Cuvee De Castleton | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States
captainlawrencebrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This is a beer that will make you rethink your definition of beer. It doesn’t taste like any beer you’ve ever had, yet it doesn’t taste like anything else either. Pushing the limits of brewing is what makes this job so much fun. Malted barley, wild yeast, hand picked Muscat Grapes, and French oak wine barrels are just a few of the things that wen into crafting this beer. Breathe deep, take a long sip, and enjoy the creation in your hand.

Added by Billolick on 05-12-2007

Reviews: 226 | Ratings: 537
4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

I enjoyed Flaming Fury more.

The appearance is a very hazy gold with little to no head. Come on, give me some head! It has some bubbles that are produced with an aggressive pour, but other than that nothing. It has some great leg on it though, coats the entire glass with great ABV leg.

The smell is of grapes, sour funky yeast, crisp white wine, and grapes. Very vinous, delicious smell.

The taste is much like the smell but with more complexity. It has a strong white grape and orange rind taste. It is nicely tart and has some wet barnyard characters. It reminded me of this one wine tour I did in Mendoza, Argentina. Earthy, sweet wine, and must, really interesting characters that were intensified after a rain, just superb.

The mouthfeel is good, but could be carbonated a little more. The yeast on the bottom provided the most flavor, which is something I am starting to learn the more sours I drink. Tart and astringent, this was a treat.
J

4.57/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to my man Dyan who hooked up "The Most Epic Fucking Tasting You Wish You Were a Part Of" with both a 750mL of batch 2 and a 375mL of batch 3 that we tasted side-by-side for beers 10 and 11 of the tasting, numbers 1 and 2 of day 2. Needless to say, we got off to a great start!

I will do my best to review both of these masterpiece brews in the same place by listing the properties of batch 2, and then the comparison that I can draw to batch 3. Here goes...

Pours a crisp and clear golden color that gains haze as a bit of sediment tumbles over the lip of the bottle into my glass. Unlike many wilds, the champagne-like bubbles that often cling to the glass are nowhere to be found. Instead, the carbonation shows up only slightly, giving very nice presentation points to this sour.

The batch 2 exhibits a very formidable aroma. I can smell its funk easily 5 feet away. The notable characteristics are mainly some unripened white grapes and a nice sour yeasty character that comes through with very little acidity. The batch 3 brings more apple esters and a more potent lemony citric acid sourness.

On the palate, this beer really comes together. There is incredible depth, and I struggle to pick out every single element to the flavor. White wine grapes dominate, as pear esters come through in the middle. Unlike the smell, the citric acidity comes through here, but it is almost like lemonade, as it is accompanied by a sweetness that immediately checks the sourness as if to make sure that it doesn't get out of hand. The batch 3 by comparison displayed a much funkier sourness, again, contrary to what the nose led on. There were also peach esters that showed face.

Smooth and satisfying sourness on the palate, like lemonade, as I mentioned earlier. This beer is very nicely balanced, as the flavors dance nicely, each one taking its turn in the spotlight. The younger brother was a bit rougher around the edges and less mellow, with every signal pointing to an incredible maturation to come over the next few years.

Batch 4 10/2/10
4/4.5/3.5/3.5/4
Slightly hazy, peach colored. No head, no lacing to speak of.

Aromas of lemon, peach, strawberry, honey, some sourness, still very light at this point, and tanninc notes that are very strong. The flavor is light and citrusy, with some good funk and sourness, but it really needs some time to evolve and mature.

This will come around, but it isn't there yet.

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Big thanks to McDiddyPop for crackin' this one open at the Hunahpu release. Poured into my Stone IRS tulip.

A: Cloudy wheat color. The pour drops a two finger slightly, off white head that leaves some great spotty lace.

A: Sour funk, lemons, white grapes, wine barrels, and earth. Smells like this one could be mouth puckering.

T: Yep, mouthpuckering. Sour, barnyard funk. Big sour citrus and earthy, grassy hops. It just makes your tastebuds stand on end. Finishes very dry and tart.

