the merlot barrels really hit the pallet upon taking the first sip. After a quick and sour assault, the flavor mellows and allows the depth and smokiness of the porter itself to come through, giving this beer an ideal balance.

After I'd had this and another offering (the Golden Delicious on draft!), I ordered whatever their other cask brew was. The server screwed up and gave me another glass of the Smoke from the Oak off the cask. I didn't complain at all, and indeed cherished the rare opportunity to soak in the unique joys of this sublime brew once more. There's a reason I put this bad boy up as my avatar--it's got to be the best beer I've ever tasted!!!

Cheers!
Taddy

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch #2.

A: Black, very black. With a nice thick tan head. This thing erupted when I opened it. It was actually kinda exciting.

S: Super ripe cherries up front. Also sour apples, raspberries, unripened grapes and lots of malts.

T: Beautiful. Lots and lots of flavors. Bitter and sour. Apples, CHERRIES, MALTS, CHOCOLATE and a little coffee & nuts.

M: A little fizzy. But this hasn't sat at all.

D: This is an Elite Brew. Super complex. But to put it simple, it taste like a chocolate covered sour/black cherry, w/ a coffee bean in the center. It is delicious. I can't wait to try this in a year or so.

3.44/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a bomber into a goblet. I heeded the warnings I read on the Ba website and opened this bad boy over a bowl losing only a few mouthfulls. The beer poured brownish black with red hues leaving a 1/2 inch head and circles of brown lacing on the glass after the first few sips. The smell was cherries, oak, and red wine. The taste was sour cherries, port wine, and oak flavors with minimal smoke. This beer was much too carbonated for my liking. Thin and sticky mouthfeel. I was actually very dissappointed by this beer. I tried the Captain Lawrence smoke porter on draught at TAP fest NY and was blown away. Couldnt wait to get my hands on this one. Unfortunately it took on a bit too much of the wine flavors from the barrel. Im sure that was a positive for most but I prefer the smokiness which I did not get a lot of. A decent beer just not what I was hoping for.

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle acquired direct from the brewery in early April. (I've also got some for trade.)

DO BE CAREFUL opening this one. Reports are true... CL has built a mini celebration geyser into each bottle. I opened mine over a large bowl and had two pint glasses ready. Therefore I only lost a few drops.

A: Pours a dark opaque brown with a huge frothy and foamy tan colored head that hangs around a couple of minutes before settling.

S: Oh my god, does this beer have one hell of a nose. Strong smell of merlot, sour cherries, dark fruits and what not. Not really picking up much of the smokiness, but there is some subtle oak. You have to smell this brew, seriously. The nose is almost worth it if even if you're not a porter guy.

T: This thing tastes just like the nose, strong taste of sour cherries with lingering dry wine, oaky finish. Very unique. Never tasted anything like this. I cannot easily describe it.

M: Really bubbly from carbonation -- like setlzer. I'd say its medium body at best. Bubbles flood the mouth, tingling on the tonque even after you swallow. Loads of carbonation here.

D: You know, I'm really not a porter guy at all and this beer definitely doesn't stand as an exception to my liking. But as someone who can appreciate the craft, I have to say this is one of the most unique beers I've ever tasted.

I plan to age one of these and see how it tastes in about six months.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

Pours a near black color with a huge light brown head that dissipated into a nice cap. I waited 2 weeks before opening this bottle but it still gushed a bit; didn't lose too much though. The aroma is tart and funky, smells like oak wine barrels and very light smoke. The taste starts off tart, with wine characteristics and sour cherries. Towards the end there are hints of roasted malt and slight smoke. I was expecting more of a smokey flavor. The feel is well bodied with fizzy carbonation; finishes dry and tart. A very nice porter that really takes on the characteristics of the wine barrels. A bit too much for my liking. I was expecting more of a malt presence and definitely more of a smokey flavor. Still recommended.

4.3/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle, Batch #2

heard rumors of this one being a gusher and oh god what it. Opened the cap very slowly and it just started shooting out....wish I had it over a bowl or something as I must have lost near a third of the bottle to the intense eruption that ensued.

Poured a deep dark cola black. When held up to the light only the faintest amount of garnet sneaks through at the areas near the top. A huge dark tan head crowned the surface.

Mmmmm the smell is great. Very winey, tart, a little funky, dark fruit, cherries, some dark cocoa. Lovely.

The taste is great on this one. Cherries, tart funky, almost causes you to pucker a slight bit. Faint vanilla, caramel, some cocoa, raisins, a bit of the coffee smokiness comes in on the finish, but it's hardly noticable. It's amazing to me how drastically the wine barrel has altered the smoked porter. I think the wine barrel's have transformed it far more than any of the other barrels used in these projects have

Smooth silky body, with very faint carbonation. Very slight dryness on the finish.

