Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Flaming Fury | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Flaming FuryFlaming Fury

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-13-2009

Reviews: 103 | Ratings: 221
4.92/5  rDev +12.1%

Thanks beerloco!

Pours an interesting filmy, hazy golden yellow. I don't know if I'd call it beautiful, but certainly unique. Glows a bright gold when held to light. Tiny white crust of bubbles.

Smells like a mixture of both sweet peaches, unripe, sour peaches, oak, and a bit of light funk. Wow. That's a really nice aroma.

**I must admit that I haven't been blown away by Captain Lawrence brews, but this looks like it might be something special. I think the profile on this beer might be a bit low due to the good, but not overwhelming, prior sour efforts on the part of Captain Lawrence.**

And it is! First sip is a bright, exotic zing of peach juice, sour oak and leathery tannin, and a sharp acid twang. As you sip, the supple sweet notes begin to provide some balance, and I swear it's like they managed to get peaches of different levels of maturation in here. Slight taste of leather. Let it linger on the tongue, and the barest hint of barnyard funk peeks out from the sourness.

An exceptionally well balanced, excellent brew. If there's a downside, I do wish it had a bit more carbonation.

I really look forward to trying more of this, and I anticipate the score might go up as it builds carbonation and maybe a bit more funk. In the years to come, particularly if this is the only batch, will be llooked upon as a true "white whale."

4.89/5  rDev +11.4%

Big thanks to bobby8405 for the share. This delectable libation pours a turbid peach hue and is capped with a modicum of suds; it looks appropriate for what it is. The nose is amazing; extremely tart peach and general funk. The taste is tart-sour-wild-funky with acetic and fruity notes, with the acidity ramping up towards the finish. The feel is quite pert, but stops short of effervescent. Overall this is one of the best sour beers ever. As good as any Cantilloon, really.

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

A- Pours a clear golden yellow with a white head that quickly dissipates to a small ring around the glass.

S- The first aroma that comes to mind is a mildly acetic aroma, but there is a juicy peach aroma backing it up. Hints of lactic sourness come through as well with just a touch of funk. The peach aroma is in the background, but smells of ripe, juicy peaches.

T- This beer tastes like what yellow bus smells like IMHO. SUPER sour, but very juicy. A giant punch in the mouth with lactic and acetic sourness. Hints of cider vinegar and a mild wheaty twang balance one another. The taste of peaches, reminiscent of biting into a fresh, super-ripe peach is balanced by an INTENSE lactic sourness.

M- Bone dry and puckerigly sour. Mmmmm....

D- I think I have an ulcer now, but I don't care. This was delicious. This might be my new favorite beer.

4.87/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a stemmed tulip. Big thanks to bauermj for bringing this over.

Appearance: My pour has a mostly pale golden color with a creamy looking off-white head. Pretty much what I would expect from a peach sour.

Smell: This aroma is simply incredible. Peach and apricot accompany a blisteringly sour presence in the nose. Acidic, hugely lactic and a bit dry in the nose. Some barnyard funk really gets swirled up in the sour aroma but is still noticeable.

Taste: There is a soft peach and apricot juice sweetness up front that quickly gets overwhelmed by the incredible sour flavor. It grows and grows, turning lactic until it starts to burn my throat in a glorious way. A little bit of vanilla and oak toward the end. Right at the end a great gueuze like lemon zest seals the deal. This is incredible.

Mouthfeel: Obviously very sour and lactic creates a salivating and puckering sensation in my mouth, and I love every second of it. Still a bit smooth, but it leaves a burning in the back of my throat.

Overall: I did not think it was possible to have a sour peach or apricot beer that I liked better than Fou Foune, but I was happy to be surprised.

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

A- Pours a hazy deep golden color with a smal; 1/8-1/4" head. Compared with other hazy sours and similar beers, much less light comes through than expected. The head dissipated quite rapidly leaving a nice lacing and maintaining a ring of suds around the edges of the surface of the beer itself.

S- The most predominant initial aroma is that of acidic sourness. Next, I get tart fruits in the nose, which initially seemed more akin to green apples or pears. With a little more time, and getting as much of my face into the glass opening as possible, I started to smell what I would classify as "sour" peaches, which I associate with biting into a peach that is not completely ripened.

