Cuvee De Castleton | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

This is a beer that will make you rethink your definition of beer. It doesn’t taste like any beer you’ve ever had, yet it doesn’t taste like anything else either. Pushing the limits of brewing is what makes this job so much fun. Malted barley, wild yeast, hand picked Muscat Grapes, and French oak wine barrels are just a few of the things that wen into crafting this beer. Breathe deep, take a long sip, and enjoy the creation in your hand.

Added by Billolick on 05-12-2007

Reviews: 226 | Ratings: 537
4.27/5  rDev -1.4%

750 ml bottle with many thanks to littlebreeze and her ever-so-generous husband!

pours a urine yellow wiht a white head that goes away almost instantly. has champagne like bubbles coming up from the bottom but they dont hold in a head on the top at all. would look much nicer if they held the head.

smell was sour, woody, brett funk a little but not overwhelming, and a white grape skin scent

taste is sour with a white grape mid palate flavor, some subtle oak, tangy white grape, unripe pear, and some brett funk, although I tend to feel it is a little underdeveloped funkiness at this point. finishes with a slightly tart white wine flavor. overall a little sweetness balances well.

lots of carbonation but no head. it finishes leaving a coating on the back of my tongue which makes me want to clear my throat. If i had it with food I am sure this would be no issue.

Easy to drink, had no problem finishing off the entire 750 in about an hour. would pair great with a garlic and olive oil pasta, or a light seafood dish or fish. I would rate it a 5 for drinkability if it was readily available as that is the only draw back in drinkability IMO.

Dont mortgage the house, but seek this one out if you can.

Received this in a monster box from 6daysbottomocean in the Whale BIF 3. This is a 375ml bottle from batch 3. Thanks again!

Appearance- Pours a hazy bright straw color out of the bottle with lots of beading carbonation in the body of the beer. About a quarter finger of fizzy white head caps the beer and dies back in short order to a thin ring around the edges. Carbonation remains in beading throughout however.

Smell- Lots of mildly tart white wine grapes and a little bit of Granny Smith apple up front on the nose, with just a touch of funk. Some barrel mildly evident as well. Finishes with just a whiff of lactic acidity.

Taste- Similar to the nose in that I get a lot of slightly tart white wine/green grapes and grapeskin on the palate. Again a little bit of funk and some mild oak flavors from the barrel as well but nothing overwhelming in those departments. Finishes with a very mild tartness.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is adequate for the style and not over-carbonated, which was nice. Drinkability was quite decent as well as it went down easily and unoffensively.

Overall, a very solid and somewhat mild American wild ale. I enjoyed it and thought the flavor profile was somewhat similar to RR Temptation (however, I will say I think I prefer Temptation). Would be a good introduction to sours for somewhat who is beginning to enjoy the style but can't handle anything too acidic.

4.62/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Tasting: This was the fourth beer that we shared together. Courtesy of Dyan.

The appearance is really appealing to me. It pours an ultra hazy, lemon yellow. The beer sits still, with a small white ring of head at the top.

This smells magnificent. Very interesting floral notes mixes perfectly with sweet lemon. This beer smells like roses, and is very spritz and refreshing. Sweet orange scents hide behind the lemon. There is a really different funk element, as well as subtle musket grapes. Very unique, in that this beer smells sweet and dry.

The taste is outstanding, with very sweet lemon and horse blanket. This beer is a little spicy which has perplexed my taste buds. Fairly floral helps create a nice easy drink. Light cherry comes out in small amounts as the beer warms. Overall a very easy and smooth sour, one of my favorites on the day!

NOTE: Just had batch 3. Much better, more complex.

S: +.5, more pungent, super sour lemon with a really funky cheese scent.

T: +.5, very sour, horse blanket, tarter, nice cheese funkiness.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4, so I've been storing this one for a couple of years.

A: Brilliant golden color, with a small white head the dissolves into a ring. Wish there was a little retention. Effervescent. A little haze from the yeast.

