Hop Commander IPA | Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Hop Commander IPAHop Commander IPA
3.82/5
Very Good
Hop Commander IPAHop Commander IPA

Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
New York, United States
captainlawrencebrewing.com

Style: American IPA

Formerly known as IPA

We jumped the gun along the way making our Hop Commander IPA before a base but it worked out for us. Working backwards gave us an incredible profile to work off of to make a very well balanced IPA with a lighter, softer touch than our Imperial version but still packed with hops.

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 114 | Ratings: 763
3.51/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

There is a canned on date, the beer is 3 months old. The can artwork looks interesting. The beer pours dark yellow to light orange. The taste is fleshy hops, slight citrus, some malt, some pine, & grapefruit bitterness on the finish. Cheers! B

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

Tapped at LaGuardia airport terminal B in Queens NY.

I really, really like this ipa.

Looks like a coors light, smells like a bud light, tastes like a crunch chocolate bar.

Reminds me of The Apprentice ipa from Societe brewing out of san diego.

4.06/5  rDev +6.3%

Found some cans of this in Wegmans and had to give it a try. It is a very good forward IPA. Drinking from the can and get a very dry bitter feel. The smell is citrus but I am missing it in the taste. It is getting better as it warms and I like this beer. Prefer the orbital tilt ipa but this is pretty good. In my opinion both are better than the more expensive 16 oz cans like powdered dreams.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I tried this at the brewery. It poured a clear copper with white head that is leaving a spotty lace. The scent had citrus presence. The taste was nicely balanced and easy to drink with bread malt mixed with fruit hop. The mouthfeel was lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall its a good beer.

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a 12-oz can Captn L canned 1/23/18 from on high into a Spiegelau IPA glass, getting a good thick head that settled rather quickly. Got a nice turbid SRM 4 hazy brownish orange look that rates high, as does the canning—I much appreciate a brew with a Date Canned on it. Can graphics is cute, with a hop-harvester truck slashing into the bines. Lacing is not bad, but not radically sticky either.
Smells lovely of fresh hops, no malt or yeast sniffable.
Tastes a wee bit simple, and not bitter enough for me. Feels like the flavor is too front and center, not enough back of the throat bitterness for an IPA. Hopped and again dry-hopped with the same 3 (Citra, Centennial, Bravo), the malt & yeast are hiding, and the hops too similarly gentle for my palate. Capt L claims a 65 IBU; maybe I need more than 80 IBU to get my hop fix fixed.
Decent carbonation, mouthfeel a tad watery, but a nice mouth-watering aftertaste.
I was astounded by the beauty of Captn L's Tears of Green (dry-hopped with Mateuka & Citra), and so had to try this sixpack of their much more reasonably priced "flagship" IPA. Unfortunately, it's a sadly middle-of-the-road, easy-drinking, undistinguished one-size-fits-all timid brew. I'll try other more adventurous limited Captn L brews, but not this one again.

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, not my preferred method
Look - Amber/Gold with moderate cloudiness, thin off white head with minimal lacing; Smell - decent aroma of pine with some citrus; Taste - sufficient hoppiness and bitterness that I prefer; Feel - crisp and refreshing, consistent from mouth to finish; Overall - a really decent IPA, clean and satisfying for my tastes.

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks amber with good lacing and some haze
Strong hop smell (pine). Good taste balance. Lots of hop character but not a full-on assault of bitterness.
Feels light, well carbonated, tiny bit sticky
Overall decent and wouldn't mind drinking again

3.84/5  rDev +0.5%

Everything about this beer screams American hopped English IPA, so that's one weird mark against the rating since the results are tasty beer regardless. But, they said American IPA, whom am I to argue. So stylistic banter aside, this slightly hazy thin headed brew sports a malty taste that is well tempered by a fruity bitter hop presence that harkens to the OG East Coast IPAs like Victory, Weyerbacher and Southern Tier. Nose further ignited the memory as there is plenty of sweet orange lying atop piney goodness. Finish is a medium bodied mouthful that has nothing cloying going about in the after taste, just solid bitterness. Full disclosure, I picked this beer up thinking it would be a mediocre at best tick, but this seriously is a pretty darn decent beer. If you want a good taster to break the NEIPA mold, here goes it.

