Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Imperial Version) | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Imperial Version)Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Imperial Version)

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States
captainlawrencebrewing.com

Style: American Porter

Added by aerozeppl on 12-19-2010

1.06/5  rDev -72.5%

This was the second of the Smoke series we had at out tasting tonight. Really hoping this one is better than the last one.

A: Starting off good. A vigorous pour produces a nice 3-4cm head on this pitch black libation. The head does not last long, but that's not what I'm here for.

S: The first aroma to meet me was wet band-aides. Hoping it was a fluke, I went in again to see if it got better. It didn't! I still got the band-aid aroma with a backdrop of smokiness. Not pleasing at all.

T: Ignoring the aroma, I give this one a drink. Yuck is all I can say. The flavor is worse than the aroma. In the back of my head I wonder if some pour soul at the brewery has lost a band-aid and it will be at the bottom of my bottle. This is not a good way to bottle condition a beer.

M: Not really sure as it wasn't in my mouth long enough. I would venture to say this has a modest mouthfeel as the mad taste lingered in my mouth. But in this situation, this is not a good characteristic.

O: I really enjoy me some barrel aged beers and wanted this one to be good, but it just wasn't. Could it be a bad barrel? Not sure. But the anticipation of this beer was soon replaced with disgust.

2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

A: pitch black with a half finger of mocha head.

S: bandaid and smoke apple wood bacon up front some alcohol and hints of chocolate

T: super smokey bandaid wrapped bacon hints of chocolate and Tons of smokey peatiness

M: thick and full bodied sewhat tongue numbing and smokey

D: 2 oz was more than enough not a fan

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2013 vintage. 750ml capped bottle into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a 2 finger rich coffee colored head with moderate retention. Beer is pitch black but pretty thin. Lacing is stringy and spotty with decent legs and good stick. Solid.

Nose is maple, smoke, roast and meat. Like a maple glazed smoked ham. Pretty polarizing.

Opens sweet maple syrup, roast, smoke, and burnt malt. Chocolate, anise, and cocoa powder mix in, in the middle. End is sweet with a touch of booze. Sweet chocolate, roast, and cocoa cola finish with a lingering maple and roast aftertaste. Average.

Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and aggressive in the mouth but goes down relatively smooth. Messy finish with a slightly lingering aftertaste. The body doesn't hold the flavor of this one.

This is a pretty middle-of-the-road offering. However, considering its $20, its a hard pass. Not worth the price.

2.81/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle shared by Curran last night.

This one pours a fairly dark black, with no head or lacing, really.

Smells like bandaidy and medicinal smoke, with very light rum, and maybe a little bit of chocolate.

I'm not sure if this didn't age well (it's '13) or the flavors just never really melded really well together, but it really didn't work at all. The smoke character is not really all that pleasant, it's got the dreaded bandaidy, sort of medicinal quality to it. There's a very slight rum character, and no oak or vanilla or any barrel presence of that sort.

This is medium bodied, slightly creamy, but pretty hard to drink due to the unpleasant clash of flavors.

Not good, really at all. Would not recommend.

2.89/5  rDev -24.9%

This cool bottle was sent by boatshoes. My second Smoke from the Oak offering from Fletcher.

Bottled in '10. Poured into a Jackie O's snifter.

Appearance
The beer is a deep ruby-chestnut on the pour, but collects near black. The head is really nice, but fades to a thick collar and broad pillow. The foam is a wet sand color that leaves lots of matching lace.

Aroma
Uhhh, strange. I haven't had many rum barreled beers, but none of them have had many of the same aromas that I'm finding here. There is a big wave of smoked meat/glazed ham. It reminds me of that Aecht Schlenkerla beer that I tried on tap at Jackie O's only a couple days ago. There certainly is a lot of smoke here, sometimes bordering on cigarettes. The spicy, cured meat aroma is nearly only perceptible when the beer is standing still, a gentle swirl brings out nicer aromas. The swirled up aromas include: tannic wood barrels, tropical spices (jerk spice and spiced rum) and roasted coffee and chocolate malts.

