Laughing Dog Cream Ale | Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing
Idaho, United States
laughingdogbrewing.com

Style: Cream Ale

Laughing Dog Brewing's Cream Ale is a traditional cream ale fermented with both ale and lager yeast, this gives us the creamy smoothness of an ale with a nice dry crisp finish.

We start with premium American grown 2 row pale malted barley, add a touch of German pils malt then Australian malt for color and flavor. Finally only choice Northwest grown Hops are added. After carefully fermenting for 2 weeks, we quickly chill the beer and filter.

We allow our Cream Ale to then cold age for another two weeks before kegging or bottling.

Added by woemad on 07-06-2006

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

1.98/5  rDev -38.9%

Poured into a snifter on 6/19/10

Pale yellow, straw-blond color. One finger of foam dropped to a patch of bubbles quickly. Swirling helps a little. Thin retention with a little bit of lace.

Smells of toasted malts, grain, wild corn & earth. Some sweetness is to be had; it actually calls to mind that faux-caramel Halloween candy that has the cream center augured into it. The aroma was immediately recognizable, but it took me a minute to place it. Lightly buttery.

Hmm, the taste is so...so minimal. Seriously, it's subtle nearly to the point of being humorous. Toasted malts & cereal grains account for most of it; almost adjunct-esque but not as bad. Earthy hops with minimal flavor & mild bitterness are apparent. "Meh" would be a gift.

Medium-light body with average carbonation, just enough for the style, I'd say. Moderately crisp & clean finish. Has an odd aftertaste.

It's like Laughing Dog took any yawn-inducing elements they could find from lagers & ales, then put them all together for this beer. Is it drinkable? Certainly; it doesn't exactly taste bad. Would I again pay money for it? Not a chance. Wait, let me consult the bottle. Best served cold; check. Goes well with BBQ or a day at the lake; un-check. Whoops - operator error. I guess this one's my fault.

Pale, pale yellow gold body, hint of haze, bustling with carbonation streams. Big ball of sow-white micro-bubbly foam.

Hay/grass aroma, with a jab of sour lemon.

Light sweet malt beginning, undone by a pronounced sour undercurrent with tkaes over everything by the swallow and into the finish.

Light bubbly mouthfeel. Sour twang destroys drinkability.

Much as I love labs, this is not a good dog.

2.11/5  rDev -34.9%

So I got this bottle in a local for locals trade, thank you isualum12. ummm, I'm going to be as objective as I can here but I don't think it will help much. I really don't review much, its hard. So when I do its because a beer is remarkable, to me at least, and this one is. Just not for the right reasons. "Cream" when you hear it just sounds good, doesn't it ? Anyway, this beer pours a nice hazy gold color with a thin white head that sticks around a bit. Not bad. Smell, I don't know, orange maybe.... not much. Taste is the same. Orange, Maybe ?? I'm glad I tried it, I'm also glad I only got 1. I'll do everything I can to prevent the drain pour, I remain hesitantly optimistic. We'll see.

2.18/5  rDev -32.7%

Laughing Dog- Cream Ale

A- Light, slightly hazy, orange with no head.
S- Sweet sugary orange citrus with a sticky sweet malt.
T- Very sweet and sugary lemon and orange with a touch of hay and straw.
M- very sweet and syrupy sugary. Dry funky wheat hay malt finish.

Overall- Not good. Laughing Dog's worst offering.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Clear yellow brew with plenty of white foam in the PIlsner glass. Aroma is a peculiar under-the-sink smell. Plenty of carbonation and a light mouthfeel. Odd sourish hint along with the slight sweetness of the grainy taste. Surprisingly bitter aftertaste without a trace of hop flavor.

This is pretty awful, like a decent lager spoiled. I find the couple of Cream Ales I've liked both tasted like they were in the wrong category (K├Âlsch and Pale Ale). If this is the real example of the style, there's a good reason it's not too popular outside of Rochester.

Date stamped on the bottom of the 12 oz can is 05/19/16 so it's actually pretty fresh.

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Laughing Dog is basically from my "hometown" where I went to high school and where my folks still live, so I like to get behind what they do and support them. However, sometimes they make that a bit more difficult...

This 12 ounce bottle pours a cloudy yellow with very little head. What does show up dissipates quickly to a patch of bubbles on the surface, leaving little to no lacing behind. It smells of citrus and cloves with a slightly skunky aroma in the rear. Could be an old bottle, but there wasn't a date code to be found on this guy (in fact, lots of info was missing from the bottle, including ABV). Taste is odd and not at all the sweet and citrusy flavor I was expecting from a cream ale. It has an almost peppery sensation backing the citrus notes, and leaves a sour aftertaste in the now dry mouth (but not in a good way like sours do). Certainly didn't have that velvety mouthfeel I was hoping for. I probably won't drink another one of these for some time.

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My first cream ale. 12oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Very light golden almost yellow color. Slightly hazy. Maybe a 1 finger head that disappears almost immediately. Lots of carbonation bubbles in what head there was. Almost no lacing.

S: Not much of an aroma. Very light grains. Very light apple scent. Little sour.

T: Again not much here. Slight lemony/grassy flavor. Little sour. Light grains. Maybe touch of corn. Very plain.

M: Was expecting a creamy mouthfeel but this is all watery. Very slight coating to the mouth.

