Hop Commander IPA
Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

Hop Commander IPAHop Commander IPA
Score:
Ranked #23,373
3.83 | pDev: 9.14%
From:
Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.

New York, United States
SCORE
Very Good
Hop Commander IPAHop Commander IPA
Notes: Formerly known as IPA

We jumped the gun along the way making our Hop Commander IPA before a base but it worked out for us. Working backwards gave us an incredible profile to work off of to make a very well balanced IPA with a lighter, softer touch than our Imperial version but still packed with hops.
Reviews: 120 | Ratings: 778 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by woodychandler:
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.21/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Phew! At last, the Bottle Backlog eradication has brought my hophead self back to my beloved AIPA style! I was really starting to jones after so long away from the fold.

From the bottle: "The core of every great India Pale Ale are hops that give it its heart and soul. Hop Commander IPA gets its name from the ultimate hop harvesting vehicle, and pays tribute to the ingenuity, creativity and hard work of the hop farmer."

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a moderate pour since it is early & I do not feel like wasting precious time cleaning up a potential mess. As usual, once a sufficient amount had been decanted into the awaiting glass, a vigorous swirl was conducted. This raised two fingers of foamy, rocky, bone-white head that quickly fell back to wisps, leaving some great lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7) with just enough of a slight chill haze that The Gelt Gang of Croesus, Midas & Mammon declined a taste, preferring nothing less than 24-carat clarity. Their loss. Nose was full-on, fresh-squeezed grapefruit! I try to drink Simply Grapefruit juice every morning and this was very evocative of my juice. Drool. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was absolutely grapefruit! Oh my. It seems as though my hop hiatus is paying off as it is like my palate has been revived & this is tasting marvelous as a result. I raise a toast to the hop farmer & to the brewer(s). Finish was dry, bitter, citrusy & just what I needed. I highly recommend this for any self-respecting hophead.

Today is W, 15 Aug 2018 & while I did not make my usual impassioned plea at the end of my original review, someone saw fit to put this beer in CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (tm)! This makes me hop, hop, happy. I am not changing my original (high) scores, since they are of historical, hysterical (?) significance & I do not care for numbers anyway.

From the CAN: "Our flagship IPA is a tribute to the ingenuity, creativity and hard work of hop farmers"; "IPA brewed with Bravo, Centennial & Citra hops".

I was both excited & anxious to revisit this one. I quickly Crack!ed the CAN's vent open & beCAN a Gussie Busch Glug. I was rewarded with two-plus fingers of dnse, foamy, rocky, tawny head with decent retention, leaving loads of lacing in its wake. Nose was dreamy with notes of pine, orange peel, tangerine, grapefruit & lemon. Color was an oh-so-slightly-hazy Yellow-Gold (SRM = 4 - 5). Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was quite dry, hoppy & bitter with grapefruit the flavor standing tall, front & center, but it had notes of tangerine, lemon & orange, also. The finish was when I got a cool wash of minty pine. It was a dry, bitter finish, which was very much to my liking. I am unsure that I liked it quite as well as its bottled version, but it remains a beer at which I would not turn up my nose.

Jan 21, 2017
FredZ from New York

4.64/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Exactly what I'm looking for in an IPA. The hop profile is perfect, and is a must buy if you live in NY. This should be your "go-to" IPA.

A- Gold and orange mixed together, healthy amount of head and superior lacing. Poured into a tulip.

S- Citrus, citrus, citrus....lemon, grapefruit, orange, and all the flavors I love. Not too piney. It's a poor man's Heady imo.

M- Not too carbonated, easy to drink. The abv is forgiving, making the alcohol hide in the background.

T- Like I said, this has Vermont written all over it. It is a solid choice, it feels like a Vermont based IPA. Those of us on the East Coast....take note.

O- This beer deserves to be on your short list of "go-to" 12 packs when you just want a hoppy beer to drink. Can't say enough good things about this IPA.

Jan 24, 2015
Tonyjenlasc from New Jersey

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Grapefruit, citrus and herbaceous. Well balanced, super crisp and insanely drinkable. I definitely think this beer is underrated. I was very impressed with this IPA. I could drink this everyday.

Aug 31, 2015
tjcamm from Oregon

3.56/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Apr 02, 2016
ArmedsouthernEr from Mississippi

Jan 05, 2014
EAB65 from New York

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Jun 14, 2017
digitalflood from New York

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Apr 15, 2016
pagesofphotographs from Colorado

Feb 21, 2016
Ronl12 from Massachusetts

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dec 17, 2017

tabhill from New York

Apr 16, 2014
StraightCs from New York

4.52/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this both on tap and in a 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Gold to amber, slight haze, two-finger head. Pretty as a picture.
A strong bouquet of herbs and citrus (lemon, grapefruit).
Fruity, juicy. None of the strong pine or tannin flavors present in similar IPAs.
Good mouthfeel. Bitter/sour flavor wakes the tastebuds and induces salivation.
The definitive East Coast IPA, this is one of the best beers to come out of the New York craft scene.

Aug 27, 2017
MenardMa from Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Feb 15, 2015
tsp247 from New York

Sep 22, 2014
Labo from Maryland

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Feb 02, 2018

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

Jun 02, 2014
Craven from New York

3.74/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dec 22, 2017
BodiesLexus from New York

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Aug 05, 2014
Hop Commander IPA from Captain Lawrence Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 86 out of 100 with 778 ratings