T- The flavor of the peaches comes through much more than I had anticipated based on the nose. Similarly, while it is a very sour wild, it is not as mouth puckering as the acidity in the aroma led me to believe. It is not easy to isolate all of the fruits coming through on the palate, but there is a lot more going on in this beer than the mere flavor of peaches alone. Lemony citric acid combined with sour/green apples. As it warms up, the sourness gives way (only in a slight sense, mind you) to the funk of a great wild. This "funk" is not akin to the barnyard funk often attributed to saisons, but rather a cleaner one that pairs nicely with the sour fruits and acidity of the beer. When the sourness departs, the full flavors of the fruit really come through on the back of my palate.

M- A fair amount of carbonation, but not too prickly, which is a problem I have encountered with some other wild/sour ales. Lingers nicely on the tongue leaving a great flavor coating the palate. Even after swallowing a sip, a phenomenal tingle is left stimulating each one of my taste buds.

D- Simply put, this beer is everything that I had hoped it would be after traveling 2 hours to NY from Philadelphia by bus, waking up on a weekend at 7 to catch a 40 minute train to the brewery and then waiting for 4 hours outside (during which time it rained for a period.) I have sampled 5 of the 10 "top examples" of this style (listed on the right side when viewing the beer) and I can confidently say that it competes with all of them and surpasses at least one of them by a long shot.

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

375mL bottle into a tulip. This has been a longtime want of mine and major props to Kyle for tracking one down and actually sharing it with me! Review #800!

(A)- Pours a pale golden orange color. Some nice white foam down to bubbles and lace. A beauty of a color.

(S)- A wonderful sour and lactic body with tart fruits of lemon, orange, white grape, peach, and maybe mango. Not overly funky, but the acidity coming from this aroma is very very nice.

(T)- A wonderfully powerful acidic sourness. Not palate melting, but a great assertiveness to it. Funky and earthy, but not in a dirty way. Superb fruit and acidity profiles.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. Sour as hell, but good funk and fruit too. Acidity is spot on yet powerful.

(D)- A brilliant and fantastic sour. This is what I like to see for the style. Sour power and a great smell, taste, and feel. World class through and through. Captain Lawrence, you need to make this again!

4.85/5  rDev +10.5%

Been waiting a while to open a bottle and sour tasting part 5? sounded like a good time.

A: Clear golden color with tons of visible carbonation working it's way up from the bottom of my glass to form a thin coating of white head. Even the earliest pours had some yeast floating in suspension.

S: Tons of lacto with fresh peaches right after. Some other light slightly overripe fruit in there as well. You do get a little bit of oak in the back but it is faint and smells more like a white wine barrel.

T: Sour up front. Finishes with FRESH peaches. The sourness and peaches works remarkably well together. Reminded me of a more intense Fou Foune only with the peaches a little bit brighter. The sourness is off the charts.

M: Light and refreshing. Well carbonated.

D: Amazing. So drinkable. Drinks like it is 2%. Would love to sit outside on a warm day and sip this. A definite hit from the captain.

4.83/5  rDev +10%

At the release, some notes. Nice hazy golden color with light notes of peaches. Sour as all hell really, but the mouthfeel was amazing and the fruit levels and acidity were spot on, nothing sweet about this. Finishes crisp and makes you want more. This one makes my top 3 CL brews, well done!

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Notes taken from 9/29 from the craziest bottle share that i have ever been a part of. Thanks so much to the NYC and hoboken crew for letting me participate in this incredible day of drinking long time wants and insanity.

Thanks kindly to Mark99 for sharing. Have had this once before (thanks to suitcase jon for that one, but looks like i haven't gotten to that part of the notes yet).

a - poured a murky yellow.
s - smells of stinky sour rotten eggs.
t - taste is phenomenal sour eggs with a burst of fruit.
m - mouth is smooth and after a swallow i'm left with a pucker.
o - overall dynamite beer. holding up great. really just phenomenal.

*** ** * ** ***
edit - found my notes from the first time i tasted this gem (probably about 6 months to a year earlier) - thanks suitcase for the HUGE bust out!!!

poured a straw yellow with a fizzy head
smells a bit acetone, but nice sour underneath
very fruit sour. tangerines, apricots, oranges.
really amazing. great feel perfect tart. this is amazing. sour meets fruit and they mix perfectly. perfect prickly carb, just a winner.

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured into a brandy snifter

Appearence - Very golden with just a slight head. Kept lacing very well throughout the drink.

Smell - Basrnyard and citrus fruit

Taste - Just enough sourness..tart ....lemon..oranges

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is almost pefect for the style.