Very drinkable. Without a doubt this is for me the best of the Smoke from the Oak series. Fantastic! I have another bottle chilling in the cellar and look forward to breaking that out in perhaps a years time. My hopes are that it gets even a bit more tart and funky.

4.95/5  rDev +23.1%

What can I say about this? I really did not even think I was going to get a bottle of this, but my sis went up to Jersey for the weekend and brought me back a few. Needless to say when she showed up at the door with them I was a tad excited. I had heard in advance of the problems with the over carbonation so I let one sit in the fridge for a couple days before opening and was lucky enough to avoid any problems with it. So the lovely 750ml bottle got poured into my over sized wine glass for a nice after dinner snack.

Appearance - The pour was extraordinary. Really just breathtaking with how good this one looked. A rich dark brown, nearly black emerged from the bottled and rattled around the inside of the glass producing a nice three inch high head f tan colored foam. A full blossoming head that stayed all the way through the session, never getting rocky or having any cratering done to it, rather it just slowly settled down and left behind tons of side glass lace that seemed to get thicker the further into the session we proceeded.

Smell - The aroma was nothing short of fantastic. The first notes to hit you were the nice sour funk that was present from the barrels. Really just a very nice sour and tart aroma that overpowered everything else and really took me by surprise coming from a big porter. There were some nice underlying hints of chocolate and coffee as well; making this one of the most interesting style crosses I think I have come across. I mean a rich imperial porter, smoked, aged in sour wine barrels. It was just as good as it sounded, wonderfully complex and unique, I could have had this made into a candle it was so good!

Taste - Well I do not even know what to say about this. It was just remarkable and very interesting from the first sip. The smoky flavor starting to come through in here now, after being nearly absent in the aroma. Nice chocolate malts and hints of roasted coffee throughout as well. This was a nice sweet porter, and I even could pick up hints of vanilla way in the back. However, once it hit about the middle of the sip, wow that sour note just really kicked in. These must have been one hell of a set of barrels this was aged in as they were all over the flavor as well. The finish even was dominated by a long drawn out sour flavor that really just was just the icing on the cake. Very nice indeed and definitely in a class of its own.

Mouthfeel - This was a nice robust porter with a medium Mouthfeel and as you could imagine, absolutely awesome carbonation. A nice velvet like smooth feel going down, the bubbles tingled your tongue and kept it active throughout. There was a nice dry feeling in the finish. I have to admit, I was again really surprised with how well this went down.

Drinkability - This was outstandingly drinkable, I literally could have had this one all day long! It was just the ideal drinker, with a medium body, the alcohol all but gone and that nice sour bite that was perfectly laid in without being overbearing, I could not have asked for this to have come off any better.

Overall I think I am in love with this beer. I would be hard-pressed to trade any of the ones I have left as this was really just too good to imagine. I have longer for a big sweet porter with a sour bite like that. Really just great. If you can get up there to get this one, you really need to, it was just that good!

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Rciesla for hooking me up with this one.

1 pint, 9.4 fl oz poured into a snifter. Batch no. 2.

I got the email from Scott saying to refrigerate this for at least a day before opening to keep it from gushing. Well it was in the fridge for two days and still managed to overflow and create a puddle of delicious beer on my kitchen counter. Oh well, there's still plenty left in the bottle to enjoy :)

Pours a complete black with a full one finger brown colored head that dies down to a good layer of bubbles. Nice webbing left behind on the sides of the glass. Smell is pretty funky, I didn't expect it to be sour, but boy is it. A good amount of merlot with some bitter chocolate. Very faint charred wood and pine in the nose as well. Very quick roasted barley on the tongue quickly taken over by sour apples and grapes that linger throughout. Chocolate, bitter coffee, and oaky goodness towards the end that leaves the tongue a bit dry. Big complex flavors from start to finish, very nicely done. Medium to full body with a fluffy feel and a prickly carbonation. Curious to know what the abv is on this one. Even though the wine is there, it's not boozy and obnoxious by any means. Better than the Rum version for sure, looking forward to the Bourbon version next.

3.68/5  rDev -8.5%

EXPLOSION CITY!!! Half the bottle ended up on the carpet. I emailed Captain Lawrence and if they make it up, I'll revise this review.

A: Dark brown body with a bit of light penetrating at the edges, but not through the center. A bit of head is an understatement, considering half the bottle was head.

S: Nice sour aroma dominates and no smoke is detectable.

T: The smoke is more detectable in the flavor. There is a bit of fruitness from the wine as well. The sour kicks in mid palate and lasts.

M: Fairly light bodied for a porter but the bugs will thin it out.

D: I can't give it great drinkability because I only got to drink half the bottle.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Bottle a bottle from the brewery.