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this both on tap and in a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Gold to amber, slight haze, two-finger head. Pretty as a picture.
A strong bouquet of herbs and citrus (lemon, grapefruit).
Fruity, juicy. None of the strong pine or tannin flavors present in similar IPAs.
Good mouthfeel. Bitter/sour flavor wakes the tastebuds and induces salivation.
The definitive East Coast IPA, this is one of the best beers to come out of the New York craft scene.

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had a draft pint at World of Beer in Syracuse at Destiny Mall. A little hazy with a thin creamy head. Nice if not a bit intense citrus hoppy aroma. Taste is a little less so but not bad. A little thin on the tongue with a sour crisp dry finish. I'd buy it again, always try and support locals wherever I am.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

12oz bottle into a pint glass. bottled 6/14/17, so 2 months old here.

looks kinda good, with a hazy peach colored body and generous head which maintains all the way down leaving very nice lacing. However, closer inspection of the body reveals a TON of suspended small dark particles. Oh well, in for a penny....

Aroma is delightful citrus hoppiness with a very faint catty whiff.

taste is decent, but just doesn't equal the nose. there is a citrusy hoppy taste but it seems just a little muted. seems like it could be a top notch brew, just falls a little short to this palate.

Mouth is closer to full than medium, which is nice. There is a somewhat sour bitterness to the finish which spoils it a bit.

Overall, a bit of a jumble here. Not unpleasant overall, but perhaps a pint from a fresh barrel would be superb. wouldn't say no if this one showed up again near here.

4.35/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Nice golden color with one inch head. Great citris smell and taste. Good hop flavor and alcohol was well hidden. Really liked this IPA. I would buy a six pack. A very good East Coast IPA.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Decanted from a 12 oz bottle into a Stangen glass (not my choice/I was at a party).
A: Hazy, golden to orange color with a very lively head and Belgian lacing all the way down. May be a result of the glassware.
S: Citrus to pitted fruit with pine notes evident.
T: More grapefruit than lemon, balanced by medium bitterness of hops.
M: Medium bodied with very nice persistence of effervescence.
O: I very enjoyable American IPA. I had some bad bottles of Captain Lawrence offerings served at local restaurants several years ago, which had put me off the brand entirely, but I was impressed by this and will give it another try.

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I bought this beer along with another. I was fully expecting this beer to be the opening act for the main event. was I surprised! This beer stole the show! It was hazy, had a good great fruit aroma and had a juicy well balanced hops flavor. felt like the dry hops was added early in the fermentation. almost, dare I say, New England IPA-esque.

3.86/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy yellow-bold brilliant color with minimal head and spotty, sporadic lacing. Aroma is of big grapefruit. Taste is unsweetendd grapefruit juice, slightly bitter hops and the balnce is quite good, even though the flavors leave the palate very quickly. Finish is decent, but shortlived. Wish there had been a touch more juice and lingering flavor. A nice refreshing drink, though

3.76/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer was bottled on 12/16/16(thank you for the bottled on date CL) so it surely would have been better fresher. Dark golden color with a one finger head with some brown sediment in the bottom of glass. Taste and smell was citrus and pine with nice carbonation. A decent beer but nothing special.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Solid IPA, based on what else is available at stores like Bottle King, I wind up buying a six of Hop Commander just about every time I visit.

Hop Commander falls way short of IPA's like Kame & Troegs Blizzard of Hops, but it is a nice, grapefruit & pine brew with a hint of cloudyness to it. All in all, not too bad, but not super cool either.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Phew! At last, the Bottle Backlog eradication has brought my hophead self back to my beloved AIPA style! I was really starting to jones after so long away from the fold.

From the bottle: "The core of every great India Pale Ale are hops that give it its heart and soul. Hop Commander IPA gets its name from the ultimate hop harvesting vehicle, and pays tribute to the ingenuity, creativity and hard work of the hop farmer."