Drinkability - The acidic level is low enough that you could drink several of these

4.82/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to Nick, for sharing this gem.

A - pours a bright yellow. Little head, looks rather dull.

S - oh man, funky stuff. Smells of peaches picked too early, but I love it. It's musty. The beer smell lasts as I drink it, barnyard funk all over.

T - wow. The taste is tart as hell right at the front. Like a midget peach grabs onto your tongue and punches it. The sweetness of the peach follows, and the beer finishes with funk and a wet taste peach flavor. I love it.

M - very carbonated, just how I like my sours to be. The beer is a viscous carbonated wet waterfall of wonderful.

D - for how sour this beer is, the flavors of the peach and funk balance this baby. Very approachable for sour fans, and makes you want more.

O - this beer is a great expirience. Anybody who enjoys fruity sours, should try this. Lovely.

4.8/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle shared by brian23456 at our recent La Crosse sour tasting, thanks Brian. Split with some other BAs and poured into snifters:

A - Light golden color with silverish hues. Slight head but not much carbonation. Lacing is light.

S - Peaches and candy tarts. Cherries, lemon zest, oranges and mild oak. Reminds me a bit of sweetarts.

T - Tart peaches and orange rind. Lemon and lime and bits of oak. Apricots, green apples and grapes. A nice funk and acidity here as well.

M - Smooth and tart funk prickle. Carbonation isn't too bad.

O - I want a growler of this or any size bigger than the current offering size. Its like when I get done working out or biking, instead of drinking water I'd drink Flaming Fury. Just an awesome sour and one worth trying.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%

Holy smokes, this thing is incredible. I have read posts saying that is equal to or greater than Yellow Bus, which is interesting. This thing was a very enjoyable sour, and Captain Lawrence is climbing my list of breweries to watch for. Incredible.

The appearance is cloudy yellow with a white head. It is really hazy, no clarity. Slathers the sides of my Lost Abbey glass with oil, just leaving its mark.

The smell is heavenly. Strong Brett, lemon rind, peaches, peaches, and pineapple.

The taste is even better than the smell. It is perfect. Love it. Lemon, Lime, Peaches, sour funk, juicy awesomeness is a new flavor I am going to describe this one. Sour, tart, juicy, fruity, my mouth waters and doesn't stop. Excellent.

The mouthfeel is great, sour and tart, with the sweet sugars from the fruit makes this one stand out in my mind. It is somewhat acidic, effecting my sinuses like a few sours that have been epic.

Highly recommended, stunner!
J

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

Just an enormous thanks to Casey for sharing this one. One of the few brews that I have been eagarly anticipating for quite some time. Bottle poured into a tulip.

A: pours a slightly cloudy, orangish yellow. The pour dropped an off white head that receded to a thin rim.

A: funky peaches right off the bat, followed by lemon, some grapefruit, and floral hops. You can just tell this one will be a peach, sour, punch to the taste buds.

T: all I can say is wow. The peaches taste like they are fresh. The sourness is prevalent but not over the top. Lemon and floral notes present. And the there is the residual sweetness at the back, it's almost a vanilla/coconut type of flavor. It finishes dry, sour, and sweet. Simply put, this is fantastic!

M: medium body. aggressive carbonation delivers the peachy, sour goodness all over the palate.

D and overall impression: drinkability is as high as it gets for a beer of this magnitude. Overall, this is one of the best beers I have ever had, and probably my favorite sour to date. I love this beer! Skal.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

NOTE: As this has aged it has soured considerably and lost much of the pach flavors I enjoyed. This review was on 2/20/2010 of the most recent batch. As of 1/1/2011 I would give it probably a 4.2 or so.

Had a bottle of this the day after opening a yellow bus.

Appearance: Nice hazy golden peach, enormous white head with some decent lacing.

Smell: Peach here, good meaty peach, not skin or fluff. The sort of stuff I cut up and put on come ice cream with blackberries. Also a nice funk to it. Very well done, complex.

Taste: Nice peach up front, eclipsed only by the lemony sourness. Bit of vinegar and light funk. Very well done.

Mouthfeel: Perhaps a bit over-carbonated initially, but that quickly fades.

Drinkability: Off the charts, please make more. Beats yellow bus hands down. Between this and Rosso E Maronne, this brewery is going places.

4.72/5  rDev +7.5%

Thanks to Scott Vaccaro for this masterpiece.