Taste
Just about as weird as the aroma but perhaps not as off putting. Its certainly a flavor profile that you need to take slowly and allow your palate to figure out exactly what the hell is going on. The beer starts out with flavors that I commonly associate with Baltic Porters and Export Stouts. It has that rich, berry-and-licorice malt fruitiness with a touch of sweet smoke. Then the rum is unleashed. Its quite sweet and spicy, like Caribbean jerk spice with mango and coconut, lots of toasted coconut. There is a sweet bite of rum alcohol on the back end. I've found myself upping this score a few times as I become accustom to this beer and its unique complexities, but then I bump them back down as my palate gets absolutely sick of these flavor combinations. This is one that is best in small to medium doses.

Mouthfeel
The carbonation is quite gentle, which is nice. It helps give this beer the allusion of a fuller body, which, when you focus on it, is actually only about medium.

Overall
This one is all over the place for me. I can enjoy it for what it is. It certainly is interesting and unique. I'd imagine this would go extremely well with a cigar or some Cajun food or wings slathered in jerk sauce. But in the end, I wouldn't drink this again.

3.01/5  rDev -21.8%

Appearance is brown with thin head and minimal lacing. Nose is heavy on smoke, band aid, and oak. Not getting much rum, just a hint of spirit in the back. Taste has sweet malts paired with a very heavy, somewhat harsh smoky character. The flavor is strong and increasingly more rum character sneaks through. Mouthfeel is too thin for the stature of this brew. Overall, this brew doesn't all add up. Too much going on and makes for a bit of a mess.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Thanks to Mike again, the third of the imperial versions, this was the my least favorite... looks like the other 3... nose is interesting mostly really sweet rum... the taste is too sweet and just plain weird... try the wine and apple brandy, and skip this one

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Shared by Sender, along with the Apple brandy version. Thanks! Poured into a tasting snifter.

This was the last in the series followed by the Wine and the Apple brandy version, and the most disappointing one. I went in expecting spice, chocolate and vanilla, and found none :/ The smoke was fine but in my opinion it should have had something more to offer than just a smoked porter, especially for the hype and what not. Nothing new to say, it's just an above average smoked beer.

4, 3, 3, 4, 3

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured into a sniffer

Appearance: Black with dark brown edges and a dark brown head that lingers until I finish my glass.

Aroma: A mix of chocolate, roasted notes, vanilla, smoky undertones and rum. Mostly rum and booze.

Taste: Slightly smokey and roasty with alcohol and rum, not my favorite.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium carbonation with a boozy finish.

Overall: I already knew that I wasn't going to like this beer, because I don't like rum. The only other rum barrel aged beer I had I felt the same way about it.

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2013 Vintage. Poured in to snifter.

A - Poured black with a thin layer of light brown head that quickly receded to a ring around the edges of the glass.

S - A massive smoke aroma hits the nose right away and overpowers the other elements of the beer in the nose. Some oak and a hint of alcohol (rum) are present in the background.

T - The base beer and barrel aging qualities are much more integrated than the nose suggested. Smoke is still the dominant component but a big charred oak presence shows up along with an alcohol taste that must be the rum with lighter notes of spice and roast in the finish. The rum barrel aging notes are a little rough and don't seem to enhance the overall flavour profile.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2010 bottle.

Appearance - Black with a nice mocha head. Thick collar and nice legs.

Smell - Very smokey. Meaty. A little bit of sugar. Chocolate. The faintest of rum aromas.

Taste - Much more chocolate. A little ashy. Sharp smoke. Sulfur. Oaky. Some rum in the finish.

Mouthfeel - Bitter. Medium heavy. Medium carbonation.

Overall - This is some intense smoke. I don't get the rum so much.

Smoke From The Oak (Rum Barrel Imperial Version) from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.