M: Light body, sharp and acidic. High carbonation.

D and overall impression: Could not have too many of these, the sourness would just destroy my tastebuds. Overall, this is a pretty solid example of the style. I like my sours with just a touch more sweetness to balance out the tartness, but nonetheless a good brew. Skal.

Have had this one several times. This bottle was from batch 3.

A: Pours a light cloudy shade of yellow. The head is very small and white in color.

S: Aromas of sour sweet fruit, light tart citrus, and yeast.

T: Citric for sure, nice light tartness with hints of tart and sweet grapes. Light barrel notes with a hint of earthy minerals.

M: On the lighter side of medium nice carbonation.

D: Not bad, not my favorite sour, but I do like it.

3.65/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured from a 375mL bottle (Batch 3) into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy, straw yellow with a small off white head. Quickly fades into a thin ring.

S: Slightly funky with some grassy hops.

T: Mildly tart, sour apples, and a slightly bitter finish.

MF: Light and moderately carbonated. Very smooth.

D: Light and easy drinking. Not as strong as many sours.

Very tasty, but not nearly as good as I might have expected with all the hype. Tasted much better once the yeast was poured into the glass.

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to Hophead101 for this in trade! 375ml bottle from batch #3.

Opened to a slight gushing but nothing near bad. I think this has some effect as there is a slight spritzy nature to a beer that looks devoid of carbonation after a few seconds of a large eggshell/ivory/ecru/white (random simpsons reference) head.
Poured into a Lindeman's tulip and rather hazy as well. A nice deep golden root beer color, pear juice maybe. Think the color from root beer candy canes, the gold they stripe them with is exactly this hue. By the time that sentence was written my second glass' head is completely gone and this looks like a nice still lambic albeit cloudy.

The nose is reminiscent of Bruocsella to me. Grapefruit, lemons, citrus rind, limes, maybe even some pineapple and peach scents (those two aromas came out much stronger after a few sips). Sandwiched by a nice funky intoxicating mix of brettanomyces and a tinge of alcohol. The brett is a little subdued on the front end with some acidity and prominent on the back with the fruit mingling in the middle. Only after pulling my nose away does my brain detect a slight muscat grape smell at the dying end.

The taste is where this brew really shines. It really is a journey, it's that complex. And it doesn't even stop after you have taken a sip. Sit back and revel in some very tropical fruit flavors long after the sip has gone down. It's complex, but it ramps into it. Although maybe it's more of a sine wave than a ramp.
It starts off with a tame tartness and some pineapple juice sweetness. Upon the swallow this beer explodes with a much more prominent citrusy tart bite followed immediately by some light funk and brett. You'd think that'd be it. But this beer is just warming up. A vividly fluxing aftertaste awaits you. My brain went a little nuts it was so unexpected. I get peaches, then pears, green apples, there are those muscat grapes, more pineapple sweetness. This aftertaste loiters for ages and it's wonderful and ever changing the entire time. This is the most tropical fruit experience I've had with a beer.
The 8% is very believable but not in a bad way at all. It's always there slightly, but it's nowhere near strong. It's rather odd to find an alcohol taste in a lambic style for me, but it's almost welcome.

Mouthfeel is that of a still lambic. Very thin, but the alcohol makes it coat like olive oil. Quite nice. Drinkability suffered as the tart citric quality mixed with the present alcohol would make a 750 a chore for one person. More so than others in the style.

While not my favorite beer ever, it's quite an experience and one I hope to seek out again. Very worthy of the hype, I can't believe this was done on this side of the pond.

EDIT: I just had the pleasure of a batch 1 bottle of this particular beer and it was one of the most delicious drinks I have ever been privy to. I'd go into more detail but I wasn't feeling too well for parts of the day and it was a long drive.
Sans excuses, the alcohol heat was GONE, GOODBYE! This turned into a thin tropical orange julius type of drink. I just cannot get over how absolutely spot on this beer is aged a few years. Just stunning!
I have changed my scores to a combination of the batch#3 and #1. Rounding in favor of batch#1.
#3 Scores- 3.5, 3.5, 4.5, 3.5, 3.0
#1 Scores- 3.5, 5.0, 5.0, 4.0, 5.0

4.14/5  rDev -4.4%

From a 375 mL, Batch 3,

A: Pours golden with a soft white head, fair retention.

