Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

DogZilla Black IPA | Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing
Idaho, United States
laughingdogbrewing.com

Style: American Black Ale

True to its IPA roots Dogzilla has a massive hop presence that is Piney and Citrusy. A malty backbone, along with the dark malt gives it a bit of a roasty finish. Brewed with Simcoe and Cascade Hops, Pale Malt, Munich, and Black Barley.

Added by SurlyDuff on 08-02-2008

3.25/5  rDev -3.3%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

2.95/5  rDev -12.2%

Picked up this bottle at Casanova's, mostly for the cool name: DogZilla. Laughing Dog from Idaho is new to me as well, so an easy one to take home.

Head is the color of a malted milk ball center that bubbles up unevenly. Per the label, there's a clear northwest hop aroma that's not complex and over a light roast malt that's hard to discern. In spite of the 6.9% size, the body is extremely light and watery. Roasted malt is stronger than the nose. Hop bite is assertive, grassy flavor. Overall flavor is off centered and weak.

A disappointing but perfectly adequate bottle--expecting more from a Godzilla reference beer. Not big enough to fill those shoes.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

2.2/5  rDev -34.5%

I will admit that I am a fan of the style and was hoping this was good.

Appearance - Best part of the brew. Just about black color with plenty of head that receded fairly quickly given its size. Left picturesque lacing down the glass.

Aroma - Weak...faint smell of roasty malts and hops. Yeasty funkyness I would expect from a Belgian. Not quite Brettanomyces levels, but an aroma I am very sensitive to, as I find it very off putting.

Taste - No real flavor...some bitterness, pepper and earthy notes from the hops. No malt presence. Luckily only a little of that funky character...maybe that is just the smell getting closer to my nose.

Mouthfeel - Quite thin. This is not a light beer or a particularly light style. Thin feel is a bit puzzling.

Overall - Not very good. I drain poured this one, its not worth the calories.

3.43/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Chestnut colored ale with tall rocky and persistent head. Aroma is moderately malty, toasted - caramel, moderate citrusy hops, moderate to heavy bready notes and strangely enough some yeast. Flavor is moderately sweet and moderately hoppy, long bitter finish. Body is thin, texture is watery, soft carbonation. Not bad.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

2.81/5  rDev -16.4%

A - Pours with two fingers of off white head on an opaque, dark brown body. The foam settles fairly quickly and leaves average lace.

S - Some dark malt, pine, and a medicinal sour cherry thing.

T - Pepper, cherry, and caramel malt up front. Some smoky cherry in the middle. Finishes with a hint if herbal hops, char, and strong bitterness.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - Not very good, it is lacking in hop character and there is a medicinal character that us really off putting. I an almost inclined to think it is infected, but based on other reviews it seems that this beer just tastes kind of off.

3.65/5  rDev +8.6%

sour in the mouth with a woody taste, not oak, not piney, reminds me more of acorns. Very tannicky, though not oakey,

Has a nice fat head that goes down slow.

Like the dyslexic parody of god zilla..

Got mine in ashland wi at a liquor store.

My first dark ipa.

3.5/5  rDev +4.2%

22oz bomber bottle. No bottle dating information, which is a problem with this brewery from memory (Sneaky Pete). Poured into a Victory snifter.

A: Pours a dark brown with a crazy high four finger tight bubbled light tan head. Very fluffy head. Lots of sticking lacing.

S: Pine and almost sour smells to it. I don't get much chocolate malt or coffee. I also don't get the BIG hops that I was told this one has.

T: Really nice sip actually. I get that pine note that I smelled. And then the chocolate and a touch of coffee. The close is nice and not too bitter.

M: Medium bodied.

2.59/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark swamp-water appearance with a gushing thick head. It almost overflowed immediately upon pouring. The head seemed to never dissipate.

The smell was strong and lingering, almost sour. Not exactly pleasant. You could practically taste the beer by smelling it.

The taste was something like smashing your tongue with a hop hammer. Fairly bitter, with a citrus tinge.

It was unlike any of the other american black ales that I have tried, and it just wasn't for me. If you are looking for a beer that nearly defies category, this is it.

1.54/5  rDev -54.2%

Appearance - back to back gushers, what gives? Started to uncap and saw a rush of foam up the neck. Finished uncapping over the sink. A minor mess, but another overly active bottle tonight. Pours a nice mahogany with two to three fingers of light mocha head. very stiff and slow to fall.

Aroma - a nice start of citrus and some pine, but then an unmistakeable odor of Orval-like funk. If I were a fan of Orval, this would be an exciting development. As it is, I'm a little bummed.

Taste - no malt presence that I can pick up. A brief hint of citrus, then the overwhelming flood of bitter, sour, acrid, pungent infection. Full on, actually it's maybe the worst infection I've ever tasted. Wow it's really bad. Last night's brew I ended up drinking about half of that one, but here I'm cringing at the second sip.

Mouthfeel - medium-plus on the body. Very gassy of course. This is the only time I can recall taking a mouthfull to get the feel, then spitting it back, wine style. No real problems other than some runaway carbonation.

Drinkability - I just want to be done with this one, a rare statement for me and a beer, even an infected one. I can try it again, but I don't recall ths being that old sample. I'll track it down once more for posterity and see if I can get a good sample in order to fix up these scores.

3.26/5  rDev -3%

My man Rob hooked this up on our trade as it was on my Want List. Thanks man!

Poured from brown bomber without any dates to pint glass.

A - the beer pours a very dark amber brown. It appears black on the pour though when held to the light it is a translucent dark reddish brown with amber edges. Huge 2 finger white head. Solid retention and gobs of lacing.

S - pretty weak nose. Its smells not like any Black IPA I've ever had. Almost dairy in essence which is odd. Some malt character: roast and sweetness. Not much hops, though I think the dairy funk is the hops. Perhaps this bottle is old but I can't verify.

T - similar to the nose. Starts with a nice blend of roasted and pale malts. Soon thereafter the dairy funk arrives. Its not terrible but certainly not great. Medium bitterness and not much else. The funk reminds me of cottage cheese. Finishes semi dry with a lingering bitterness.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - pretty underwhelming. Thanks to Rob for sending the bottle