A-Aside fromt the fact that I too had some trouble once a popped the top, poured a fantastic dark brown with a hint of red. Nice tan head with great lace as I drank

S-Great notes of chocolate red wine, coffee, smoke, cherry (almost a tart smell)

T- Intially sip was a bit tart, but got less and less as it warmed. Could definitely taste the smoked porter in there and the wine barrel aging came through with all the a nice grape flavor.

M/D- All in all a smooth beer and a great beer to take your time with and enjoy.

4.55/5  rDev +13.2%

Batch 2 acquired right from the source. Open this one over the sink, lots of people, including myself are having some serious overflowing on opening. I lost almost 1/4 of the bottle of this delicious stuff.

A: A very dark brown, with a dark red where the light shines through. A thick, lasting tan head, with amazing lacing.

S: The smoky, roasted porter shines through in the scent, as well as a heavy grape wine scent (I don't know wine, but merlot I believe). Slightly malty and a bit of coffee.

T: Such a complex taste. The slight sour of the wine hits you hard first, I really thought I was drinking a wine, but then the porter comes in and reminds me what I'm drinking. Sip after sip the flavors balanced out, with more chocolate and coffee coming out.

M: Feels fairly thick, with nice mild carbonation. Very smooth, with a lingering dry tartness

D: This took me a while to drink. Maybe I was just savoring it. Possibly the tart flavors of the wines. Not a bad thing, this is one to enjoy for a while

EDIT: An email from Scott:
I have had a few people contact me about bottles gushing beer upon opening. This is a highly carbonated beer by design, and will gush if opened when not properly chilled... think of a bottle of champagne if opened warm. Please allow this beer to chill in the fridge for at least a day prior to opening. There is also yeast on the bottom of the bottle, like all of our bottled beers, and this must have time to settle in order to avoid the CO2 "jumping" out of the bottle.

4.69/5  rDev +16.7%

Batch 2 consumed on the occasion of bwyker's ambitious brew day. We inadvertently paid tribute to our hommies due to hyper-carbonation upon opening.

A- Poured a deep brown with rich copper highlights. Nice fluffy coffee coloured head which lasts for a long time. Sexy.

S- Chocolate & merlot. Lots of malt. Again, sexy.

T- This is not what I'd anticipated at all. Very strong presence of the merlot & wood. The smoke is almost all but gone. There's just a touch left in the initial taste and the fumes.

M- A little full-bodied for a porter, but appropriate with the heavy wine flavors imparted by the wood.

D- The heavy wine flavors prohibit quick consumption of this beer. Consume as you would a fine merlot.

Again, another masterpiece from Captain Lawrence

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle consumed during brew day.
Batch 2.

A: Super dark brown on the verge of being black. Quite a bit of slightly off white tannish head. Decent amount of lacing. Be warned. This bottle gushed like crazy when it was opened and it was at 50 degrees so open over the sink.

S: Merlot really dominated this one. The porter is still in there but the wine has choked much of the life out of it.

T: Merlot up front again then you got hints of the porter. The taste and mouthfeel were very dry. Once it warmed up some then you got more of the porter in the way of some roasted tastes and hints of fruit as well from the barrel. No hints of funk as of yet but this bottle is still very fresh. The smoke is all but gone. The Pleasantville Smoked porter is not a very smoky beer to begin with though. Really interesting beer. So comlplex every sip yielded something different.

M: The mouthfeel was super dry like a red wine. Tartness as part of the mouthfeel? Why not.

D: Definitely a sipper as the beer is so complicated. Would love to try this on cask if that would ever be possible. Another great beer from Captain Lawrence.

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

750 ml bottle acquired in a trade with radiorandy, thanks for giving me the opportunity to try this unique beer, batch one, poured into my Russian River pint glass

A-Extremely dark brown color but not quite black, two inch creamy light tan head that left a pillow on top of the liquid, great retention, awesome lacing all the way through too

S-Red wine, roasted malt, burned toffee, some caramel, faint coffee aroma, smokiness, cherries, grapes, vinegar, milk chocolate, sweet fruit, and funk

T-Initially felt the wine with a tartness at the very beginning, then a dry and creamy porter in the middle, followed by some more sour accents, tart became less strong as time went by unfortunately, could taste a little coffee and cocoa later, aftertaste became drier with pretty much each sip, taste was like not close to anything I have experienced in the past, would never have thought these two would mix so well

M-Dry and tart mouthfeel, medium to thick bodied, nice level of carbonation, taste lingered for about two minutes, creamy texture and somewhat sour feel was unique

D-Could have drank the entire bottle but chose not to, not too heavy on the stomach, seems like the alcohol woould be high but the bottle or website does not say, smooth, easy to drink, alcohol is hidden

Last of the Captain Lawrence beers in my cellar and it defintely gave Cuvee de Castleton a run for its money if not beating it, never had anything like this before, would definitely drink again in the future, recommended

4.18/5  rDev +4%

Pours almost opaque, deep dark brown with ruby hues near the edges. A huge stiff light tan head that decomposes much like an ice cream float.