S: Smells like you aged white grape juice in an attic for 6 months, very musty/attic/cobweb.

T: White grapes, some sweet Muscat with a good acidity. White vinegar and some funky lemon, I like the flavour a lot.

M: Light aftertaste, as I've said I enjoyed the strong acid, medium-bodied.

D: A real good sour. Good complexity in this one, don't think I'll ever be able to try it again, but I really liked it. My 2nd experience with this beer.

3.78/5  rDev -12.7%

Appearance: Pour is a straw-yellow, medium white head with little/no lacing.

Smell: A bit subdued, with light and sweetish malts. Neither very tart or sour. Strong sauvignon blanc wine element and green apples. Not much funk or oak. Very yeasty.

Taste: Again, light and sweet malts up front, little sourness.

Mouthfeel: Well carbonated, but a bit light and thin.

Drinkability: Disappears, similar to the way a wit disappears on a warm day. I was expecting a bit more from this one.

4.26/5  rDev -1.6%

A batch 3 bottle that was so generously shared by my good friend Kris, thanks man!

A: An extremely fizzy, hazy, golden hued beer that displayed a beautiful white fluffy head momentarily.

S: A strong tart punch upfront that's then followed by vanilla, wood, grape, apples, and a mixture of spices.

T: The sour and tart punch is much subdued, but still very much a large part of the overall flavor profile. What I like the most is the strong wood flavors and subtle notes of sweet malt, banana, lemon and vanilla.

M: A light bodied beer that has a decent amount of carbonation and some robust drying qualities, sometimes a bit too much.

D: If this were to come in a 750ml, I'm sure I would be able to polish it off quite easily.

Overall: Robust, complex and easy to drink; one of the better sours out there. Do yourself some justice and try this beer. Cheers!

4.49/5  rDev +3.7%

Bottle shared by dkachur--thanks, Dan!

A: pours a very clouded light tangerine with very faint head and lacing. So hazy, in fact, that it almost looks like fruit juice.

S: the first sour I've had, and wow. Clears our your sinuses. Crisp, fresh green apples and sour candy as well as slight yeast, bread and butter notes. Also a mild hint of not-quite ripe raspberries. Slightly musty like an attic or perhaps a barnyard with the smell of horse hair, slight honey, and a bit of hay. Mild white grapes, white and pink (though a dry pink) grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, and even banana, as well as a bit of licorice as it warms.

T: Like granny smith apples, only 5 times more sour and slightly bitter. Actually has notes of white wine, along with (no surprise) white grapes. Extremely heavy grapefruits, which I absolutely love. Not quite to the warhead or candy sour level of acidity. The apples and grapefruits actually make this somewhat juicy considering how dry the actual mouthfeel is. The balance between the fruit and the sourness actually works very well.

M: Very crisp and dry, like biting into an extremely sour apple, or a green apple combined somehow with a grapefruit. This is great, though the carbonation dies quickly and I would have liked it to have had slightly more.

D: Had this at a tasting and wish I could have had the whole bottle. Like having a smooth, sour, fresh squeezed (albeit sour) fruit juice.

4.51/5  rDev +4.2%

Cuvee de Castleton, Batch #2, courtesy of dkachur, shared at the January C'ville tasting - thanks Dan! Poured in to a snifter.

Appearance: A hazed, pear juice-hued brew with a great foamy spongy white collar and a fizzy, fast-fading head. Carbonation - when visible through the torpid, still body - is bright, fast, and erratic, though I did get the bottom of this bottle on this one. Not too terribly much to say about the this one - it's the least appealing aspect of this beer, as it is with every (or most) sour(s), I suppose.