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a moderate pour since it is early & I do not feel like wasting precious time cleaning up a potential mess. As usual, once a sufficient amount had been decanted into the awaiting glass, a vigorous swirl was conducted. This raised two fingers of foamy, rocky, bone-white head that quickly fell back to wisps, leaving some great lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with just enough of a slight chill haze that The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon declined a taste, preferring nothing less than 24-carat clarity. Their loss. Nose was full-on, fresh-squeezed grapefruit! I try to drink Simply Grapefruit juice every morning and this was very evocative of my juice. Drool. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was absolutely grapefruit! Oh my. It seems as though my hop hiatus is paying off as it is like my palate has been revived & this is tasting marvelous as a result. I raise a toast to the hop farmer & to the brewer(s). Finish was dry, bitter, citrusy & just what I needed. I highly recommend this for any self-respecting hophead.

Today is W, 15 Aug 2018 & while I did not make my usual impassioned plea at the end of my original review, someone saw fit to put this beer in CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm)! This makes me hop, hop, happy. I am not changing my original (high) scores, since they are of historical, hysterical (?) significance & I do not care for numbers anyway.

From the CAN: "Our flagship IPA is a tribute to the ingenuity, creativity and hard work of hop farmers"; "IPA brewed with Bravo, Centennial & Citra hops".

I was both excited & anxious to revisit this one. I quickly Crack!ed the CAN's vent open & beCAN a Gussie Busch Glug. I was rewarded with two-plus fingers of dnse, foamy, rocky, tawny head with decent retention, leaving loads of lacing in its wake. Nose was dreamy with notes of pine, orange peel, tangerine, grapefruit & lemon. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was quite dry, hoppy & bitter with grapefruit the flavor standing tall, front & center, but it had notes of tangerine, lemon & orange, also. The finish was when I got a cool wash of minty pine. It was a dry, bitter finish, which was very much to my liking. I am unsure that I liked it quite as well as its bottled version, but it remains a beer at which I would not turn up my nose.

3.89/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a clear pale yellow gold in color with a finger of white head. Aroma is grassy, piney, and citrusy hops. Taste dials back the grass and amps up the pine and citrus while adding floral notes. Solidly bitter with a low grainy malt character. Medium body and carbonation. A nice example of a classic American IPA; solidly hoppy, clean malt profile, and moderately bitter.

4.18/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Pier 107 in Piermont. Pours a ruddy, tawny hue with moderate frothing. Thick, dank, pine-filled aroma with hints of grapefruit and pines. Similar flavor profile.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle with a bottling date (29 Sept. 2016) less than 5 weeks ago. 65 IBU. Served in a lager glass.

Quite a nice IPA, with bitterness a bit below average and a relatively mild flavor. Slighty hazy amber body with lots of visible carbonation rising to a thick. white, semi-durable head. Excellent lacing: a full coat is left on much of the glass.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L - Sappy, off-golden color with a white bubbly head. Fair lacing.
S - Citrusy/piney hops.
F - Definitely a dry finish but not too bad.
T - Stringent hoppy bite. Not too bad.
O - At the beginning of the beer I thought I would like it more than I did than at the end. A decent beer. The smell was my favorite part of the beer while all else was fairly solid.

3.65/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy, dirty gold with a bit of a green hue. A modest head which leaves an initial ring of lace and then a few streaks and spots thereafter.

Plenty of caramel malt aroma with a floral hop background. A bit upside down, but still attractive.

Rich body but with an equally high level of carbonation...spritzy. The malt is less pronounced and the hop is biting with a very dry finish. The aftertaste is like lingering black pepper.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured golden orange and creamy in pint glass. Solid overall IPA, pine and citrus notes through with nice mildly bitter hoppy finish. Starts out a little hazy but settles clear. No surprises are uniqueness. Good showing for a standard American IPA.

4.27/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I bought a 6 pack of this in 12oz bottles. It was bottled on 01/19/2016 with a bottle number of 1021 313. I found no expiration date. I poured the bottle in a pint shaped glass.

Appearance: golden, cloudy, lively, and creamy

Smell: hoppy and herbal like

Taste: hoppy, strong carbonation at the end with a slight aftertaste.

Mouth-feel: carbonated, crisp, and coarse

Overall: I was surprised to see this six pack in CVS. Yes, I bought beer at CVS! It's a nice IPA that really had a strong crisp taste. Worth buying again and worth bringing to a gathering. The bottle reads that it is 6.5% ABV but seem lighter then that. A beer I can buy especially if the only place open is CVS which is "not" a place to buy quality beer at all...just in case lol

Hop Commander IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.