A: Milky, hazy, with a thin film swirly head. Looks like an apple juice tripel. A little sedimentation is the only thing that hurts the appearance.

S: Pungent aroma of fresh peaches, hot phenols, sour candy straws.

T: "Millions of peaches, peaches for me". Tart moreso than funky, earthy, potent. A little bit goes a long way with this guy.

M: Good amount of carbonation, smooth, dry. Fills your mouth with peach.

D: A bottle a night of Flaming Fury will make the doctor scurry.

Overall, a quite fulfilling beer. One to be cherished. If you have multiple bottles - drink one now, and save one for years to come.

4.71/5  rDev +7.3%

I drank this from a 375ml bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours a very ugly murky watered down apple cider, very ugly, looks like wort. There is a light white head that is gone quickly.

The aroma is very nice and balanced. It has a very nice medium sour start that gives you what you are looking for in a sour but not enough to over power the senses. It is balanced nicely with some sweet notes at the end, I'd say they are peach but don't necessarily smell like it.

The taste is really nice. It has a medium sour taste to it, not horse blanket funk, just nice sourness. This is a balanced with a very distinct peach finish. It is sour, its sweet, its awesome.

The feel is a little light for my taste and there isn't much of a finish.

This is totally drinkability, I could drink this like juice all day long.

To me this is a peach fruit beer with a spice. It has a nice sourness that most fruit beers don't have, but that is why I like this. This beer is very balanced and very nice to drink.

4.68/5  rDev +6.6%

Thanks for this one Jim!

Pours a cloudy orange/yellow with a finger of head that dies down to a persistent collar. This one just glows with its peachy goodness.

The aroma is a blast of tart citrus. I would have a tough time making out the peaches if I didn't already know that that is what it was. Lots of lemon, grape, and apples mixed in. Not much funk, but there is a bit of mustiness present.

The flavor is WOW sour....sour and fruity and sour and musty and sour and delicious. Did I mention sour? The peaches here lend an awesome fruit backbone but much like the aroma I wouldn't be able to distinguish them from other citrus fruit if I didn't already know that they were in the barrels. There are hints of band-aid funk, but they remain subdued.

The body is medium and the carbonation is a bit more prickly than I prefer but fairly normal for the style. Overall this one has just kicked my ass with its sour goodness. My palate is dead after 4 oz. and I love it. I wish I had cases of this because it is exactly what I look for in an American Wild Ale.

4.65/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured from a 12.7oz bottle into a Struise tulip. Many thanks to Ineedabeerhere for sending this in our latest trade!

A: When I cracked the cap there was a healthy "fffft", a bunch of carbonation dislodged some bottom sediment, and so began a verrry sloooow gush. Pours a wonderfully cloudy peach color with a thin wafer of bright white head on top. Some random splotches of lace were left behind.

S: Sour orchard fruit and funk mix it up with leather, peaches, apricots, and vinegar.

T: Big blast of face twisting sour...and then a funny thing happens. As it warms, it begins to sweeten up a little. Sweet peach and apricot emerge from under the veil of sour. Interesting bit of dry toasted malt comes on late in the finish.

M: Perfect ratios of sour, sweet, and dry. There's not much more about it that I can say. Fantastic!

D: I loved how the personality of this beer changes as you drink it. Starts off sour, turns sweet-ish, and then gives a satisfying sour slap upside the face during the finish. The only drawback? I only had one! Thanks Joe!

4.64/5  rDev +5.7%

375ml bottle into a Birra del Borgo tulip. Enormous thanks to Jason for sharing this, a long-time top want of mine.

A: Milky pale gold body with chunks of yeast and a thin, wispy layer of white bubbles on top. I volunteered for the dregs on this one, and while it shows, I won't hold it against the beer. This might kill me, and I can't wait!

S: Wow, that's sour. Super sour. And awesome. I can feel my nose hairs curling from the sheer acidity. Dry, citric, peach, acetic, and sharp as a razor. Wow.

T: Warheads. Sour Patch Kids. Lemon/lime/peach/cider-vinegar acidity. I feel like this would burn through the bottom of my mouth if I held it for too long. I love it.

M: Smooth medium body with light, prickly carbonation to complement the sharp acidity.

D: This is the definition of intense, and I say bring it on!