Aroma: Amazingly complex. Obviously, slight vinegary sourness is evident, but they're not overwhelming or too intense - this doesn't smell like a sourbomb, essentially. The fruit notes are what's most impressive about this one - the obligatory Granny Smith apples are present, but so are Muscat grapes, strong bananas, some sour cherries, and more various tropical fruits than I could try and attempt to name. Nothing about it is too heavy or sharp or striking, and they all meld absolutely beautifully with a moderate amount of wild funk, slight farmhouse, and slight bandaid. An amazingly mature, complex, and well-developed aroma.

Taste: Oh my sweet damn that's good. A strong, sweet spiciness underlies the sourness on this one, adding flourishes of cinnamon to a heavy, fruity base. Smooth citrus, tropical fruits, juicy grapes, tart apples, bananas, and sour cherries meld amazingly with the moderate sourness. The malt base is great, sweet but light, crisp and golden, leaning more towards the sweet side of things (as well as the heavy side of things) than many of the light, crisp, fluffy, barely fruity sourbombs I've had.

Mouthfeel: A slightly thicker base - which makes sense given the attenuation - but with enough carbonation to keep it light, crisp, and only slightly spicy.

Drinkability: An amazing brew, and one I imagine would fill two roles with equal aplomb: it's a good introductory beer in that it's not overwhelmingly sour, is somewhat sweet, and also presents a nice array of fruit notes; but it's also an amazingly complex beer for sourheads, if you like the way the sour quality pronounces the array of weapons available to Brettanomyces. That is, if you want a huge, biting, kick-you-in-the-nuts, vinegar/lactic/acetic bomb, this isn't your beer. This one is full, complex, and runs the gamut of what brewers are (or should be) capable of when Brett. Just truly stellar.

4.54/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Murky blonde, stark white head that falls back to a fizzly collar.

S: Good lord... the aroma of this beer alone is one of the more amazing experiences I have had. A great acidity that gives it a big green apple aroma, along with a warmer note - just the blend of malts and yeast doing wonderful things together. I get a big aroma of banana as well... an intriguing yeast ester. I spent a solid 5 minutes, at least, sniffing... I went about trying to take a taste and then inhaled and it went on.

T: A little more citrus, and a smoother acidity on the palate. There's a doughy flavour to it, and a touch of perfume - while that may come across as an unpleasant descriptor, it is wonderfully pleasant.

M + D: A little fuller than I would have thought, it sports a nice medium body without the same kind of dryness that many other sours. It's still there, but a lot less vapourous, for lack of better words. Quite a lovely brew, and one I'd most definitely love to smell again.

4.12/5  rDev -4.8%

12.7oz bottle into a big style champagne flute. Batch numero three. Finally getting around to reviewing this after many bottles.

Castleton made noise when opened, a loud hiss, than alot of activity in the bottle. Light golden in color with a yellow look as well. After many bottles I still cant get a decent cap on this. There is plenty of carbonation, it's just that cuvee does not produce foam, a lot of rising bubbles though making some fizz.

Scents are pleasant but not anything heavy handed, it took a few sniffs to pick up the main musks. Muscat grapes up front giving this a vinious quality. Under those is the funk, although it's more of a mild brettness with hay and barnyard. The spices are so light that I cant make them out.

Castleton delivers all that is advertised with the spices at a minimal level, it's tart, somewhat sour and drinkable. Muscat grapes impart a somewhat winey taste underneath and somehow this comes off like a sour cider in some ways. The wild yeast is tasted and welcomed but it as well is somewhat muted. Brett bombs all over the place. It gives off tartness and a dirty barnyard with hay. I may be getting a touch of coriander at times.

CDC is well carbed, it was noted once the bottle was opened, a lot of activity seen in the liquid and on the mouth. It's very lively with a crispness that somehow builds more and then leaves. Cuvee is on the lighter side of medium in terms of build and finishes incredibly dry. I can feel it in my stomach so it's doing it's job. afterwards i tasted some grape on the back of my tounge, delicious. this drinks more like 5% than 8%.