O: Almost reminds me of a Bud Light that someone tried to add some flavor to. Not a whole lot going on at all.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

2.81/5  rDev -13.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A :: Pale yellow with a airy white head. I looked back at the glass and there was no evidence the head was ever there.
S :: Smells of light grain and bread. There's a hint of yeast with a slight sweetness.
T :: There is a nice balance of hops and malt. Tastes almost like an orange that has ripened one day too long. Very brief, crisp, dry finish.
M :: Very light yet it feels thick. Not sure how else to describe it. Decent and lively carbonation that can definitely be felt. It's light like a lager with the bite of an ale.
D :: Goes down easy. Overall it was not what I was expecting for a cream ale. Not great, not bad...kinda stuck in the middle.

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.95/5  rDev -9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of lemons and malts. Taste is kind of musty and sour, slightly bitter, not all that good. Feels light in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this makes for a mediocre brew.

Pours golden/yellow with a nice fluffy white head. Nose is light citrusy hops, with some grassy notes, some light fruitiness. Taste is similar to aroma. Light to med body, moderate ccarbonation. Finish is light citrusy hops, ending is crisp with some grassy sourness, Ovearll an interesting drinkable brew.

A: Poured a hazy lemon color with a bright, white foamy head that was slightly bubbly and fizzy, while moderately lasting providing a weak lacing upon its decline. Clarity was translucent with a medium-strong carbonation presence. Macro-like in color, head retention and carbonation gets things off to a non-eventful start.

S: The nose emitted a light muskiness of sour grapefruit, lime and lemons. The lime I thought was the most dominant and distinguishable, coming off like a lighter version aroma wise of bud-lime. A damp, wet citrusy nature was reminisces of a lightly sour American blonde rather a cream ale.

T: The flavor was wet and sour lemons and lime. Grapefruit and oranges also add into the mix with a noticeable, light sourness. Pale unsweetened grains add a dry touch and backing along with a light fruitiness of dried apple skins. Moderately bitter overall, perhaps a bit more then usual per style with a pacific west musky hopping that was acidic in nature with a orangey-tangerine bite and a dry finish.

M: bubbly and very high in carbonation. The texture was a bit rough and creamy at first before the rapid onset of carbonation sets in eventually turning the mouthful into a fizzy, bubbly experience. The swallow finds a short fade of sour oranges and lime similar to a coor blue moon.

D: Drinkability was average with a particularly gassy carbonation which im sure will cause you to reach for the Alka-Seltzer pills soon after. Macro-like bubbly carbonation limits multiples while a limited scope of flavor limits enjoyability. Pass because of the gas.

3.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: hazy pale yellow in color with a 1/2" head that lingers around a while.

Smell: lemon zest and some caramel sweetness is very mild on the nose.

Taste: light caramel flavor with some lemon zest, pear, and a soft bitterness. The citrus was a bit too strong here.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer. Way too crisp for the style. Relatively short aftertaste here.

Drinkability: this was did not hit the spot for the style. Overly crisp and did not provide the refreshment expected.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

Insanely bubbled tangerine honey beneath an expansive, airy, ivory crown that filled at least 90% of the glass on the initial pour. These guys must have quality control issues because the LD Sweet Stout that I had last month started out the same way. The proportions of foam and beer are reversing themselves painfully slowly, eventually allowing me to add another ounce or two to the glass. Abundant, chunky lace saves the appearance score.

The nose is pretty typical for a cream ale. It's dominated by untoasted grain and a nonspecific ale fruitiness. It's also a little spicy (gotta be the hops) and is a wee bit phenolic. I'm amazed at how much of the aroma makes its way through such a thick layer of foam.

Cream Ale is an average cream ale in the end. In the beginning, too. Maybe all those bubbles are coloring my impressions, who knows? I enjoyed what I could appreciate of the base beer in Huckleberry Cream Ale. I'm pretty sure that that beer is simply this beer with huckleberries added.

More sweetness and less spiciness would be preferable. To that end, more malt and fewer hops would help the flavor profile and the mouthfeel in any number of ways. Now I'm not so sure that the spiciness is coming from the hops. It tastes (and feels) like the yeast has run amok.

What original and interesting way can I come up with to describe the mouthfeel on a beer that's too light and way too carbonated? Never mind, I've just told you all you need to know. It's too bad that this sort of thing happens so often in the world of craft beer.

I'm thinking that fresh from the tap in Ponderay, perferably in the heat of a summer day, is the best way to enjoy Cream Ale. Of course that leaves out everybody who doesn't live close to Ponderay. Which is most of us. Oh well, perhaps my next offering from these guys will be more to my liking.

3.14/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Thanks goes out to JohnGalt1 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger white head, which disappears quickly, some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, tangy, with some pear/apples, maybe some hops? The taste is malty, yeasty, hoppy, bitter, tangy. Medium body. Drinkable, not like other Cream Ales I've had in the past. Would not drink again.

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours golden cloudy with white lacy head. It shines in color

Smell is weak with a slight skunk to it.
Taste is crisp fruity with mild hop and a push of flowery taste.
Mouthfeel is heavy with carbonization. More then I would like to see on a cream ale but it doesn't take over the whole beer.

Overall this beer is alright but nothing that makes my top beer list.

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

pour is a clear pale yellow with a medium size white head and good lacing.

smell tingles the nose, pear, some hops, light on the malts, citrus, cloves and herbs.

taste is crisp yet creamy, earthy, sweet fruit, sour malt, and lemon, ends dry, tart and a hint of bitter.

3.25/5  rDev +0.3%