Cuvee De Castleton | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton
4.38/5
Cuvee De CastletonCuvee De Castleton

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States
captainlawrencebrewing.com

Style: American Wild Ale

This is a beer that will make you rethink your definition of beer. It doesn’t taste like any beer you’ve ever had, yet it doesn’t taste like anything else either. Pushing the limits of brewing is what makes this job so much fun. Malted barley, wild yeast, hand picked Muscat Grapes, and French oak wine barrels are just a few of the things that wen into crafting this beer. Breathe deep, take a long sip, and enjoy the creation in your hand.

Added by Billolick on 05-12-2007

#378
4.5

4.92/5  rDev +12.3%

4.91/5  rDev +12.1%

4.89/5  rDev +11.6%

A: Not quite a gusher but it was happy to get out of the bottle in to my Hennepin glass. Minimal white head. Slightly hazy golden color.

S: Funk right up front. Little bit musty with hints of grapes and some other fruit that is hard to pin down. You can smell a little of the tartness as well.

T: Starts of tart on the front of your tongue. Then you get that wonderful blast of funky fruit. Then it goes into a taste that I can only describe as a good white wine. Finishes with a more subtle version of funk. No real taste of the barrel on this one. As it warmed got more hints of white grapes.

M: Medium body. Well carbonated. Finishes a little on the dry side but it worked with the wine like taste. I love the tartness on my lips after taking a sip.

D: Insanely drinkable. Would love to know the ABV on this but I don't care. If this were 20% I would still want it all the time. Totally different than anything I have ever had. Just a singular beer. Can't wait to see what this beast turns in to with a little time on it.

4.84/5  rDev +10.5%

4.83/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. One of the more complex sours out there yet everything comes together perfectly. Fanominal work Captain Lawrence top 10 sour IMHO.

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Appearance:

Tonight I am pulling out my favorite glass in the cabinet, my Dogfish Head goblet which I am finding out that I need to try and buy more of these since I'm always washing and using this one. As I pulled the short bottle out of the fridge I took a glance at the classy light blue and ornate writing which reminds me of a mini fine champagne bottle. As I pulled off the cap everything seemed to go picture perfect and a beautiful loud hiss came from the neck and the carbonation gasses lingered around the mouth's bottle. On the pour I decided to go slowly and give slight tilt to my glass trying to not create a overflowing head while not pouring out the yeast dregs on the bottom. When I was finished I was left with a slim half inch thick bone white head that hung around the whole time and had tiny champagne like bubble floating up from the bottom. This beauty is a deep golden hay like color that is absolutely clear with some lemon and golden apple undertones. Bright and sunny with no haze or yeast floating around this is just perfect and when I give a slight swirl the viscosity appears to be pretty light only leaving some little legs crawling down the glass walls.

Smell:

Right out of the gate, this has powerful citrus and lemon notes surrounded by slight sweetness and acidity. Very floral perfume like aromas are surrounding all of the fruit and acid which really balances this very nicely. Slight hay and barnyard funk is there as well, almost reminds me of my moms old musty basement but in a warming familiar way. In the finish, loads of white grapes and apricots tingle your nostrils and resemble a Pinot Grigio wine.

Taste:

This is an aggressive start to a sour beer! Very mouth puckering and full of acid but the grapes really are the major component here. Vinous and sweet-tart like with lots of citrus and wood and slight vanilla undertones. Funk beyond belief and almost hard to describe, its amazing what those brett bugs can do to a well crafted base beer. Green apples, and slight vinegar round out the middle and balance out some of the cloying sweetness. In the finish, almost a slight burn of the lemon like acid hits my throat and reminds me that I got a whole glass left of this delicious punishment to my esophagus.

Drinkability:

What can I say, this was a stellar beer and I am sad to see it go. This was big and bold yet so complex with lots of flavors going on that are stellar. As I drank this to the end my palate became a little shot from all the acid but it was worth every last drop. I only had a tiny sip of this last time at a tasting and was hoping another one would find its way to me again and thankfully it did. I would highly recommend this beer to any sour head out there and if you can find it or trade for it I'd say jump on the deal ASAP. Thanks again to Chris for hooking me up and I hope we can work out something again soon

4.82/5  rDev +10%

Review 500!! Hopefully Scott doesn't let me down. Batch 2. Huge thanks to bwyker for getting me a bottle at the release.

A: It started frothing as soon as I cracked the bottle but it wasn't a gusher. No beer was harmed during the pouring of my glass. A huge white head formed while pouring in the glass again with copious carbonation but it fell immediately leaving only a cloudy straw color beer with tons of visible carbonation.

S: Funk city baby!! Super tart aroma. It is very obvious there is Brett in there. I don't really get any grapes because the funk is so strong but there is the typical apple.

T: Super tart bite up front but quickly fades into a nice sweetness and a smooth sweet white wine flavor. The weird/impressive thing is how little aftertaste there is. Usually I find that Brett beers leave a super tart dusty aftertaste and the sweet grapes seem to eliminate that, creating a great package.

M: The lack of the tart aftertaste creates a interesting situation where I find myself drinking sips faster than usual trying to capture that early tartness and not linger on the sweetness. I consider that to be a great thing.

D: Nor'Easter is amazing, but this is the best beer that Captain Lawrence makes as far as I'm concerned. A great beer from every possible angle. Scott did not let me down.

4.81/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

This brew is absolutely amazing. Picked up my alloted 6 bottles at the brewery this past weekend, and had a bottle that night. Beer has a great yellow-orange color. The smell is definitely that of a sour ale. The taste hints at lemon and bitter orange peel. The mouthfeel is impressive. This beer makes you wish you were a Captain Lawrence employee...

Excellent job!!! Great release day!!!! Hopefully this can become a twice annual release...

4.8/5  rDev +9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +8.4%

Cuvee De Castleton from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.