Notes: This is one beer that can only be called an experience - and I'm just sad I'm not likely to have it again (unless Captain Lawrence decides to grace us with another batch...hint, hint). I even had some great peachy emissions the morning after the tasting, and it was clear that FF was the culprit. I've never been happier to smell my own farts.

Cheers!

4.64/5  rDev +5.7%

Huge thanks to BevMoIan for opening this up!

A - Hazy straw yellow. Thin white head leaves a light collar and no lace.

S - Huge funk and bretty underripe strawberry. Tropical fruits abound: light peaches (less than expected, really), mango, pineapple, and passion fruit.

T - Citrus, tropical fruit, and salty brine. Big pineapple. Medium sweetness - not as dry as I expected. Fruity as hell. The peaches finally come fully forward late in the glass, when the funk begins to subside somewhat.

M - Light & crisp. medium-light sweetness. Some salty snap.

D - Excellent. Great balance, wonderful fruit profile, easy on the palate but not lacking in complexity. Absolutely top notch.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

So happy to be able to open this one up. I received this from the very generous BA wrapping up my six's BIF. I was watching a movie late last night and decided this would have been a perfect way to end my holiday weekend. Served chilled and poured into a Bell's snifter, this one was consumed on 12/27/2009.

The pour was about what I had expected. Nice hazy peach color with a big head of white that fizzled out very quickly, leaving behind some nice lacing, but nothing that was too terribly crazy. It was when I reached in for my first sip that things really started to take off. Rich, vibrant, and tart notes of peach mixed with horse funk dominated the aroma from the very onset. Just a huge explosion of smells taking over from every angle. Warming only serves to bring out more of this wonderful aroma. Just tart as could be with this bright peach and fruity explosion that seems at times to get balanced out by touches of light spice and hints of oak. The first sip was a throwback to some of the best sours I can remember having in recent memory. Just sublime with rich touches of peach and fruity notes, tart apples, hints of oak and a touch of light spice prickling. But the warmer it go, the more sour it became, eventually just taking over in its entirety and becoming a funky, vinegar infused ale. Simply amazing.

Overall I was blown away with this one. Most of the time the CL sours have not made me fall back in a chair, but this one was certainly the exception. A marvelous concoction here and one that I truly feel lucky to have been able to try.

Batch 1, from notes.

Pours a hazy peach color with small head. Spotty lacing.

Aromas of over-ripened peaches, funky lambic esters. Raw juicy fruits, just bursting. Lemon zest and apricot. Taste follows the aroma. It is fruity all the way through. Shockingly sour, but with a considerable sweetness. Blood Orange, clementines and some moldy bales of hay. Finishes dry with a slight solventy alcohol and spice note. Intense and not for the faint of heart.

Nicely carbonated and very drinkable considering the intensity of this brew. Too bad it's not more available or else I would drink a bottle more often.

Poured from a 375 ml bottle on 11/6/09 along with Hophead101

A - Hazy straw yellow with a decent size foam that receded

S - aroma of tart peaches with enough sour funk to keep you sniffing

T - tart peaches that give way to some oak and funkiness in the finish, more tart than the nose gives away, very nice tasting

M/D - light and crisp in the mouth, enough carbonation to keep you coming back for more, i wish i could drink this more often than my bottle allotment allows me to.

4.62/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle courtesy of the great trader NutBrown. Thanks Alan!

375ml capped green bottle.

I pulled this from my "cellar" and when I popped the cap, I saw what was coming....perfect timing on my part as not a drop was lost!

Yellow yellow, orange orange in colour, very cloudy too, it has about an inch of foam and the lacing looks to be fine and dandy.

Putting my nose over my glass, man, this is one sour puppy! Lemom tartness, lots of vinegar notes, and an unmistakable aroma of peaches. Wow. It smells scrumptious. The way I like my American Wild Ales to smell.

OK, the first sip convinces me right off that this is a superb beer! Peaches galore along with a nice vinegar tartness has my mouth puckering at first but now, after a few more sips, I can taste a fairly large malt backbone of some sweet notes but man, just when I feel they're going to play a big role in the taste, the wonder tart takes over again. And again. Now some pepper shows up and adds a nice spice factor. Wow!

On the light side of medium bodied with lowish carbonation, it finishes decidedly? Tart!

Drinkability? I seem to be zooming through this glass but hang on, the alcohol is kind of up there and brings some warming. Take it slow and easy because of *that* but more importantly, take it slow and easy cuz it's just that damn good. A wonderful brew!!

Flaming Fury from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.