S: Sweet and tart fruity smell, and with a strong brett kick. It's almost like a white wine mixed with brett, which now that I think about it is the point, I suppose.

T/M: Tart and funky. Lactic. Funky. Woody. Distinct grape flavor -- even more like white wine than I remember it being a couple of years ago. A little grainy on the finish, with a mild earthy bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and dry with low-ish carbonation.

O: Sad to finish off my last CdC, but beer is made for drinking, no? Excellent.

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%

A batch 3 bottle that was so generously shared by my good friend Kris, thanks man!

A: An extremely fizzy, hazy, golden hued beer that displayed a beautiful white fluffy head momentarily.

S: A strong tart punch upfront that's then followed by vanilla, wood, grape, apples, and a mixture of spices.

T: The sour and tart punch is much subdued, but still very much a large part of the overall flavor profile. What I like the most is the strong wood flavors and subtle notes of sweet malt, banana, lemon and vanilla.

M: A light bodied beer that has a decent amount of carbonation and some robust drying qualities, sometimes a bit too much.

D: If this were to come in a 750ml, I'm sure I would be able to polish it off quite easily.

Overall: Robust, complex and easy to drink; one of the better sours out there. Do yourself some justice and try this beer. Cheers!

4.09/5  rDev -5.5%

375ml green bottle - Batch 4 - Poured into a tulip...

Pours a bright golden orange color with one finger of very spritzy, fine white head, which recedes to nothingness very quickly. What is left is a still looking beer, similar to Indian Summer Apple Juice (my favorite). I don't like when beers look still...

Smell is initially tart and lemony. White grapes add some sweetness and makes this beer resemble sparking grape juice/champagne. Though no champagne I ever smelled has the subtle nuances this beer has. Lots of barnyard funk, the brett is very apparent here. Musty and dry with hints of oak. Very nice smelling beer, complex and balanced, bright and tart...

Tart and dry to start. Very dry, lemony with loads of white grapes, they add some sweetness and champagne/white wine-like characteristics. Dusty and musty, brett really shows through, as do some hints of oak. Tasty beer, tart and refreshing, funky and complex, but balanced and highly drinkable...

Medium bodied with low, but spritzy carbonation. Tart, not quite puckering, but a good level of astringent tartness. Finishes dry, making you want more...

Pretty good beer, gonna hang on to my other bottle for a while and see what this one is like with some age on it...

3.81/5  rDev -12%

Batch 4. 375 ml bottle shared by colonelforbin. Thanks Mike. Pours a hazy amber with no head and no lacing. The aroma is a sweet lemon zest, light brett funk, some white wine grapes, and some light hay. The initial taste is sweet with wine grape, then the brett funkiness comes in with some lemon and a bit of oak with the funkiness clear on the finish. Only a light sourness and relatively sweet. Medium body and close to no carbonation. An enjoyable beer, but a bit sweeter than I would have preferred. The mouthfeel would have benefited from more carbonation.

4.82/5  rDev +11.3%

Appearance:

Tonight I am pulling out my favorite glass in the cabinet, my Dogfish Head goblet which I am finding out that I need to try and buy more of these since I'm always washing and using this one. As I pulled the short bottle out of the fridge I took a glance at the classy light blue and ornate writing which reminds me of a mini fine champagne bottle. As I pulled off the cap everything seemed to go picture perfect and a beautiful loud hiss came from the neck and the carbonation gasses lingered around the mouth's bottle. On the pour I decided to go slowly and give slight tilt to my glass trying to not create a overflowing head while not pouring out the yeast dregs on the bottom. When I was finished I was left with a slim half inch thick bone white head that hung around the whole time and had tiny champagne like bubble floating up from the bottom. This beauty is a deep golden hay like color that is absolutely clear with some lemon and golden apple undertones. Bright and sunny with no haze or yeast floating around this is just perfect and when I give a slight swirl the viscosity appears to be pretty light only leaving some little legs crawling down the glass walls.

