Alpha Dog Imperial IPA | Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing
Idaho, United States
laughingdogbrewing.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

Added by bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009

As I write this let me note that I’m smiling, and have been for the last 10 minutes. Upon opening, i heard a laughter. A laughter so inexplicable that I did a 360 in my Espia nylon office chair to confront the culprit. It was then that I looked down at the golden rivers and smiled. Not only did my balls tingle mid pour into my chalice, but i felt a sudden connection between myself in this captivating presence. I stand here today, a mere mortal, who has witnessed something extraordinary.

I sunk my upper lip into the chalice and gently leaned back just as far enough so that it flushed through my mouth like a tranquil river. The laughter I was hearing began to intensify as I became fully aware of what was happening; magic. Magic to the point where i had no control over my mind, no control over my bowels, and most importantly no control over my soul. I’m writing this not as a recommendation, but as a demand. Drink up, hear the laughter…hear the laughter…

4.94/5  rDev +30.3%

App: Burnt Honey gold color, decent-fast fading head.

Smell: A lot of dankness. Hops abound with a slight scent of fresh honey.

Taste: Follows the nose almost exactly to a 'T'. I say almost because the taste is more influenced by the hops and malt character is diminished only a little bit.

Mouthfeel: This is high hop territory. The Mouthfeel in this IPA is real rough and strong, but rewarding and interesting if you like or love IPAs.

4.8/5  rDev +26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

OMG!

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

4.6/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a clear golden copper, with a crisp, clean white head

rich rich hoppy aroma, grapefruit upfront with lemon, resiny pine, sturdy floral notes, spicy hops, and a slight caramel malt aroma

bursting with hops, lemon upfront, followed by solid pine, resin, crunchy herbal notes, florals, slight grapefruit, and a nice biscuity malt body

super big and bold with the hops, with a plethora of solid flavors, long, hoppy, glorious finish it just keeps going with more of the spicy hops rounding out the fresh herbal style finish that just makes you want more and more

a truly fantastic IPA. I love big bold hoppy mothers and this one fits the bill extremely well. Solid hoppy notes with just a slight hint of malt at the base. Super smooth for the 8.7 % ABV but its medium body keeps it from feeling super heavy or over the top. An absolute steal at $3.99, I can't wait to get many many many more of this excellent beer. If you like hops, get at least two bottles, and if you don't then leave it alone because you wont like it

4.57/5  rDev +20.6%

Tastes great, very hoppy and robust. I had it for my first time about a couple of months ago. I cannot get enough of this beer. I would highly recommend drinking it. It goes down smooth but it has a certain bite for the after taste. The price is on the high side, but for someone like me, I'm willing to dish out some serious coin to try new beers.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

L: Pours brilliant amber with a light copper tint under a 2” white rocky foam cap that leaves thick hanging lace.
S: Fruit, resin and pine on the nose with malt in the background.
T: A hop driven palate has a creamy malt entrance that gives way to juicy grapefruit and grapefruit rind bitterness with traces of melon.
F: Creamy medium to medium full body and medium carbonation.
O: A big bitter elixir that one might take to cure malaria or general boredom.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

Appears a pale copper hue with a bright white head forming thick, this beer is awesome..fine intricate lacing forms nicely with hints of sugar hops and alcohol in the nose...the Alpha dog has come to play...fiery notes of hop juice and malt sugar come with a green bitterness, I'm loving the hops. The flavor is beautiful with big citric, earthy hop flavor and bitterness with a touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied has me burping with a touch of alcohol and carbonation, very classic feel...the body has some resinous hop oils coating the palate. Overall a very aggressive DIPA that enjoyed, I think it's safe to say that I like Laughing Dog's beers.

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

A: a radiant light honey color with golden and bright reddish-yellow tints. Snow white head with huge thick pieces and chunks of whipped topping. Also, the head maintained a strong presence for sometime. Also a large number of bubbles rising to the top, very active. Lacing was a picture in itself...

S: huge bright hops! I am catching mostly whiffs of green pines, floral, earthy, and maybe some cannabis. Does have sizable hints of honey and sweet rich caramel, smells sweet

T: hops are a dirty earthiness with noble pines, grapefruits, floral fodder, and spiciness all around. This has minimal malt distribution, but I do catch a very light biscuity character. Otherwise, a hop popper! The sweet caramel edge is another hidden agenda but does help move things along as a sweet herbal hopped character.
This is one of the more bitter Double IPA's I have had. Hop character is heavy and has a unusual tastiness. The finish at the back bites and snaps the taste buds. What is the IBU on this bad boy? Another thing, alcohol is not even a concern at almost 9%, very well done

M: finishes bitter and has a mild profile that is gentle. For the strong hop profile this guy is not overly sweet and sticky, which is kind of nice. The flavors are raw and powerful with a mild and somewhat polished finish

D: only complaint is that the profile is sometimes lacking balance. However, I find myself enjoying this brew none-the-less! It is a stretch to say that this beer is "too hoppy," not sure if that is possible for a hop lover, like myself. This one caught me off guard...great! The flavor combination just rubs me the right way

4.5/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Alpha Dog Imperial IPA from Laughing Dog Brewing