The smell is primarily smokey. Beneath the smoke, an acidic grape wine and if you stay with it past that, a milk chocolate and roasty porter.

The mouth feel is immediately bitter then the alcohol from the wine kicks through. That's enough complexity for me already but the timid yet lingering chocolate of the porter tiptoes in. The second mouthful is much more telling after being 'conditioned'. The milky roast porter makes a stand against sharp (or sour?) wine. Very interesting; scores imagination points! At the bottom now and there is still plenty of foam and it really adds a creamy texture to the whole thing.

Noteworthy and interesting drinker! Highly recommend it. I've gotta say that it's probably not worth sticking it into a box called "American Porter". Unless the "American" part of that is interpreted to be "with a lot of attitude!". This is the first 'sour' beer that i've had that i can't wait to experience again. The ABV is ???, but i'm guessing that it's double digits. Many thanks to WesWes for the trade!

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%

Perfect appearence, evidence of the natural nature. Glorious head and dark brown color. Mild aroma, showcasing a bit of oak , chocolate, smoke and red wine. Flavor is nicely balanced and enjoyable, but could be a bit more amped up. It’s not very concentrated or very flavorful in general. It’s an impressively made and unique beer, but the finished product is just ok. This is one of the few instances that the beer might have been aged a bit too long in oak. Very little character of the original beer comes through, and I think that would be a welcome element. Still, I am impressed with Captain Lawrence thusfar.

4.47/5  rDev +11.2%

Much thanks to hopdog for sharing this bottle that we compared next to the original Smoked Porter...
Appears black with dark brown edges when held to the light. A fluffy tan head slowly fades away. Scattered lace is left around the glass.
Smell is vinuous with light cherries, light vinegar, and oak with mild vanilla, caramel, and light cocoa.
Taste is of the aformentioned aromas. It's a very interesting mix of the smoked porter complexity mixed with the oak and wine making for a superb invention.
Mouthfeel is full bodied with light tartness, oak, and semi-dry finish.
Excellent stuff!

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

On tap at the Blind Tiger.

A- pours a dark chocoalte brown, nearly opaque. Nice fluffy coffee coloured head which lasts for a long time. This is a great looking beer.

S- Rich chocalte and sweet alcohol. Defiinite malt overpowerment. Very nice.

T- First you get the bitter roasted malt followed by an the sweetness of the alcohol followed up again with mild hops(English of some sort I think). Very well rounded though the alcohol may show through a little too much. The wood comes through in the aftertaste. Very interesting

M-Medium bodied, not too thin. This may be too thick for the style but I truly like it.

D-The alcohol is a bit too prominent for this to be easy drinking but it is quite tasty. I will try anything from this brewery now. A very interesting offering indeed

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

Thanks to ErikTheRed for giving me a bottle.
Dark..opaque , with a root-beer head that laces and falls to a foam.
Smells of vanilla , wine and wood.
Kind of a split personality when cold...a smokey porter initially and a geueze near the end. The two really merge nicely as it warms a bit. Roasty, smokey, caramel malt that is sweet and sour at the same time. A bretty funk kicks in... hints of vanilla , oak , wine and tobacco. There's more to it than that , but I can't really do it justice....suffice to say , a very complex tasty sipping ale that you'll want to spend the evening with.
The mouthfeel is nearly perfect...silky and smooth.
Another great brew from Scott V.

4.28/5  rDev +6.5%

Purchased on Saturday afternoon alongside ErikTheRed. Nice to meet fellow BAs out and about.

Pours a deep dark villainous charcoal into my snifter. Head comes a bubbling up to half an inch of cocoa-like seafoam and slowly subsides to just a light layer on top. A gentle swirl leaves a wonderful patchwork of dripping lace - if you are into that.

Aromas are strong - deeply laden with the grape character brought from the wine barrels. Oak works its way in as we approach room temperature. Another swirl and the light roasty smokey character wafts in and then back out again, like it has a date with Pam Anderson.

Smokey character sensed on inhale as it approaches my lips. Chocolate hits the front of my tongue, hints of oak, and quickly creeps fruity sweet and heads straight to the grape. Finishes with the transition to drunken raisins and into roasty smokey malts with some more oak on the back end. Has a nice moderate level of carbonation, enough to tickle the tongue here and there, and mouthfeel that sits just right in the middle of the spectrum.

This is quite good - every sip a new experience. Definitely drink this out of a snifter if you have one. I would have to say that Scott knows what he is doing and then some, duh. I would drive twice as far and pay twice as much for this; MY GOODNESS.

Smoke From The Oak (Wine Barrel Aged) from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.