Smell:

Right out of the gate, this has powerful citrus and lemon notes surrounded by slight sweetness and acidity. Very floral perfume like aromas are surrounding all of the fruit and acid which really balances this very nicely. Slight hay and barnyard funk is there as well, almost reminds me of my moms old musty basement but in a warming familiar way. In the finish, loads of white grapes and apricots tingle your nostrils and resemble a Pinot Grigio wine.

Taste:

This is an aggressive start to a sour beer! Very mouth puckering and full of acid but the grapes really are the major component here. Vinous and sweet-tart like with lots of citrus and wood and slight vanilla undertones. Funk beyond belief and almost hard to describe, its amazing what those brett bugs can do to a well crafted base beer. Green apples, and slight vinegar round out the middle and balance out some of the cloying sweetness. In the finish, almost a slight burn of the lemon like acid hits my throat and reminds me that I got a whole glass left of this delicious punishment to my esophagus.

Drinkability:

What can I say, this was a stellar beer and I am sad to see it go. This was big and bold yet so complex with lots of flavors going on that are stellar. As I drank this to the end my palate became a little shot from all the acid but it was worth every last drop. I only had a tiny sip of this last time at a tasting and was hoping another one would find its way to me again and thankfully it did. I would highly recommend this beer to any sour head out there and if you can find it or trade for it I'd say jump on the deal ASAP. Thanks again to Chris for hooking me up and I hope we can work out something again soon

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Received as an awesome extra from a generous trader, thanks Joe. 12.7 oz bottle of batch four. Sampled from a tulip glass 10/10/10.

Clean blonde in color, forms a bright white head that dissapears completely almost immediately, can't call that a defect in the style of course. Carbonation is very fine but appears to be pretty active.

Very pleasant and rich bouquet of aromas on this beer. Brett earthiness is a little better developed than I expected for what I gather is a relatively young wild ale; even if I suspect some age would do this beer a lot of good. Fruity grape character is a bit stronger than many beers I've tried that are brewed with grapes. Spices also add a lot to the aroma on this one.

Because of the aroma I had some concern the spices might be overbearing but they're relatively well integrated. Although there's a pleasant tartness on the aftertaste this isn't quite as sour as I prefer and I have a feeling the grape sweetness may have something to do with that. This is a broad style though so there's room for beers like this and it is pretty enjoyable on it's own merits. The more I drink the more vinous it starts to taste, not certain to what degree the acidity or grapes are responsible.

Altogether another very well made beer from Captain Lawrence. I'm glad I had the opportunity to check this one out.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into my Hill Farmstead tasting glass, revealing a slight champagne fizz over light golden, minimally hazy body. Smells like a meaty white wine with slight apricot and vanilla sweet notes, citrus and a little funk. Very nice smells, all together.

Tastes quite sour at first, but very clean and sweet in the finish. A little oak comes through the light malt and fruity grape flavor. Despite its delicacy, there is a distinct meatiness to the strength of the compilation that makes me want to pair it with something hearty like lamb satay. The spices add a nice bite to the sour kick. Carbonation is thorough and tingly, but not spritzy. Served just slightly chilled, it's very drinkable but something to sip and savor for all its complexity.

Very glad I have more of these!

3.59/5  rDev -17.1%

poured pale yellow with little head, but then i perhaps poured out too much from the bottom of the bottle and now it looks opaque.

smell is funk and grape and sour cider. not in love with the aroma per se, but for what the beer is, it's pretty much spot on.

i dunno. if i wanted wine, i would have signed up for wine advocate. flavor is nice - quite sharp and sour up front but the aftertaste mellows it out. i'm missing the spice here and the oak is more woody than barrel.

mouth is leaving me wanting something to clean my palate.

i like sours. i like brett. something about this one just doesn't do it for me.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Batch 4. Thanks for SMason and SneezyAchew for hooking this up in trade!