I like this beer, I always have, but at times I feel it can be so much more in terms of sourness and funkiness. This is very str8 forward in terms of the main tastes and it works, castleton is well balanced, but I would like to see a amped up version to appear in the future. Either way if you like sours, you will like this, it's that simple.

I'll update in a year or so with some batch two CDC, I want to see how this develops. Im rooting for this beer but's it's not quite in A territory for me now. Perhaps the captain will consider changing the name of this beer as it's no longer the best(cuvee)that this brewery has to offer in their sour department.

4.34/5  rDev +0.2%

Drank out of a tulip at Brett Fest at Spuytin Duyvil in Brooklyn, NY in August 2009.

I got the end (approx. 3 oz.) of a bottle of Batch 1.

A: Since I got all the yeast, the pour was very cloud and milky. Almost looked like I Thai Iced Tea if you could imagine. No head.

S: Fruity, funky, and forward.

T: Lavender-ish, bretty, and a pleasant apricot aftertaste.

M: A neat feel as there was little carbonation but a kick from the yeast fermenting this beautious Batch 1 offering a few years.

D: Surprisingly strong for 8% ABV. A nice warming feeling hits the palate.

Overall, a very fun beer to try and can't wait to crack the different batch I have in my cellar.

4.07/5  rDev -6%

Poured into Southern Tier tulip. Batch 3

Pours hardly any head. Color is a yellow mango orange. Very hazy. No retention or lace.

Aroma: Grapes, oak, slight brett. Definitely has a Belgian base to it with some gloves.

Taste: Has a ton of brett and grapes to it. Some wine and oak notes as well. The brett really dominates the taste. Has some barnyard funk as well.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Some funk as well. Lighter bodied with medium amount of carbonation. Ends slightly dry.

Overall, nothing amazing, but for the abv this is very drinkable. It was good, but seemed to lack complexity. I really wasn't expecting the level of brett this beer had.

2.62/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Murky pastel yellow, with copious foam at first that settled and stuck around for awhile. Floral nose, fragrant lavender or chamomile, various spices, lime zest, and orange juice. Dry tart feel, zippy with a little grape sweetness. Earthy coriander. Reminds me of a sour blend of orange juice and sprite I used to make as a kid. The dry spritz just evaporates on the tongue, very clean and tasty. This brew really seems to showcase the herbs/spice with a nice orange/lemon-lime compliment.

4.65/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours a hazy golden straw with a silky beige head. Nice lacing and retention.

Nose has tart citrus, white wine grapes, manure, horse blanket and oak.

Taste has a sour fruit presence followed by barnyard funk, wood, white wine and sweet meady malts.

Crisp body is well carbonated. Dry acidic finish. Tasty sour from Captain Lawrence.

4.02/5  rDev -7.2%

Batch 3

Pours a glowing golden color in my tulip with a quickly dying finger of head. Somewhat murky, effervescent carbonation

Nose is tart and funky tangerine, hints of sour peach, very clean and crisp.

Taste is not really sour, definitely more tart than anything. Honestly, not even as funky as I expected. Some very crisp fruits from apples to tangerines to grapes to banana. Band-aids at the very end of the finish. Slightly bitter in the aftertaste only. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, crisp stinging carbonation but luckily not too much of it. Finish isn't too dry, which is a positive for me. Drinkability is average to good...enough flavor to make me reach for more and tartness kept in check enough to not kill my palate. This is a very fine beer, no doubt about it. Only real negative was that it didn't improve after as it warmed. This one was best when it was first served. Started to get a bit of waxiness as it neared room temperature.

Batch #2 courtesy of blisscent. Poured a hazy gold with a vigorous, frothy, white head that dissipates and reveals a band of bubbles around the edges of the bowl. Nose is tart and citrusy. Taste follows nose - sourness is not overwhelming by any means; however, a vinegary quality comes out as well. Mouthfeel is light and lively, and slightly stimulates the salivary glands. Finish was fairly dry. I'm fairly new to Wilds, but I found this beer really quite drinkable. I thoroughly enjoyed this brew.