A: Pours a translucent golden/straw color, capped by a finger of fizzy white head. Retention is poor as it recedes quickly, leaving some light foam at the edges of the top.

S: Moderate barnyard funk up front, followed by some musty grapes and light lactic quality. Green apples, peaches and lots of citrus. Oak shows around the edge in the form of vanilla but isn't overdone.

T: Starts with a touch of oaky vanilla before some moderate lactic acidity comes in with a big citrus quality. Some musty funk and light fruits - green apples and a vinous character - come in late along with more lemon zest and acidity. Finish of lactic citrus and light vanilla.

M: Medium bodied with light to moderate carbonation, feels a touch too heavy.

D: Ridiculously drinkable for the style and ABV.

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Reviweing from notes taken at the hunahpu release. Big tnx to mcdiddypop for sharing! Poured into a cigar city snifter.

A- pours pale golden yellow in color. A fingers worth of white head that doesn't stay around for long. Some lacing left behind.

A- big on lemons and grapes. There is a funky earthy aroma present also.

T- follows the nose I get a lot of lemon coupled with some grapes and granny smith tasting apples. Very sour in a lovely way.

M- very light bodied. The sourness sucks every bit of saliva out of my mouth with every drink. Its like my mouth is being vaccumed with a wetvac. It's really intense.

D- love it. I wish I had a case in the cellar. I will def be looking to trade for some of this.

4.39/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2009 Vintage Into A Tulip Glass
12.7oz.Bottle Split W/ Another BA

Poured a golden color w/ a minimal ammount of head and no lacing to speak of - appears boring but it was definately not! The nose is of fermenting grapes, citrus fruits, spiced apple juice, and clean no holds barred funk. The taste was of tart/sour citrus obviously and a finish of grapes w/ more funk and slight bitterness in the background. Mouthfeel is very thin and leaves the palate dry and clean. Could without a doubt session this one and the 8.00% ABV is manageable. This one lived up to my expectations and the hype.

4.46/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2015 batch from bottle...
golden hue, meringue-like foamy head....
smell od chardonnay, lemon, and vanilla...
taste is tart, with nice grape, citrus and mild spice.. sour but not overly so....
very nice sour with great balance and some interesting flavors...
delicious!

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

A- bright straw yellow with a white head that Sudanese quickly, leaves a bit of lacing.

S- subtle but obvious lemon citrus with the brett sourness apparent. It's a light nose but is true what comes next.

T- immediate grapefruit that vaneshes into a dominate lemon sourness. Awesome flavor.

M- soft and easy with a carb tickle that is nice.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Bright yellow. 3 finger foamy white head.

S: Pungent sour and citrus notes.

T: Wonderfully sour. Great lemony citrus on the nose followed by vinegary sourness.

M: Light and refreshing. Well carbonated.

O: So glad to have tried this. Up there with Beatification. I need to find more.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottle courtesy of kplynch

Appearance: Bottle overflowed when popped, then rather flat. Cloudy pale yellow look w/some little yeasty chunks floating around throughout snifter.

Smell: tart and grape mostly. Little like white wine+ little funkiness on the side.

Taste: tart, fairly thick, funk, wine, woody.

Finish: Very dry, tart+lemon/acidic lingering.

Overall: Very tasty and one of a kind.

4.17/5  rDev -3.7%

Finally landed a bottle. Batch 4

A - Pours a hazy yellow, almost lemonade color. Fluffy white head disappears to nothing.

S - grapes, barn-yardy brett, citric acid, and oak.

T - Complex and simple, everything blends well. Start with the tart, rolls into oak, and finishes with just the right funk.

M/D - the carbonation is a little too lively for my taste. Once it has sat or been swirled a decent amount it's much easier on the palate. The sour level is at a medium, and I had no idea this beer was close to 8% before looking.

I think a year would do wonders for this beer. I'm pretty sure I'll be adjusting my score at that time.

4.7/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy gold with no head, looks very simalar to wine. Aroma of funk and sour grapes, tastes a lot like wine with great sour notes. Smooth yet dry, very tasty, sour but not over the top, its just right I wish this wasn't limited because I would drink it all the time!!!

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle shared by dkachur--thanks, Dan!

A: pours a very clouded light tangerine with very faint head and lacing. So hazy, in fact, that it almost looks like fruit juice.

S: the first sour I've had, and wow. Clears our your sinuses. Crisp, fresh green apples and sour candy as well as slight yeast, bread and butter notes. Also a mild hint of not-quite ripe raspberries. Slightly musty like an attic or perhaps a barnyard with the smell of horse hair, slight honey, and a bit of hay. Mild white grapes, white and pink (though a dry pink) grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and even banana, as well as a bit of licorice as it warms.

T: Like granny smith apples, only 5 times more sour and slightly bitter. Actually has notes of white wine, along with (no surprise) white grapes. Extremely heavy grapefruits, which I absolutely love. Not quite to the warhead or candy sour level of acidity. The apples and grapefruits actually make this somewhat juicy considering how dry the actual mouthfeel is. The balance between the fruit and the sourness actually works very well.

M: Very crisp and dry, like biting into an extremely sour apple, or a green apple combined somehow with a grapefruit. This is great, though the carbonation dies quickly and I would have liked it to have had slightly more.

D: Had this at a tasting and wish I could have had the whole bottle. Like having a smooth, sour, fresh squeezed (albeit sour) fruit juice.

4.35/5  rDev +0.5%

Batch 4, Fresh-ish.

Pours a cloudy straw yellow mixed with mandarin orange color into a Duvel Tulip. One finger eggshell white head fades into a collar of thin bubbles quite quickly.

Smell has perfume, sour apple, white grape and white peach mostly with some pear and lime as well with an undeterminable funky smell.

Taste is more of the same, sour grapes sour apples are dominant with a white wine like character as it fades. The sourness stays for a while.

Mouthfeel is light with a relatively dry finish.

Drinkable but not too drinkable.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%

Batch #4

Definately a little different than previous batches, but still delicious

A- Pours a golden straw color with a quickly fading fluffy white head.

S- Tart, complex, and herbal, much like a gueze. Herbal, hay-like funk with grassy notes and hints of white pepper.

T- Suprisingly different from the aroma. The grapes actually come through in the flavor. Crisp vinous white grapes are in the foreground, while horseblanket, hay, tart apple, funk, white pepper, and a mild grassy flavor are in the background.

M- Crisp and dry (again not unlike a good gueze)

D- Not overwhemingly sour, but a definate sipper.

4.23/5  rDev -2.3%

batch #2 rusty broke this out... unimpressed so i had to drink one alone. perhaps it was footy yelling at me?

pale golden pour with no head whatsoever. milkiness makes it almost white near the bottom of the glass.

surprisingly fruity aroma... until i remembered it had grapes in it!... green apples, grapes, cement/slate/minerals, spice and wood.

the flavor doesn't pack that sour punch which most tend to possess. instead, it is very burgundian, subtle and refined... it's more dry and bretty than sour with notes of green apples, green grapes/verjus, oak with just a touch of smoke and some spice on the finish. terribly easy to enjoy yet a bit too refined for this brute!... 8/4/8/4/17/4.1

4.05/5  rDev -6.5%

Batch 3

A: Pours a hazy deep straw color with little visible carbonation. A thin ring of carbonation is visible around the edge of the glass.

S: Big funk up front with a light lemon zest aroma hiding below and a bit of a floral aroma.

T: Matches the nose. Funk up front with some lemon tartness in back.

M: Medium body with adequate carbonation and a slight dryness to it.

D: Good but not quite great. Very pleasant sour overall.

Cuvee De Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.