4.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle shared from rpstevens- hats off, it's great!
Looks a hazy golden yellow with a thin ring head.

Smell is a smooth chardonnaapple creamy butter scent with a pleasant shadow of bad breath in the back ground- weird I know.

Taste and mouth feel are also very smooth and inviteing. White wine characteristics, soft oak, and a mild sour dry finish. Has a sweetness and gentle bubble as it rolls over the tongue.

Real, real tasty beer- hope to try this one again

4.47/5  rDev +3.2%

Big thanks to corby112 for this bottle, poured into my white birch glass. Celebrating the end of another term with this beer, cheers. The beer pours a hazy straw color with an effervescent glow around the edges. There is a thin cap of white foam that leaves no lacing.

The smell is tart apples, sour grapes, oaky wood notes and lemon zest. There is also a musty sourness that rears it's head throughout the scent.

The flavors match the smell well, tart apples, sour grapes and a healthy dose of citrus sour funk. There is a slight oak flavor that complements all the sour and crisp citrus notes.

The beer is light bodied and only slightly carbonated, but the crisp and sharp flavors and dry finish make this beer insanely drinkable. The sour grape flavor is intense at first, but it is so well balanced it makes this beer incredibly drinkable. I wish I had another.

3.8/5  rDev -12.2%

Got to try a bottle of this thanks to a friend who does beer trades. The colour was a light straw with no head at all. The aroma was filled with tangy citrus notes and hints of yeast. On the palate, there was a bitter feel initially, then plenty of tanginess and some light citrus as well.

4.32/5  rDev -0.2%

err, my review was lost so i busted out the notes. lesson learned, keep notes!

pour was a hazy yellowish golden color. quick white head.

a bit if funk with stronger sour grapes. slight tartness.

lots of sour white grapes with subtle funky notes. clean malt finish with grape aftertaste. a bit dry overall with a slight sweetness. quite south and mouth puckering.

nice carbonation bite, full yet easy

i dug on this, big time. lots of grape flavors with an accommodating sourness and funk.

4.28/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Pours a cloudy grapefruit juice color with a foamy Champagne head that noisily disappears and leaves no trace

Smell: Tart citrus aroma and horse blanket dominates, but underneath there is a beguiling sweet grape element from the Muscat

Taste: Although the sweet grape flavors make an initial impact, the tartness builds to a mouth-puckering level by mid-palate; after the swallow, the barnyard funk adds yet a third dimension; this beer has it all, from the sweet honey tones to the puckering citrus to the stone fruit to the yeasty spice

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; makes you pucker, however

Drinkability: Just an extraordinary accomplishment; I cannot think of another beer that goes in so many dimensions

4.64/5  rDev +7.2%

Huge thanks to Knifestyles for this one!

Batch 3.

Clear golden color with small white head that was gone quickly, no lacing. Aroma is funktastic from the start. The first noticeable quality of the nose is the dirty leather, followed by some lemon/lime sourness, and lightly sweet. Yep, flavor on this is more sweet than it is tart, but there is certainly a nice, although not perfect, balance. The sweetness from the muscot grapes is in the forefront, giving this a nice sweet, tart, citric quality, plenty of lemon and funk in the middle, and the bright dry finish leaves me wanting me more. This is ridiculously tasty. Not as sour or tart many other wilds I've had, but it does just enough for me. The second pour produced a huge yeast haze and an added depth of funk and sour. Background flavors of cheesy funk start come through as it warms, but it still takes a backseat to the sweet/sour citric goodness. Mmmmm... Love it! The oak is well integrated, and this almost has a lactic chardonnay like taste to me. I love the acidic residue it leaves on my lips after each sip. Good stuff! Carbonation is just perfect. Not too spritzy, yet noticeable, and gives a nice prickly feeling on the tongue without being so abrasive as to wash away all the goodness. 8%? Really? I can't taste any alcohol in this thing at all. All in all this a tasty, well-balanced beer, and wish I had more.

Thanks again, Chris!!

Cuvee De Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.